Chambers Mods

Chambers

INTRODUCTION

(feel free to skip)

The below is a series of mods excerpted from my Overhaul mod. And because these mods are excerpts, their structure can sometimes appear to be a little off when ported directly into the vanilla game. Primarily this has to do with the fact that the Overhaul has an additional Tech Level introduced in between T0 Stone and T1 Iron, which means -- when porting these mods over to vanilla -- there's a few extra items dumped onto T0 and T1 than would be there under proper rpg progression rules.

But more to the point of the mods themselves, the overall concept of my Overhaul was to take all of the mods that everyone has done (so, same as usual for Overhauls to this point) and then integrate them onto the character sheet. That integration means, all of the new stuff is introduced with separate skills under the existing rules of rpg progression, instead of just being inserted into a few existing skills. And in order to make that happen, a number of new skills had to be added to the game. So many skills, in fact, that it entailed making an entire new attribute, which meant rebalancing all of the skills across six attributes. And as long as I was going that far, figured might as well reorganize the skills under a Post Apocalypse rpg setup (Hunter, Mad Scientist...) instead of a High Fantasy (Strength, Dexterity...) rpg setup. So I did, and there you have it.

Howsoever, while most of the mods assembled into the Overhaul were all of yours, I did add a few mods of my own. Which is what I begin to excerpt below.

WEAPON MODS

Additional Bows

Adds two early bows, a composite and a shortbow to T0, and two late bows, a recurve crossbow and a lever bow to T3.

(Download link under the spoiler)

Spoiler

Additional Bows

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1scEgkvkci0rLZg7vcQHJqGzIc_qqCK85/view?usp=sharing

Archery fans, do you miss not having new bows in the late game? Or do you ever wonder about the large technology gap between the primitive bow and the mechanical recurve bow?

Well, here you go -- Four new weapons for the archery skill. The composite bow is the standard upgrade from the primitive bow, with stats sitting in between the primitive and wood recurve. The shortbow is a variation of the composite’s stats, offering a quicker pull by trading away power and range. The lever bow is a modern bow that offers the assisted power of a compound bow with the more consistent draw of a recurve, thus offering a great deal of power with a smooth draw. The reverse crossbow is faster, quieter, and easier to use than a regular compound bow.

Q: Are these new bows fully animated?

A: They all have draw and loose animations. But that does not mean they are fully animated.

Q: What animations are missing?

A: In 7dtd, each weapon has a number of extra animations, such as for switching weapons and when you abort a reload. However, for those irregular actions these new bows just use the default game animations.

Q: Will you ever add those extra animations?

A: Probably not. This is a hobby mod, and that’s a lot of work.

This mod uses a number of paid models, namely:

Oneida Bow (lever)

Survival Vol 1 (composite)

Custom Crossbow (reverse)

Bows and Crossbows (shortbow)

NEW BOWS

TECH LEVEL 0

Composite Bow

Shortbow

TECH LEVEL 3

Lever Bow

Reverse Crossbow

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

Additional Arrows

Adds scrap arrows made from glass and fiberglass arrows made from, well, fiberglass (or in this case military fiberglass).

Spoiler

I am a fan of archery. As in, IRL.

And thus, entering into 7dtd, I wondered where glass arrowheads were. Now, you might be thinking, “wha???” But glass arrowheads are quite effective. Don’t believe me? Here’s a video:

Thing of it is, people used to use flint and obsidian (nature’s glass) to make arrowheads because they are easy to shape and hold an edge. But they aren’t the strongest stones in the world – kinda the point. In comparison to those old stone arrowheads, glass fits right in in strength and malleability.

And the thing of it is, in a post-apocalyptic survival situation, high-quality glass is really easy to come by, and really easy to make arrowheads from.

While we’re on the subject, where’s lightweight modern arrows. Now both exist.

The scrap arrow sits between the stone arrow and iron arrow in usefulness, and it is more difficult to craft than stone, but way easier than iron, requiring only a campfire. Fiberglass, on the other hand, requires military fiber as an ingredient and is thus very difficult to craft, but is a better arrow than even steel.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

NEW ARROWS

Scrap Arrow

Scrap Bolt

Fiberglass Arrow

Fiberglass Bolt

Long Spears

https://7daystodiemods.com/long-spears/

Adds polearms and a number of extra throwing spears to the game under the Javelin skill. Polearms cannot be thrown, but have longer reach and a heavy attack.

