Custom POI only spawning in Wilderness

zozoman

Hello,

I currently have a custom POI with the dimensions of W=91, H=107, L=54. My understanding is that it should spawn in large plots like rural/commercial since the length and width are less than 100 but more than 60, however, my POI is only spawning in the wilderness.

The POI does have tags for rural, commercial, and wilderness.

Does the POI need to be exactly 100x100 in order to spawn in large plots?

Thank you for the assistance!

As far as I’m aware the POIs need to be set dimensions, 25x25/42x42/60x60/100x100 and anything over 100 will be wilderness only.

This is because POI placeholders on tiles only accept those dimensions as they’re those sizes. There aren’t any 100x60 placeholders for example. 

So yeah, for RWG to work without custom tiles and custom placeholders you’ll need to rescale your POI or place manually. 

Rural does work differently. 

A poi can be a different size but it removes a tile to place said poi 

A rural driveway also helps ti finish it off and join the road nicely.

But a 91 long by 54 w8fe should be fine but maybe recheck poi and tags etc for any inconsistencies, 

Tho best to build to the vanilla sizes for a city tbh

4 hours ago, VoltraLux said:

As far as I’m aware the POIs need to be set dimensions, 25x25/42x42/60x60/100x100 and anything over 100 will be wilderness only.

Not anything "over", but anything "other" than those dimensions can only be wilderness, unless you're talking about the Western Town or you're willing to make your own Tiles. At one point I thought the rural district would make exceptions, but I've not seen that happen in a while. IIRC, a POI Marker can be made to work where it will take POIs that are the desired size or smaller, but I'm not aware of any tiles where that option is set.

Also, not all Districts support all of the standard sizes. Assuming the OP turned the 91x54 POI into a 100x100 POI, and tagged things appropriately, the Vanilla Tiles with a 100x100 POI Marker are in these districts: commercial, industrial, and rural. There are not a lot of those markers at that size in those districts.

If the OP can trim it to be 60x60 there are more options available: commercial, downtown, industrial, countrytown, rural, and gateway. There are many more markers of this size, specially in the rural district.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

1 hour ago, zztong said:

Not anything "over", but anything "other" than those dimensions can only be wilderness, unless you're talking about the Western Town or you're willing to make your own Tiles. At one point I thought the rural district would make exceptions, but I've not seen that happen in a while. IIRC, a POI Marker can be made to work where it will take POIs that are the desired size or smaller, but I'm not aware of any tiles where that option is set.

Also, not all Districts support all of the standard sizes. Assuming the OP turned the 91x54 POI into a 100x100 POI, and tagged things appropriately, the Vanilla Tiles with a 100x100 POI Marker are in these districts: commercial, industrial, and rural. There are not a lot of those markers at that size in those districts.

If the OP can trim it to be 60x60 there are more options available: commercial, downtown, industrial, countrytown, rural, and gateway. There are many more markers of this size, specially in the rural district.

Thanks for the further info, there's so much to learn in regards to POI Editor that any extra info is super helpful.

2 hours ago, VoltraLux said:

Thanks for the further info, there's so much to learn in regards to POI Editor that any extra info is super helpful.

Certainly. I'm certainly willing to try to answer questions and there's a couple of places on Discord where POI folks congregate.

The nuances of RWG certainly influence what you do in the Prefab Editor and it saves a lot of time if you plan the target district and POI size before you start making something.

It would probably help people new to POI editing if the editor in some way pointed out the appropriate sizes.  For that matter, I'd love an option to place terrain of the standard POI sizes with a click.  It is easier to make terrain adjustments after than to place all the terrain at the right size manually.  I know you can highlight and fill but trying to count out large sizes is a pain.  Maybe I'm missing a quick way to do this that is already there?

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

It would probably help people new to POI editing if the editor in some way pointed out the appropriate sizes.

This would require the Prefab Editor to load an analyze all POI Markers on all Tiles, associate the sizes of those POI markers with the District name, and then relay this information someplace, such as the Prefab Properties window when you're tagging the POI. Today, this is something we do manually and tuck away in our notes. I know MPL once distributed a graphic for A20.

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

For that matter, I'd love an option to place terrain of the standard POI sizes with a click.  It is easier to make terrain adjustments after than to place all the terrain at the right size manually.  I know you can highlight and fill but trying to count out large sizes is a pain.  Maybe I'm missing a quick way to do this that is already there?

If you're placing a POI Marker, the Prefab Editor does know all the standard sizes and offers them as choices.

But I get the sense that is not what you're describing. I think you're suggesting the Prefab Editor have a feature that let you say "start me off with a Size M (60x60) plot of land", which might be handy. For one thing, new designers don't necessarily know there are standard sizes.

At present, the fill feature you mention is the fast way, but rather than count it out, use the F3 window. It tells you the size of the current selection, among other things.

If I want a 60x60x3 block deep plot of TerrainFiller, I start a selection, face down a diagonal, sprint forward, end the selection and see where I'm at. If the F3 window says 48, then I sprint some more, end the selection (again), and check the window. Once it says 60x60 then I stretch the selection to be 3 deep, fill, and I'm ready.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, zztong said:

This would require the Prefab Editor to load an analyze all POI Markers on all Tiles, associate the sizes of those POI markers with the District name, and then relay this information someplace, such as the Prefab Properties window when you're tagging the POI. Today, this is something we do manually and tuck away in our notes. I know MPL once distributed a graphic for A20.

If you're placing a POI Marker, the Prefab Editor does know all the standard sizes and offers them as choices.

But I get the sense that is not what you're describing. I think you're suggesting the Prefab Editor have a feature that let you say "start me off with a Size M (60x60) plot of land", which might be handy. For one thing, new designers don't necessarily know there are standard sizes.

At present, the fill feature you mention is the fast way, but rather than count it out, use the F3 window. It tells you the size of the current selection, among other things.

If I want a 60x60x3 block deep plot of TerrainFiller, I start a selection, face down a diagonal, sprint forward, end the selection and see where I'm at. If the F3 window says 48, then I sprint some more, end the selection (again), and check the window. Once it says 60x60 then I stretch the selection to be 3 deep, fill, and I'm ready.

I wasn't meaning to say what is available from custom tiles.  Just a note that says vanilla sizes for commercial include ..., Residential includes ..., Etc.  Where it would say that so it isn't in the way, I'm not really sure, though.  That shouldn't require analyzing POI markers.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about POI markers on types but when creating a POI.  That F3 suggestion and running at a diagonal will be helpful.  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I wasn't meaning to say what is available from custom tiles.  Just a note that says vanilla sizes for commercial include ..., Residential includes ..., Etc.  Where it would say that so it isn't in the way, I'm not really sure, though.  That shouldn't require analyzing POI markers.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about POI markers on types but when creating a POI.  That F3 suggestion and running at a diagonal will be helpful.  Thanks.

also do the selection and press escape there is a 2nd spot the selection area is located right side before the tabs under the prefab size as well