Converting/Updating A20 Prefabs to A21

My notes are:

At Main Menu, F1:
prefabupdater loadtable
prefabupdater updateblocks

The first command just needs 1-2 seconds to complete and will say nothing.

The second command will do all of the POIs at once and will give you status messages.

I suggest having a backup of your files. This will not correct everything, but will get most things. You're still likely to find blocks where their rotation has changed. It won't do anything related to textures that were removed from the game. Instead, you'll seemingly get some other random texture painted on blocks in their place.

Once converted, if you load up a POI in the Prefab Editor and find the "missing block" block, look for warnings on the console and they'll tell you the name(s) of the missing blocks. If you have more than one you'll have to otherwise figure out what each missing block used to be. That's often easy in the context of a kitchen ("where did the stove go") but harder in other places.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously there's not going to be a fix for this. But I find it strange that my custom blocks going from A20 to A21 still appear as ? blocks. Have to manually delete each one individually and replace them back.
I guess once they are ? blocks, they don't remember the name ID's for those blocks

11 minutes ago, FranticDan said:

Obviously there's not going to be a fix for this. But I find it strange that my custom blocks going from A20 to A21 still appear as ? blocks. Have to manually delete each one individually and replace them back.
I guess once they are ? blocks, they don't remember the name ID's for those blocks

I believe some will show in the console as warnings.  You can also mass replace all of the missing blocks to air versus manually one at a time.

3 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I believe some will show in the console as warnings.  You can also mass replace all of the missing blocks to air versus manually one at a time.

For me personally, it'll be more of a hinderance to turn them into air, I'll forget where all of my custom blocks are supposed to be, and there's hundreds of them!
Doing "CustomBlock" to "CustomBlock" doesn't work unfortunately

2 minutes ago, FranticDan said:

For me personally, it'll be more of a hinderance to turn them into air, I'll forget where all of my custom blocks are supposed to be, and there's hundreds of them!
Doing "CustomBlock" to "CustomBlock" doesn't work unfortunately

I haven't done it myself, but I think you can update the .csv file with a list of your custom block names and tell it what you want it changed to.

@MichaelL. and @zztong might know more about this.

5 hours ago, Laz Man said:

I haven't done it myself, but I think you can update the .csv file with a list of your custom block names and tell it what you want it changed to.

Yes, @stallionsden showed me originally. There's a feature TFP ships that they use to convert an older version's blocks to a new version's blocks. It's only needed if the block name has changed for some reason. In the game's Config folder you'll find a file called something like BlockUpdates.csv and you can make your own entries. You have to mimic the entries. I usually tack my stuff onto the end of TFP's file. I sometimes keep a copy of what I added in my modlet, but the commands won't look there to my knowledge. (I've probably never tried it.)

After that, you can use these two commands in F1 at the main menu:

prefabupdater loadtable
prefabupdater updateblocks

It doesn't give you any control over block rotations, so it cannot be used to make adjustments like that.

5 hours ago, FranticDan said:

But I find it strange that my custom blocks going from A20 to A21 still appear as ? blocks.

Odd, I didn't have that happen. If the block name stayed the same in both versions of your modlet then it should have been fine when you loaded the POI in the Prefab Editor.