Spoiler

Did you ever wonder why zombie games don’t feature polearms?

(It’s because weapons with a long reach are way overpowered vs a humanoid that lacks tool use.)

But for everyone that doesn’t care about that, here is a series of long spears that provide an immense amount of reach. The weapons are divided into two classes: javelins that are thrown and polearms which are, well, not. The javelins have their range slightly increased over the base wooden spear, while the polearms have a greatly extended reach.

Unfortunately the attack animation remains the same– short. So, we will all have to think abstractly and assume the characters are doing full arm extensions even if we can’t see it.

NEW SPEARS

You may have noticed there are more spears added than melee Tech Levels, and that is because the Overhaul mod these were made for has an additional Tech Level squeezed in between Stone and Iron.

This mod uses paid Unity Store assets, namely Spears – Medieval weapons Pack and Medieval Polearms Pack.

JAVELIN

Pitchfork

Boar Spear

Leaf Spear

Heavy Spear

POLEARM

Goedendag

Bardiche

Partisan

Throwing Knives and Shurikens

https://7daystodiemods.com/throwing-knives-and-shurikens/

Adds throwing knives and shurikens to the game, falling under the javelin throwing skill. Shurikens have longer range than throwing knives, but do even less damage.

Spoiler

Okay, so, if you stop and give it some thought, it’s easy to realize that small throwing items such as shurikens aren’t going to do much to a zombie. Except maybe make them look like a porcupine, if you throw enough of them.

But with shurikens, you can’t escape the ‘coolness’ factor. And I have playtesters, and they really, REALLY wanted shurikens. (That is, they really wanted them until they got them, and now, meh.)

At any rate, this mod introduces a number of shurikens and throwing knives, all of them falling under the Javelin skill. In relation to other weapons in the game, throwing weapons are the least damaging weapon available, but they are super light on materials to craft, and they retain the ability to gain additional damage from adding strength to the throw – same as javelins. They are also retrievable. Plus they stack up to 10, which can be useful early game. Sometimes.

Unfortunately, we must speak about the animation. There isn’t a light-item throwing animation in the game. There is only the spear animation, and thus that is the animation that had to be used, if you don’t want errors to creep in. And since these weapons also had to stack (because reasons), that meant the animation couldn’t end in a Drop item position. Long story short, throwing weapons uses the left trigger to the throw, not the right. And after the throw animation, the game must complete a thrust spear animation to reset the hand position. So we all just have to think abstractly and pretend that that is all part of returning to the balance stance used for proper throwing.

Plus since spears are long and shurikens aren’t, they’re held out of the viewscreen. But hey, compromises have to be made to be cool.

NEW THROWING WEAPONS

You may have noticed there are more items added than melee Tech Levels, and that is because the Overhaul mod these were made for has an additional Tech Level squeezed in between Stone and Iron.

This mod uses mostly a free Unity Store asset, namely Shuriken pack, but it does use one paid asset, namely HQ PBR Throwing Knife.

JAVELIN

Scrap Shuriken

Refined Scrap Shuriken

Iron Shuriken

Steel Core Shuriken

THROWING KNIVES

Scrap Kunai

Iron Kunai

Fiberglass Throwing Knife

ZOMBIE MODS

No Demo Demolishers

https://7daystodiemods.com/no-demo-demolishers/

Removes the explosive capability of the Demolisher zombie's suicide armor.

Spoiler

Don’t like telepathic zombie suicide bombers in heavy armor? This is a simple mod that removes that functionality from their suits.

And in exchange, they have their already massive HP pool doubled. Bring armor piercing rounds.

spacer.png

(Pictured are a number of fiberglass quarrels loosed into the zombie's explosive trigger.)

Edited by Chambers
added the newly released bow mod (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Ganeshakw said:

Hey, what else is there in this mod ?

Looks like its not even half of the contents. Please do share.

It's actually not even a tenth of the contents. I've been working on this thing since April. And I do plan to extract all of the parts that I have made and share them with the public, as time allows. 

As for the Overhaul, currently the Overhaul is still being playtested. It is in a functional state, but it is still being polished. I don't mind posting the Overhaul here, so modders can take my ideas and adapt them to their own mods. But it doesn't yet have proper documentation and attributions, so don't anybody post it somewhere for general access.

