Game crashing quickly/instantly upon joining multiplayer servers

Tuesday

Hello there,

I haven't played 7D2D in about a year, and I have returned to play the Darkness Falls mod with a friend. Upon joining a MP DF server (I have tried three), receiving and loading the configs, and downloading the map, the game crashes to desktop. The furthest I have gotten into the game has been a few seconds following spawn, which happened once; normally, the crash occurs the instant before I can spawn. My game version is alpha 20.6, and my Darkness Falls has been updated accordingly. (I did validate my files after updating to 20.6, as well.) Note that I can create a single-player game and play just fine; I am able to spawn in, initiate the DF starting quest, loot items, adjust video settings, and so forth, all without a crash.

You will notice at the end of my log (here) that I am encountering a fatal SIGSEGV signal. I tried combing through the log's WRNs and found nothing remarkable. The attached log is very typical of all the other logs that have been generated during my attempts. Hopefully the signal and the stack frames will provide clues to someone more knowledgeable. 

I will mention that I am running the game without EAC, since DF is not compatible with it, and without GameSparks. I have tried joining MP DF servers both with and without Proton; the only noticeable difference was that, with Proton enabled, server pings were 800-1000+ ms. (Pinging the server address from terminal returned ~40ms.)

For convenience, some of my specs are:

Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS x86_64

i3-6100 3.70 GHz

16GB RAM

GTX 970

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone may be able to offer!

I would also recommend trying GLCore instead of Vulkan.

I will also note that that CPU is right on the cusp of what Vulkan supports. IIRC 5th-gen intel chip drivers aren't supported by Vulkan, and your particular chipset is basically the lowest spec first press of the 6th-gen. As a whole your system isn't really set to run a major overhaul like Darkness Falls. Even if you were using Windows and DirectX.

Thank you both!

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

"Vulkan - Out of memory!"

Check your SSD. Do you have a partition for swap? And don't start a browser or any other programs while playing DF. I heard it needs lots more RAM than vanilla.

I do in fact have some swap space set up, but it's probably not nearly enough (2.0 Gi). I'll try closing my browsers which, as a bad habit, I leave open for work. 

2 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

I would also recommend trying GLCore instead of Vulkan.

I will also note that that CPU is right on the cusp of what Vulkan supports. IIRC 5th-gen intel chip drivers aren't supported by Vulkan, and your particular chipset is basically the lowest spec first press of the 6th-gen. As a whole your system isn't really set to run a major overhaul like Darkness Falls. Even if you were using Windows and DirectX.

I do recall trying with GLCore. If I remember correctly, running with GLCore makes the menus and server browser more responsive. With Vulkan they're a tad laggy. I have been wanting to upgrade my CPU for quite some time; ideally I'd want to upgrade to a newer generation chipset, but I might need to buy a new mobo to support that, IIRC. (I have a Z170X. I think that'll support 7th gen but I can't remember for sure.)

Thanks again for the help! I'll let my friend know we'll probably need to play vanilla for the time being.

2 hours ago, Tuesday said:

I do in fact have some swap space set up, but it's probably not nearly enough (2.0 Gi).

Unity will require a minimum 8GB Swap set.

Also, yes the Z170X does support 7th gen.  I would go with a minimum of a 7700k if you're upgrading. Pair it with an Evo 212 cooler and you will get good boost for a reasonable price. Can probably even OC it some if the MB supports that.

DF mod require a much more RAM then vanilla, and amount of consuming RAM increases with each new Alpha. My PC is 16GB RAM + 10GB SSD swap, with 1060 Video, and starting from A20 I may play only with lowest possible view distance and textures, either game craches after above 20mins with memory error. With lowest settings game looks like piece of rock, but at least it not crash almost hour, to be honest RAM consumption depends on how much you are exploring map, I suspect it not clean correct from memory, so more explore=faster crash. 
Memory consumption with heavy mods like DF or UL is just insane, multiplayer servers restarts every 1-2 hours, and reset regions each days to keep performance. SO for this game at current state 16GB RAM is nothing (I do not talking about vanilla, because do not play it since A17)