Make tier 6 craftable

krazykreeper59

I think they should make quality 6 weapons and tools so that they cannot be found/bought, but rather that they have to be crafted. I feel this may create an incentive to use the new crafting magazine system, because right now, besides your necessary things like work stations and food, there isn't much need to work into magazines like rifles and armor, because sooner or later, you are going to find Q6, which as of right now you can only find or buy. What's the point in hunting those magazines or spending your resources crafting a Q5 precision rifle when you might find a Q6 on your next outing. Hence, I think the only way you should be able to get Q6 is by crafting it yourself.

Alternate idea.

T6 is only found/bought. (As currently is)

Add in T7 that is craftable but requires a t6 version as a component.

Then you can craft up to T5, giving crafter purpose, then you have to find a t6, giving looters purpose, and only then you can make t7, giving crafter purpose again.

I'm thinking back to some MMOs where the end game gear is craftable but includes a rng drop as a component. Same concept. Brings value to all.

It is very unlikely they'll add another quality level to weapons/armor.  That seems to be a firm "no" from them.

Quality 6 is apparently a placeholder for legendary items, which would not be something you'd be able to craft.  I don't know how accurate that is as although I've seen it referenced various times here, I don't remember if it was stated by a dev.  But if true and if they do eventually put in legendaries, then they wouldn't want to backtrack and remove crafting of quality level 6 items.

18 hours ago, Riamus said:

It is very unlikely they'll add another quality level to weapons/armor.  That seems to be a firm "no" from them.

Quality 6 is apparently a placeholder for legendary items, which would not be something you'd be able to craft.  I don't know how accurate that is as although I've seen it referenced various times here, I don't remember if it was stated by a dev.  But if true and if they do eventually put in legendaries, then they wouldn't want to backtrack and remove crafting of quality level 6 items.

It was talked about before, I think Madmole was the one who mentioned legendries

There are overhauls/mods already that take crafting to T6 (and higher). 
Legendary items don't need a "Tier".  They would be unique (or super-rare) items that are Legendary through their given properties/stats/built in mods.

Example:  Legendary sniper rifle - "OSOK" - One Shot One Kill - Entity damage 300, effective range 200 (plus player buffs/perks).  Built in 8x scope, extended magazine, suppressor, bipod.

Done.  No crafting necessary.

Edited by Evil_Geoff
Additional thoughts/clarification. (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Evil_Geoff said:

There are overhauls/mods already that take crafting to T6 (and higher). 
Legendary items don't need a "Tier".  They would be unique (or super-rare) items that are Legendary through their given properties/stats/built in mods.

Example:  Legendary sniper rifle - "OSOK" - One Shot One Kill - Entity damage 300, effective range 200 (plus player buffs/perks).  Built in 8x scope, extended magazine, suppressor, bipod.

Done.  No crafting necessary.

The label "legendary" is a tier in a way.  They are both nothing more than labels and a legendary should be considered to be better than normal stuff (so if what the game treats as normal is up to tier 5, then legendary is essentially tier 6).  I don't know if they'd actually show it as a tier 6 item or just have no tier number listed.  It wouldn't really matter either way.  But the little that has been said suggested they'll replace tier 6 if/when they are added.

They could add more tiers.  Make tier 6 craftable and add legendary stuff after that.  Or make up to tier 50 if they wanted.  But unless they are scaling the rest of the game to handle the damage increases or they are diminishing the damage increases per tier to compensate, it just becomes an unbalanced mess.  In the end, if the game is balanced for 5 tiers, then even if you changed it to 50 and balanced it for that, it'll really just be the same game but with different numbers.

This can be modded pretty easily - currently on my server I have it set up so there's another tier of weapons above the highest vanilla tier which can only be crafted and which requires top tier vanilla items as an ingredient.  The main problem I'm having now is that b323 removed the ability to scroll down in the crafting unlocks, so now you can ONLY have five tiers on each crafting skill, which is just a terrible design decision imo.  They claimed they were fixing a bug when I reported it...but now they've essentially blocked modding of the crafting skill system. :(  I would have to cram all the vanilla items AND my added items into five tiers.  Which is just gross.