Actual Attributes Overhaul

The core of this overhaul is a full reorganization of the character sheet, adding a new attribute and lots of new skills, the main purpose of which is to add everyone's mods into the normal rpg progression, instead of being lumped into a few skills. Some key design goals are 1) All mods retain the same core appearance and gameplay of vanilla 7dtd, mods are only chosen to expand upon aspects of gameplay. 2) No alterations to core programming, only mod scripts.

Spoiler

Actual Attributes

This Overhaul is in working condition, but it does still lack polish in a lot of areas, and it uses the Chickens and Bees mods, which have issues, and additional trees, which both has issues and causes a performance hit. Tree abundance has to be reduced to fix that, and a final smooth spawn total has not yet been discovered during playtesting. As a work in progress, this mod also still doesn't have full, proper descriptions and attributions yet. All of which is to say, it is not yet ready for public consumption, but if modders want to mine it for ideas, feel free. All of my work is up for grabs.

What's in Actual Attributes?

spacer.png 

spacer.png

The core of the mod is a reorganization of everyone's mods into the character sheet, placing those skills under post-apocalyptic attributes, including a brand new attribute (for a total of 6 attributes).

- Attributes were increased from 10 ranks to 12, in order to account for certain skills having a lot more ranks.

- A number of skills were given extra ranks, in order to keep certain ranks from being overpowered.

- Two tech levels were added, to better space out the new equipment, T1/2 and T4, aka Scrap Tier and Fiberglass Tier.

- Better Barter was given a lot of new ranks, in order to make it somewhat less OP.

- Added polearms, a very long-range melee-only spear.

- Added shurikens and throwing knives, because my playtesters demanded it (coming soon as an individual download).

- Added a bunch of axes, both logging and battle.

- 2 new arrows.

- A new book series, used to add a little extra when mining nodes.

- Addition of several new resources, such as fiberglass.

- Brewing, using the existing wine barrel as a brewery workstation.

- Lots of drinks that modify stats, made in the brewery.

A number of edits were also made to all of your mods that I added, though mostly this was simply to bring them into balance with the new tech levels. But there were a couple of add-ons:

- More meal recipes for Hydroponics.

- Additional Skill-By-Use tags and skills, also their icons.

If the owners of these mods feel like taking these edits and using them as their own, it's all free to use. Not that they have need of my humble modding skills, but if they don't want to type it out and make icons themselves, it's there.

Everything above are the mods (and edits that include additional items) that were made by me. Those are the parts you are free to use as you like, at least from my part. But note, the weapons do often have paid Unity assets, which should be repurchased by you if you plan to make use of those mods in a public release.

DOWNLOAD (3.7g): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AkxQiaWKHrcdn41PqvLQDYvZ812T6wmz/view?usp=sharing

Hi! I love the Shuriken and Throwing Knives mod. If you set it up so they could use the parts popping off zombies from A20 and target, so you could cut off a hand or a leg or whatever, then it wouldn't matter that it doesn't do a lot of damage (and would just be cool) :)

WEAPON MODS

Throwing Knives and Shurikens

https://7daystodiemods.com/throwing-knives-and-shurikens/

Adds throwing knives and shurikens to the game, falling under the javelin throwing skill. Shurikens have longer range than throwing knives, but do even less damage.

Spoiler

Okay, so, if you stop and give it some thought, it’s easy to realize that small throwing items such as shurikens aren’t going to do much to a zombie. Except maybe make them look like a porcupine, if you throw enough of them.

But with shurikens, you can’t escape the ‘coolness’ factor. And I have playtesters, and they really, REALLY wanted shurikens. (That is, they really wanted them until they got them, and now, meh.)

At any rate, this mod introduces a number of shurikens and throwing knives, all of them falling under the Javelin skill. In relation to other weapons in the game, throwing weapons are the least damaging weapon available, but they are super light on materials to craft, and they retain the ability to gain additional damage from adding strength to the throw – same as javelins. They are also retrievable. Plus they stack up to 10, which can be useful early game. Sometimes.

Unfortunately, we must speak about the animation. There isn’t a light-item throwing animation in the game. There is only the spear animation, and thus that is the animation that had to be used, if you don’t want errors to creep in. And since these weapons also had to stack (because reasons), that meant the animation couldn’t end in a Drop item position. Long story short, throwing weapons uses the left trigger to the throw, not the right. And after the throw animation, the game must complete a thrust spear animation to reset the hand position. So we all just have to think abstractly and pretend that that is all part of returning to the balance stance used for proper throwing.

