Unknown Server version

Lord Morphleyes

I have a dedicated server.  I updated the server through steam.  Had to rebuild my server config since I didn't have a stashed copy. I am using pregen8k map.  And have used my old save game folder name so we can continue from where we left off.  

When the server spins up it gives me a line in yellow saying that the b3 pregen8k map is being used. 

When I located and click on the server to join it, it says at the bottom that it is an unknown update version. 

When I try and join it, it won't connect. 

Unable to retrieve server info, I think.  

Here are the logs. (I think)

I guess I need to update the pregen8k map?  Will that reset our forts and houses?

Open up the log file on the server. Near the beginning of that file, as the server is booting up, it will state which version of 7 Days the server is running. Boot up the game on your computer, in the upper righthand corner is the current version of the game on your pc. The versions need to match exactly.

They are both Alpha 20.4 (b42) 

Perhaps the issue is when the Pregen8k map is loaded? 

It says 

... Loaded world file from different version: ...

Edit:

Even thought the dedi log says version A20.4 (b42) when you locate the server and click on it, on the bottom right where it shows the server version, it says 'unknown '

12 hours ago, Star69 said:

I would run the update process again. Possibly the update wasn't complete or a file got corrupted??? Just an idea.

Thanks. That fixed the older Pregen8k showing up.

But, the join server page still says version unknown and, I noticed that the IP address is the public one, where it would show the internal one since it in on the same network. 

Still got the Unable to retrieve server info 

I'm having the same issue with my dedicated server.   I'm unable to connect even though I can see it on the list, by clicking and direct connect via ip.  I even loaded a brand new RWG map and im getting the same issue.   I double checked my ports and theyre still open.   The serverconfig.xml has the new region commands they added and I did nothing to change them.   I noticed on the browser, when I click my server, in the info on the right, it says version unknown.  This makes no sense since both are updated and opted out of the beta that I was in before this update.   

I'm going to try to delete everything and reinstall and see if it works, and if so then ill put my world file back and see how that goes.

EDIT:  Also I want to add I have no mods installed, only some tweaks to the spawning, items, and entity classes XML files.   I know these tweaks arent an issue because theyre simple changes to variables and have worked before.   Either way, I'm going to do the completely clean install and try it with a new world before I copy any of my files over to verify that the issue is probably with the update and not my tweaks.    The server is running... I just cant connect, so I'm confident thats not the problem.

The problem is probably in the serverconfig file. I had BIG issues with it yesterday.

First I tried to paste the new lines containing region and language settings since everything else is the same as the old .xml. I managed to connect to the server (I run a dedicated DELL poweredge420 server machine) through the local connection, but my friends got the "Unable to retrieve server info" The telnet remote server console did not register their connection attempts.

My second try was to edit the new serverconfig.xml with the settings from the old one. And it works now. Game version is showing and everyone can connect.

Probably you missed some setting in the networking area.

I'm using the straight up vanilla fresh install serverconfig.xml and started a vanilla server and I'm still having the same issue.  Ive tried a few different ports; 26900, 26901, 26910... still the same issue in the console when trying to connect.   

Looking in windows CMD NETSTAT, I see 8080 and 26900 with the state of LISTENING.   I dont know if the correct state should be "LISTENING" or "ESTABLISHED" but I'm assuming LISTENING confirms that the port is open.  I don't know anything about this stuff so learning as I go I guess.

I truly have no idea but im about to give up and just wait a few days.

I noticed in the dedicated server output log, there is the following...

"2022-04-27T16:32:48 1.351 INF WorldStaticData.Init() needed 0.000s
2022-04-27T16:32:48 1.358 INF Started Telnet on 8081
2022-04-27T16:32:48 1.369 INF Awake done in 823 ms
ERROR: Shader Unlit/Text shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
2022-04-27T16:32:48 1.649 INF Reloading serveradmin.xml
2022-04-27T16:32:48 1.649 INF Loading permissions file at 'C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming/7DaysToDie/Saves/serveradmin.xml'
2022-04-27T16:32:48 1.650 INF Loading permissions file done.
2022-04-27T16:32:49 1.924 WRN [EOS] [LogEOSAnalytics - Warning] EOS SDK Analytics disabled for route [1].
2022-04-27T16:32:49 2.759 INF [GSM] GameSparks Connected
2022-04-27T16:32:51 3.911 INF [GSM] Skipping me
2022-04-27T16:32:51 4.068 INF NET: Starting server protocols
2022-04-27T16:32:51 4.074 INF [NET] Disabling protocol: SteamNetworking
2022-04-27T16:32:51 4.108 INF NET: LiteNetLib server started
2022-04-27T16:32:51 4.110 INF StartGame
2022-04-27T16:32:51 4.111 INF NetPackageManager Init
2022-04-27T16:32:51 4.336 INF Persistent GamePrefs saved"

Is the bold line something to be worried about, or that normal in this file?  Should that be enabled?  If so, how is that done?

I went through an old log to make sure my new serverconfig had the old settings.  I did have a couple of things different.  Started it up. Found the server, still said version unknown. Still unable to retreated server info.

This i have been doing from my computer which is the same one running the server.  So then I tried to get on with my sons computer. It showed the server version as 20.4 b42 and his computer was able to get on with no problem.

With him on I could see a 1 in the server list for friends on my computer. When I clicked on it the server was there but this time the version was now present and correct.  Tried to join it. Still got the unable to retrieve server...

I am convinced now that it is not user error and a bug based in playing the game from the same computer ru ning the server.

Extra info: even my sons computer did not show that the server was on the same LAN.

I guess I will file an official bug report now

Interesting, I'm actually curious what the specific problem is and what the fix will be, and I hope it comes soon because this is all I want to play right now lol.

Thanks for filing the bug report.   Take care fellow 7 days to die self running dedicated server homie.

2 hours ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

I am convinced now that it is not user error and a bug based in playing the game from the same computer ru ning the server.

I just tested this hypothesis and was unable to reproduce it. I started a server and connected to the server from the same computer.

Here are the logs.

Client Log

Server Log

If you post your logs maybe we can find the issue.

3 hours ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

Here are the logs 

Thanks! It looks like it tries to connect via LiteNetLib and fails, then tries using

SteamNetworking which also fails.

On your server, you have Steamnetworking disabled, so, just as a test, try enabling that

and see if it works. That would be the line:

<property name="ServerDisabledNetworkProtocols"    value="SteamNetworking"/>

change it to:

<property name="ServerDisabledNetworkProtocols"    value=""/>

in your serverconfig.xml.

Also, try using the computers internal ip instead of the loopback ip or the outside ip.

This string of errors: [NM] DataReceived: bad! hints at a LiteNetLib version mismatch.

There's still a reference to A19.5 in your logs so maybe things have not been completely

cleaned up. The Launcher/Tools/Clean game data.. menu is very good for cleaning up

old data. A19 and A20 don't play nice with each other so al A19 data should be deleted

to play A20.

@Beelzybub thank you.  I manually input the internal IP  (Connect by IP)  and it worked.  

13 hours ago, CLYDEFROG68 said:

Interesting, I'm actually curious what the specific problem is and what the fix will be, and I hope it comes soon because this is all I want to play right now lol.

Thanks for filing the bug report.   Take care fellow 7 days to die self running dedicated server homie.

You too.  I hope the Connect IP works for you as well.  

Archived