Random d3d11 crashes [0x887A0005]

Garym

Hello,

I'm having random but inevitable crashes while playing 7DTYD whether in solo or with on a friend's self-hosted server.

These crashes occur within 20 seconds of playing up to something like one hour approximatively.

They can occur anytime while moving, while being idle or while looting something.

Currently, I'm playing in a solo self-generated world in which I only have 30 minutes of game time but I already had 6 or 7 crashes...

According to the logs, anytime I crash there is a d3d11 error at the end of the logs.

Sometimes it's one or several "d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=128 h=2 d3dfmt=10 [887a0005]" which are sometimes followed by some "d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x5 mode 1 size 13248) [0x887A0005]" with some values changing.

Below are 3 log files each ending in a subtle but different way:

- Ends with a single d3d11 staging 2D texture error: https://pastebin.com/nTmGhsUy

- Ends with two consecutive d3d11 staging 2D texture errors: https://pastebin.com/9c7dHC7E

- Ends with multiple d3d11 staging 2D texture errors and d3d11 creation buffer errors: https://pastebin.com/0vfzf3hH

These logs originate from my aforementioned solo game.

What I have tried:

- Files already validated through Stream.

- Then started this solo game in order to know if the error originated from the multiplayer world of my friend's server.

- After this, I reinstalled Windows 11 which I already planned to do even without this problem, so that was the opportunity to do so. However, the problem still persists.

- Disabling Windows hardware accelerated gpu scheduling has no noticable effect.

My build :

- Windows 11

- RTX 3080 (with last drivers from August 9th)

- i5-12600KF

- 16GB RAM DDR4

- Corsair RM750i power supply

- Game is running on a SSD

Things to know:

- This is the only Unity game, as far as I know, that is crashing like that on my computer.

- My GPU is currently undervolted but multiple 3D Mark stress tests (20 min runs) and benchmarks have successfully passed with no error or crash.

- I think there's no stacktrace in the logs because I force quit the game each time as the screen freezes for a long time (some sounds are still playing). I'll try to let it freeze for longer in order to see if the game quits by itself while writing the stacktrace in the logs.

- A bit weird but I run RainMeter on my computer, and I noticed that RainMeter simply crashes when 7DTD crashes like that.

- I don't use mods in 7DTD (yet :p).

• Garym changed the title to Random d3d11 crashes [0x887A0005]

Ok, a few things.

First is that Unity doesn't play well with some modifications. Under/Over-volting is one of these. Doesn't matter if you can run Futuremark and Prime95 at the same time without an issue, Unity will have a problem. Errors like this are often what you see. I have personally run into this playing with settings on my 6800 XT. 

Second, you never once mentioned installing GPU drivers. After any Windows install/Update/Upgrade you absolutely must perform a clean installation. Those errors are a common effect when you are running on the "Microsoft Certified" drivers that get installed with these updates. You should absolutely perform a clean installation of GPU drivers downloaded from Nvidia. Can opt out of the GeForce bloatware while you're at it as well.

Third is that PSU. No offense to your purchase, but Corsair has had the highest rate of failure of any of the PSU's I have worked with over the past five years. I literally just replaced one of those a few months ago because it had failed for the third time and nearly baked my motherboard in the process. (It did roast one of the hard drives in my RAID configuration.) It could simply be that it is breaking under the strain.

This title in an unoptimized game in Alpha development. Even without that, it is more demanding on your core components than nearly any other program is. The Corsair before the last one was in a similar state. It would work just fine for benchmarking, overclocking, and could run just about anything. Run 7 Days and the system would crash.  After intensive testing with benchmark and burn-in software not resulting in failure, but 7 Days crashing the system contently, I finally pulled it out and ran some tests on it with a meter. The 12v rail to the motherboard was failing under load.

This is actually a pretty common theme around here. 

Thank you for your reply.

First is that Unity doesn't play well with some modifications. Under/Over-volting is one of these. Doesn't matter if you can run Futuremark and Prime95 at the same time without an issue, Unity will have a problem. Errors like this are often what you see. I have personally run into this playing with settings on my 6800 XT. 

I know overcloking can easily cause issues with 7DTD but I did not find any info about undervolting instabilities (except for bad undervolting) with 7DTD. So I'll try with stock settings then.

Second, you never once mentioned installing GPU drivers. After any Windows install/Update/Upgrade you absolutely must perform a clean installation. Those errors are a common effect when you are running on the "Microsoft Certified" drivers that get installed with these updates. You should absolutely perform a clean installation of GPU drivers downloaded from Nvidia. Can opt out of the GeForce bloatware while you're at it as well.

I did mention that I have installed the last drivers, but yes I forgot to specify that they are from the official Nvidia website. I installed them right after reinstalling Windows.

Third is that PSU. No offense to your purchase, but Corsair has had the highest rate of failure of any of the PSU's I have worked with over the past five years. I literally just replaced one of those a few months ago because it had failed for the third time and nearly baked my motherboard in the process. (It did roast one of the hard drives in my RAID configuration.) It could simply be that it is breaking under the strain.

I've always had a Corsair PSU in my builds with absolutely no issue, that I know, that were caused by them.

Furthermore, I followed this tier list, among other searches on the internet at that time, in order to know what were/are the recommended PSU for a buid like mine.

So I don't think that's the PSU although that's a possibility yeah.

10 hours ago, Garym said:

d3d11: failed to create buffer (target

As a test of the driver, you could try using GLCore instead of DirectX. This option is available from the game's Launcher.

4 hours ago, Garym said:

I don't think that's the PSU although that's a possibility yeah.

Just as a test for the PSU, try capping your fps so something ridiculously low, like 48 fps (still playable). This option is available in the Nvidia control panel. Maybe turn off reflections and shadows for the test as well. This will reduce power used by both the GPU and CPU and if it runs ok, then you know it's a power problem.

Also, that PSU is supposedly one of Corsair's best with a 10 year warranty. So if it is a problem, you're covered.

16 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

As a test of the driver, you could try using GLCore instead of DirectX. This option is available from the game's Launcher.

Just as a test for the PSU, try capping your fps so something ridiculously low, like 48 fps (still playable). This option is available in the Nvidia control panel. Maybe turn off reflections and shadows for the test as well. This will reduce power used by both the GPU and CPU and if it runs ok, then you know it's a power problem.

Also, that PSU is supposedly one of Corsair's best with a 10 year warranty. So if it is a problem, you're covered.

Well, reverting to stock settings seem to have solved the crashes :)

Still a bit weird because 7DTD is the only game doing that even though 7DTD has been in development for a long time.

Anyway, thank you all for helping :)

Archived