PvE in 7D2D and general gaming.

Rotor

So not sure if the topic conveys the general thought.

Anyways, been gaming for a loooong time.  Not as many as others, but long enough.  My very first MMORPG was SWG and then I retro into AO and DAofC.  Before that I was pretty heavy into CFS style games, one specific one called Airwarrior by Kesmai.  Yes it is old, Circa 1995.

Now, I just read the Beginner's "how to" on another post that goes against, what to this point, still appears to be true to me with only a couple of hundred hours into the game.  That is, I always play PvE where DPS is the ultimate ruler.  It has served me well through out the years.  I dont heavily specialize, as I like my characters to be jack of all trades master of none.  However, I do beeline a weapon type to start because if you cant kill it then you are dead :).

I play permadeath, no trader quests, so I progress slow.  The problem with this strat is one mistake and BAM! D1 (chronicled elswhere :)).  However it forcess me to employ SA, like the CFS world, you head best be on a swivel Mav.

I have no problem taking on wolves, bears, dogs, hoags, as long as I have the intiative.  Just like in a CFS he who controls the merge likely wins.  I have more meat in my inventory than I can cook in a day.  leather out the yingyang, but leather is highly restricted by the RNGeezusOfTheThreadKit.  I dont even bother farming.  I still dont have a cooking pot but I have learned I can manage my water need from loot or vending machines.  I havent started looting houses yet, but it will come.  Patience is key when it comes to some of these items.  However, what I really like is knowing when I draw that bow from a perch almost everything is going down in 1 shot, bigger Zs two, wolves 3 to 4, bears about 15.  By biggest nenemisis is them damn pigs because somehow they are off my radar scope programing software :).

I guess there is no right or wrong way, but it is odd to me that after all these years DPS is still my go to in PvE.

Clarification:  Fat Momma and Fat Cop is more than 2.  But they go down.  

I'm fairly sure you can boil water without a cooking pot, so you can still manage water without issue just so long as you have 5 rocks to put in a circle :)

When I play single player I too like to play 'permadeath', I delete the save when I die. In multiplayer I can get lagged out or I can DC or I can join a server shortly after it reboots and get jumped before I can react. In single player there's no lag, if I don't plan and don't build a bunker or base that can withstand a horde night it's on me, not on a poorly timed reconnection or anything. If I log in and there's a bear in front of me, it's because there was a bear when I logged out. So I'm more OK with permadeath on single player than multi.

DPS is secondary to me for PvE, primary is control. When I'm fighting against a single zombie DPS is fine but when there's more than 1, I need to be able to control the situation. Funnel the enemies through a doorway to eliminate being mobbed from all sides, or knock an enemy down while I focus on his buddy. Things like that. For me, clubs are the most effective weapon in this regard. The knives lack a stuck or knockdown, the sledge hits too slow, fist range is too short, spear is nice but the throw is unwieldy compared to other power attacks and the normal attacks are very low damage, so to me club is king. For melee at least. In a bigger pack, when dealing with stronger zombies like irradiated and ferals I turn to bullets.

Never played AC.  DAoC, unless something changed, the maps would be too claustrophobic for me now :).  The one that I would go back to if felt an inkling for fantasy medieval type would be LoTRO.  I left when MAX was 75, man I loved that Captain character I had.

On 6/21/2022 at 9:39 PM, Maharin said:

Ever try to go back and play DAoC after all these years?  It was very painful for me.  Too painful.  I found it easier to go back and play Asheron's Call.

I started DAoC in 2003, played til 2009 or so, and then have played off and on since about 2015.  I play as a solo RvR rr11 friar or rr11 sorc so the low server population isn't too bad, means I can actually find solo's/duo's/trio's more often than getting ganked by groups.  Let my account lapse a few months ago and haven't really looked back, though I'm sure the itch will kick back in soon to reactivate.

What did you find so painful about it, just the low server pop?

2 hours ago, spj0078 said:

What did you find so painful about it, just the low server pop?

Mostly the interface.  In the old days I played mostly Hibernia (druid, warden, and mentalist) and Albion (paladin, reaver, and necromancer).  I played a LOT of alts in that game.