Plus since spears are long and shurikens aren’t, they’re held out of the viewscreen. But hey, compromises have to be made to be cool.

NEW THROWING WEAPONS

You may have noticed there are more items added than melee Tech Levels, and that is because the Overhaul mod these were made for has an additional Tech Level squeezed in between Stone and Iron.

This mod uses mostly a free Unity Store asset, namely Shuriken pack, but it does use one paid asset, namely HQ PBR Throwing Knife.

JAVELIN

Scrap Shuriken

Refined Scrap Shuriken

Iron Shuriken

Steel Core Shuriken

THROWING KNIVES

Scrap Kunai

Iron Kunai

Fiberglass Throwing Knife

Additional Arrows

Coming soon

Adds scrap arrows made from glass and fiberglass arrows made from, well, fiberglass (or in this case military fiberglass).

Spoiler

I am a fan of archery. As in, IRL.

And thus, entering into 7dtd, I wondered where glass arrowheads were. Now, you might be thinking, “wha???” But glass arrowheads are quite effective. Don’t believe me? Here’s a video:

Thing of it is, people used to use flint and obsidian (nature’s glass) to make arrowheads because they are easy to shape and hold an edge. But they aren’t the strongest stones in the world – kinda the point. In comparison to those old stone arrowheads, glass fits right in in strength and malleability.

And the thing of it is, in a post-apocalyptic survival situation, high-quality glass is really easy to come by, and really easy to make arrowheads from.

While we’re on the subject, where’s lightweight modern arrows. Now both exist.

The scrap arrow sits between the stone arrow and iron arrow in usefulness, and it is more difficult to craft than stone, but way easier than iron, requiring only a campfire. Fiberglass, on the other hand, requires military fiber as an ingredient and is thus very difficult to craft, but is a better arrow than even steel.

NEW ARROWS

Scrap Arrow

Scrap Bolt

Fiberglass Arrow

Fiberglass Bolt

8 hours ago, SirGreyTheRanger said:

I downloaded the Additional Arrows mod you made. I can't craft fiberglass arrowheads but I already read Rangers vol. 4 which the recipe requires. I have all the volumes and can craft stacks of arrows. Is there any way to fix this? (I downloaded this mod after I got all Ranger's Guide to Archery volumes.)

Yes, it can be fixed. This was caused by an unfortunate oversight on my part. The error: when I exported the mod from the Overhaul, I neglected to include a progression file with the unlock line. My bad.

The update will be on the mod website relatively shortly. Or if you can't wait for the website to update and you want to make the edit yourself, you can save a progression.xml file into the mod's Config folder with the following code:

<AAAdditionalArrows>

<append xpath="/progression/perks/perk[@name='perkRangersAPAmmo']/effect_group/passive_effect[@name='RecipeTagUnlocked']/@tags">,resourceArrowHeadFiberglass</append>

</AAAdditionalArrows>

Hey Quick thought: I have not tried this yet, but why not use the grenade/pipbomb etc animation instead. Seems like a more realistic approach. Then they should be held in your hand and when you release the throw it'll atleast over hand throw it. would be WAY better for throwing knives and a little better for the shurikens. What is their sneak damage multipliers as well? i think it would/should be like the bow AKA higher than normal.

5 hours ago, MajorMunchy said:

Hey Quick thought: I have not tried this yet, but why not use the grenade/pipbomb etc animation instead. Seems like a more realistic approach. Then they should be held in your hand and when you release the throw it'll atleast over hand throw it. would be WAY better for throwing knives and a little better for the shurikens. What is their sneak damage multipliers as well? i think it would/should be like the bow AKA higher than normal.

Everything you say is true and makes eminently intuitive sense. But allow me to introduce you to the unintuitive world of modding.

Short answer: All of 7dtd's animations are heavily restricted as to what you can do with them, and I was unable to break past those restrictions. Heavy stress on the 'i'.

Long answer: Let me take you on my journey. But first to follow along, it is necessary to know that in 7dtd, each character animation is hard coded to a hand position, and in turn those hand position/animation combos are connected to a particular set of behaviors. So, I started by trying to use the knife animation. Everything works fine up through the throw, but then your hands dop into an out-of-bounds position. You can still continue to throw, but it now looks funny, and if you, say, switch to a bow, your hands will remain in that funny position and you will not be able to draw. Then in order to have free use of your hands again, you have to reset your grip.

