zeds quit spawning randomly (question)

GoldenFox

hi, i've got an issue, on a dedicated server, start a new map, day 1 you can find zombies walking on the streets or in the forests etc.  after awhile like day 70, no zombies wandering around, i see them only on poi's or red moon. 

is there a reason as to why they quit spawning around randomly and only to appear on pois or red moon? have anyone experienced something similar?

thanks.

Couple "real" reasons:

- areas have a cooldown for spawns, if you kill everything around your base, they will take some time to respawn.. I think a couple days (3?) by default in a forest biome.

- your server may be hitting max numbers of zeds alive; and not have any space to spawn you some.

Might just be bugged of course.

something odd is going on, just for testing, went down to a big city, only in a street, saw 4 zombies walking around, but the rest of the city or near my base is a desert town lol, max zombies is set to 150 for the whole map, its a 10k map, should i increase that number?

I have zero experience of running a server, so, for what it's worth, I'm throwing some ideas.

I think there's a console command listentities (le?), that might show if you're at that 150 somehow. It sounds like a lot on paper, but hugging a suitable wall may spawn a dozen sleepers in a city.. no idea how fast they're unloaded on a server either.

killall and waiting a bit seems to be spawning city spawns quite quickly in my test world; but I do also mess with the time there quite often, and I don't really suggest that for an actual game server. Tap numpad zero in dm for the AI-data, it shows through the world so you can see everything that is spawned in your proximity.

Are you alone on the server? If there is other people online there is propably already 150 zombies spawned somewhere else. You could increase the max zombie spawn, but that will propably hurt the server performance. 

If you are alone when this happens, there is some other propblem.

We never had that issue on our server, and there is just very few POI´s where you could be close enough to a wall so that 150 sleepers spawn (yeah looking at you here, stallionsden :P) and those are all in compopack, impossible in vanilla tbh.

The console command for listing all the zombies on the map is "listents"

will try your suggestions, thanks a lot!

1 minute ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Are you alone on the server? If there is other people online there is propably already 150 zombies spawned somewhere else. You could increase the max zombie spawn, but that will propably hurt the server performance. 

If you are alone when this happens, there is some other propblem.

We never had that issue on our server, and there is just very few POI´s where you could be close enough to a wall so that 150 sleepers spawn (yeah looking at you here, stallionsden :P) and those are all in compopack, impossible in vanilla tbh.

The console command for listing all the zombies on the map is "listents"

yup atm im alone, so i can test stuff, i saw a "few" zeds walking around, but nowhere near the amount i saw when the map was "new" where they randomly walked toward my base, now most of the time there are no zeds in streets as i said before saw 4 in a block, then in the next 2 spawned, but that amount for a city is non existent lol

Be sure that you have feral sense enabled. Also, there is an xml tweak to quickly double wandering zombies without increasing your count of 150. I'll go take a look and edit this post once I figure out how I did it. It was mentioned in a post by Madmole quite a long time ago.

EDIT: In the spawning.xml, the very first sections are about spawning zombies in the different biomes during the day and night. Just change the max count of zombies. Be careful, start by increasing by 1 at a time or you will be overwhelmed by zombies.

Edited by Star69 (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Star69 said:

Be sure that you have feral sense enabled. Also, there is an xml tweak to quickly double wandering zombies without increasing your count of 150. I'll go take a look and edit this post once I figure out how I did it. It was mentioned in a post by Madmole quite a long time ago.

EDIT: In the spawning.xml, the very first sections are about spawning zombies in the different biomes during the day and night. Just change the max count of zombies. Be careful, start by increasing by 1 at a time or you will be overwhelmed by zombies.

awesome! thanks for the info, ill change that to see if i can have more undead population in town lol