Threat levels

ZehMatt

Why? That would be really hard for the devs to balance. The difficulty options just make it so you do more damage to zombies which directly makes those POI easier.

Trying to change the tier of the house based on your difficulty level would require the devs to remake every single one of the like 1,000+ PoI for every possible difficulty combination, with an end result of . . . why? If you do more damage then you will tear through the zombies easier either way

13 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Why? That would be really hard for the devs to balance. The difficulty options just make it so you do more damage to zombies which directly makes those POI easier.

Trying to change the tier of the house based on your difficulty level would require the devs to remake every single one of the like 1,000+ PoI for every possible difficulty combination, with an end result of . . . why? If you do more damage then you will tear through the zombies easier either way

They mean that whether or not the danger meter shows is tied to difficulty so that if you're on an easy difficulty, it'll show, but if you're on a harder difficulty, it will not.  That can work but I'd prefer just having an option.

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

They mean that whether or not the danger meter shows is tied to difficulty so that if you're on an easy difficulty, it'll show, but if you're on a harder difficulty, it will not.  That can work but I'd prefer just having an option.

Exactly. For a game where exploration is one of the key elements especially with all the new POIs this ruins the fun of it, and yes I know I could just use mods but do I have to seriously always mod the game to just have a good time out of the box?

Honestly they need to put the default back to Nomad, as adventurer gives a really unbalanced game experience, as on Adventurer the player deals I think 25% more damage to zombies, while the zombies deal 25% less to the player. Nomad is even both zombies and players deal full damage to each other. I have no idea why the default switched from nomad to adventurer, well.. unless its just because new players today are just that god aweful that they get owned on Nomad... Which is possible, as I watched a streamer play the game her first time and it was... pretty painful to watch as even when I was a new player I was not anywhere near THAT bad. She didn't even do her intro quest. Was using raw corn as food, didn't even spend her skill points, did alright on horde night as she was in a group with 3 other people. Twitch intergration was on, so they never had to struggle for anything as people in the chat just kept handing them everything. Poor girl did not even make a stone axe, and was using a stone sledge (sometimes a bone knife) to break into things, when the stone axe would have been better overall. It just was REALLY sad to watch. Streamer I mentioned thou IS fun to watch, she just did.. horribly at 7dtd, and I largely blame the fact her first game ever was multiplayer with twitch intergration turned on, so she never really had to learn how to play the game much.

33 minutes ago, ZehMatt said:

Exactly. For a game where exploration is one of the key elements especially with all the new POIs this ruins the fun of it, and yes I know I could just use mods but do I have to seriously always mod the game to just have a good time out of the box?

Yes you do, in todays 7dtd you pretty much have to. At a mimimum use khaines 60 slot backpack mod, this alone is a massivle quality of life change, its only 15 slots more than the vanilla backpack but the gameplay difference is MASSIVE. Really wish tfp would make it 60 by default. Also the amount of skulls also gives you a loot bonus. like a t4 poi in forest generally has your loot scale equail to your game scale, where as a T1 poi, your loot scale is about or a bit higher than half your gamestage.

The skulls represent more the amount of zombies and the size of the poi and also chance of higher tier zombies spawning as some sleeper volumes are set to use higher tier zombies than normal.

6 hours ago, Scyris said:

Honestly they need to put the default back to Nomad, as adventurer gives a really unbalanced game experience, as on Adventurer the player deals I think 25% more damage to zombies, while the zombies deal 25% less to the player. Nomad is even both zombies and players deal full damage to each other. I have no idea why the default switched from nomad to adventurer, well.. unless its just because new players today are just that god aweful that they get owned on Nomad... Which is possible, as I watched a streamer play the game her first time and it was... pretty painful to watch as even when I was a new player I was not anywhere near THAT bad. She didn't even do her intro quest. Was using raw corn as food, didn't even spend her skill points, did alright on horde night as she was in a group with 3 other people. Twitch intergration was on, so they never had to struggle for anything as people in the chat just kept handing them everything. Poor girl did not even make a stone axe, and was using a stone sledge (sometimes a bone knife) to break into things, when the stone axe would have been better overall. It just was REALLY sad to watch. Streamer I mentioned thou IS fun to watch, she just did.. horribly at 7dtd, and I largely blame the fact her first game ever was multiplayer with twitch intergration turned on, so she never really had to learn how to play the game much.

Yes you do, in todays 7dtd you pretty much have to. At a mimimum use khaines 60 slot backpack mod, this alone is a massivle quality of life change, its only 15 slots more than the vanilla backpack but the gameplay difference is MASSIVE. Really wish tfp would make it 60 by default. Also the amount of skulls also gives you a loot bonus. like a t4 poi in forest generally has your loot scale equail to your game scale, where as a T1 poi, your loot scale is about or a bit higher than half your gamestage.

The skulls represent more the amount of zombies and the size of the poi and also chance of higher tier zombies spawning as some sleeper volumes are set to use higher tier zombies than normal.

Those are some good points. I think the learning problem could be alleviated by having the city/town/area where the player initially spawns being very mild and just enough resources to get the player going and after that it should be entirely up to the player where its going. Look at most successful games, they all have some sort of tutorial/starting area where the player can learn the basics without being overwhelmed but once you walk away into whatever region there should be no more hand holding, like almost all Fallout games gave you a very safe starting zone but if you dared to walk too far out into the wild you most likely get ruined. It shouldn't be too difficult to have each random generated map a generally safe starting location and the threat level indicator should be removed entirely and rather somehow express the danger in a more natural way, like the sound of many zombies when being outside, the state of the POI and so on, many ways I can think of, this is just lazy.

It isn't uncommon for games to have the default difficulty one where more damage is fine by the player and less to the player.  I don't really see a problem with that.  I'm sure almost all players know they can change the difficulty to sit their playstyle.