So, tossing the knife animation aside, next I tried the rock throwing animation, and the thing about tossables like rocks and grenades is they are not supposed to have hard collision and they are not supposed to be sticky (allowing you to pick them back up). If you give them those traits, bad things happen, sooner or later, usually sooner. A better modder than me might be able to script around this behavior, but the only thing I could do if I was to make it work is to start over with a dedicated knife animation, and that's the kind of thing I wanted to avoid with my Overhaul.

And I continued to beat my head against the wall in the same vein, until finally giving up and going back to the spear animation. But even that had issues, because I started out by trying to use the right button, and that's fine if you don't stack the items. But if you do stack, the animation ends in a drop position, which is again out-of-bounds.

And thus we come to what I did do using the left mouse button on the spear animation, cludgy workaround though it might be. Still, if a better modder wants to take over and make it work, the Unity asset I used is free up to but not including the modern knife.

5 hours ago, SirGreyTheRanger said:

Thanks for the response! I am also a big fan of archery and love the idea of glass. Also is it possible to add the ability to craft fiberglass and scrap arrows in stacks? Of course, this requires all 7 volumes of Ranger's Guide to Archery.

Always glad to find another archery fan!

That's a can do. Expect that change to be uploaded to the website once again soonish. 

6 hours ago, MajorMunchy said:

What is their sneak damage multipliers as well? i think it would/should be like the bow AKA higher than normal.

Currently, throwing weapons follow the same formula as spears, so they do up to 2.85x extra damage based on the strength of your throw, plus sneak. Low base damage they might be, but if you sneak attack the head at full strength, even if you don't get a sever, the damage really stacks.

But as usual, when the rubber meets the road and people are choosing weapons to take into combat, lower but reliable damage tends to heavily outweigh higher but tricky stack damage. 

I am eager to see what you do with archery in your overhaul. ☺️

Are you just adding new types of bows and arrows/bolts, or do you hope to eventually revise how 7Days handles archery to some degree? Within the scope of Unity's capabilities and limitations, that is.

15 minutes ago, mprojekt said:

I am eager to see what you do with archery in your overhaul. ☺️

Are you just adding new types of bows and arrows/bolts, or do you hope to eventually revise how 7Days handles archery to some degree? Within the scope of Unity's capabilities and limitations, that is.

For the immediate future, I'm working on game balance for the big overhaul, and working on improving performance when there's additional trees. But when those pieces are done, I already have a chosen crossbow and two bows in the editor -- which I haven't yet done anything with.

Setting that practical to-do list aside, my dream document does include attempting to use of some of the Unity commands already in 7dtd to give archery a more natural feel.  The biggest question on that is, will those commands still work the same in the 7dtd engine? Including not bogging the game engine down, which already runs pretty high on resources? But to do the practical first, and then I'll poke around and see if anything from my dream document can be made reality.

• 1 month later...

This modlet hasn't been fully vetted yet, but for those who want an early sneak peek, as promised the forthcoming bows and a crossbow.

Are the bows new models?

Yes. Paid too.

Are they animated?

Yes.

Fully animated?

No.

Why not?

Because I'm too lazy for that. But they have their pull and loose animations.

WEAPON MODS

Additional Bows

Adds two early bows, a composite and a shortbow to T0, and two late bows, a recurve crossbow and a lever bow to T3.

Spoiler

Additional Archery - includes Additional Bows and Additional Arrows. You don't have to use them both, they're just related.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QHQHS7OFPzq5uOVbGhoYii0NhNKta0kn/view?usp=share_link

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

Edited by Chambers (see edit history)

Do note for those making use of the sneak peek of the Additional Bows mod, the bows are currently pulled straight out of the Overhaul mod as is, with no attempt yet made to rebalance them for the vanilla game. The only major issue I see is the Reverse is T2 and the Lever is T3 in the overhaul, so those two aren't exactly paired as they should be. Not exactly game breaking, but there you are. 

Which brings up a larger point. If you have any interest in how the Overhaul effects use of archery, it's early days yet, but here are the first results.

T0: Primitive tools are craft only. Archery is Composite Bow (AA) and Shortbow (AA). Available guns are a six-shooter, the double-barrel, and the hunting rifle. And that is all. 

-Archery sees much more use than guns.

