Tier2 infested clear quest on wasteland and it has 2 or 3 rads, many many ferals, dog

SenLim

(A21 Navezgane default. Day 26)

Prior to this I cleared a t2 infested in the desert (at night) and it was not a big problem.

Then...

I picked up another t2 infested clear quest and this time it was on wasteland.

There were 2 or 3 rads, and many ferals (maybe like 3) plus a dog.

Is this intended or normal?

Do you usually set up some kind of "mini horde base" when doing infested clear quest?

Sounds about "as intended". Usually something simple, like a wood block in a doorway, turn most those fights into relative easy-mode. The POIs themselves are designed to offer some defensive options, but spotting those on on the fly and using the well might need some quick feet; easier to be somewhat prepared.

That's normal, you're in the wasteland.  You get cops, dogs and ferals on Day 1 in the wasteland.

As for setting up a base, no, but I haven't done an infested clear in the wasteland (though I have done a T6 infested clear in Higashi Tower, and the only real problem was the final fight.)

13 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Sounds about "as intended". Usually something simple, like a wood block in a doorway, turn most those fights into relative easy-mode. The POIs themselves are designed to offer some defensive options, but spotting those on on the fly and using the well might need some quick feet; easier to be somewhat prepared.

Hm yes I should have. This POI is a small radio camp and so there were no doorways but next time I'll make a super-mini base for things like this.

Wasteland is the hardest biome and so you'll have the most difficulty there (whether or not you consider it difficult).  Infestations have a lot more zombies and even though it is supposedly one tier higher, certain POI can feel like they are a couple of tiers higher because of how the extra zombies spawn.  Combine the two and it's no surprise you had those.  As far as a base?  You shouldn't need it unless you're not ready to be questing in the wastelands.  Get behind a doorway or something to funnel them and use a gun and as long as you're ready for the difficulty (armor, weapons, etc.), you should be able to do it.  Worst case, you can get up high and most zombies aren't going to be able to hurt you while you're attacking them (that requires room to get up high and doesn't work in every POI).  You can also backtrack your way out of the inner parts of the POI and some zombies might start attacking walls and such, cutting down the number you have to fight at once.  And if you're attacking as you retreat, you'll whittle them down.  The main thing is to learn the strategy that works for you in these situations.  And if you die, well, that's also how you learn.  :)

19 hours ago, SenLim said:

(A21 Navezgane default. Day 26)

Prior to this I cleared a t2 infested in the desert (at night) and it was not a big problem.

Then...

I picked up another t2 infested clear quest and this time it was on wasteland.

There were 2 or 3 rads, and many ferals (maybe like 3) plus a dog.

Is this intended or normal?

Do you usually set up some kind of "mini horde base" when doing infested clear quest?

As intended, in a20 tfp fixed the "free bonus loot stage" by being in biomes other than the forest, now in A21 it properly ups your GAMESTAGE as well. So you'll have to face harder things inside poi's in other biomes as there is both the Poi gamestage bonus, as well as the biome bonus. In a20, you could loot in the wasteland and get massivly better loot basically free, since it never effected the players game stage, so zombies in a wasteland poi would be no diff than the forest, this has changed in A21. You now face a gamestage increase for the better loot.

16 hours ago, Riamus said:

Wasteland is the hardest biome and so you'll have the most difficulty there (whether or not you consider it difficult).  Infestations have a lot more zombies and even though it is supposedly one tier higher, certain POI can feel like they are a couple of tiers higher because of how the extra zombies spawn.  Combine the two and it's no surprise you had those.  As far as a base?  You shouldn't need it unless you're not ready to be questing in the wastelands.  Get behind a doorway or something to funnel them and use a gun and as long as you're ready for the difficulty (armor, weapons, etc.), you should be able to do it.  Worst case, you can get up high and most zombies aren't going to be able to hurt you while you're attacking them (that requires room to get up high and doesn't work in every POI).  You can also backtrack your way out of the inner parts of the POI and some zombies might start attacking walls and such, cutting down the number you have to fight at once.  And if you're attacking as you retreat, you'll whittle them down.  The main thing is to learn the strategy that works for you in these situations.  And if you die, well, that's also how you learn.  :)

In those cases I usually try to run outside of the poi and fight them out there. Stuff goes bad? nerd pole up the side of the poi to give yourself a breather, only need to be 3-4 blocks high for most things to be unable to hit you save for vultures and cops.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

Quick rule of thumb: More skulls in the right top corner of the screen means more ass-handing ability of the zombies you might encounter.

You actually did a smaller-sized forest T4 plus the gamestage bonus from the infection. I definitely have seen radiated zombies in forest T4s while raiding them without a quest.