T1/2: Wood Bow (vanilla) and Wood Crossbow (vanilla). Available guns are lever action rifles (including *cough* a .45 70), a revolver, and the 686.

-Archery use drops a little, but way less than before.

T1: Takedown Bow (mod) and Compound Crossbow (vanilla). This is where automatics are first introduced. And T1 is where the first major change occurs, because the Compound Crossbow is seen by playtesters as way more competitive at this stage than it is at T2.

T2: Compound Bow (vanilla) and Reverse Crossbow (AA). Archery use starts to drop here, as you might expect. But usually by this point it is nonexistent to anyone not specifically going archery.

T3: Magbow (mod) and Lever Bow (AA). Archery perks right back up with the magbow. I purchased and did up my own version of the magbow, and it only does 6 shots, but that seems to be plenty to keep people interested, particularly since I made it quieter.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, TheOne2246 said:

Heyya, I got a question about your Demolisher Zombies mod. Do you by chance know if it would work with the Darkness Falls mod? It adds a couple of boosted zombie modifiers and don't know if that mod would work with yours.

Unfortunately, I don't know. But I suspect what would happen is (assuming my mod was later in your mod install list) my Demolisher mod would replace the DF version of the Demolisher. So, since what my mod does is replace the existing Demolisher stat block with a new set of stats, my guess is the DF Demolisher would replace the vanilla Demolisher, and then my Demolisher would replace the DF Demolisher.

That said, my mod is really simple, so you could easily make the same change to the DF Demolisher. So if you are willing to edit the DF entityclasses file in Notebook++, you just do the following.

- in the Darkness Falls Config folder (whichever folder edits the zombies), the file 'entityclasses'

- Search for zombieDemolition

- cut the following lines, all located in the attack section about halfway down

<property name="Explosion.ParticleIndex" value="2"/>
    <property name="Explosion.RadiusBlocks" value="5"/>
    <property name="Explosion.RadiusEntities" value="6"/>
    <property name="Explosion.BlockDamage" value="5000"/>
    <property name="Explosion.EntityDamage" value="800"/>
    <property name="Explosion.DamageBonus.earth" value=".1"/>

<property name="ExplodeDelay" value="2"/>
    <property name="ExplodeHealthThreshold" value="0"/> <!-- Disable Health explosion -->

<property name="SoundExplodeWarn" value="demolitionzexplodewarning"/>
    <property name="SoundTick" value="demolitionz_beep,.5,.9"/>

- and Save, and that's it. Though I also doubled the hp and boosted the Hand damage, to compensate for the lost explosion. But since you mentioned DF already boosts the Zombies, that's probably already taken care of.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:32 AM, Chambers said:

Unfortunately, I don't know. But I suspect what would happen is (assuming my mod was later in your mod install list) my Demolisher mod would replace the DF version of the Demolisher. So, since what my mod does is replace the existing Demolisher stat block with a new set of stats, my guess is the DF Demolisher would replace the vanilla Demolisher, and then my Demolisher would replace the DF Demolisher.

That said, my mod is really simple, so you could easily make the same change to the DF Demolisher. So if you are willing to edit the DF entityclasses file in Notebook++, you just do the following.

Khaine uses the same name as the vanilla zombie so the weaker version would be changed by your mod (as you stated, assuming your mod is loaded in last).

@TheOne2246

If I were you, I would copy and paste another set of code for the demolition zombie, but change it to zombieDemolitionMutated from zombieDemolition, that would also change the upgraded version that Khaine introduced for Darkness falls.  I would also recommend just modifying Chamber's modlet to work with the DF mod, rather than changing out the code in DF.  That way, this modlet should always work if you download new versions of DF (unless Khaine or the TFP change something along the way).  Even then, the 7D2D modding community is pretty helpful and can talk you through what changes you need to make.

Another route you can do is to make up a simple modlet and insert the code below that will take care of both (which is what I would do if I wanted to change the demos in my game):

<remove xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[contains(@name,'Demolition')]/property[contains(@name,'Explosion')]"/>

<remove xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[contains(@name,'Demolition')]/property[contains(@name,'Explode')]"/>

<remove xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[contains(@name,'Demolition')]/property[contains(@name,'SoundTick')]"/>

If I didn't mess up the syntax, those 3 lines should remove all 13 lines in any Demolition entity in DF (the 10 that Chambers showed in his example plus the extra 3 dealing with bonus damage modifier for wood, stone, and metal).

• 2 weeks later...