Jump to content

7 days server not starting up 26900 port


Recommended Posts

This might be a bit of a big one, I'll try to get markdown functioning so outputs are easier to read. Here we go.

I've run a 7 days to die server for my friends and I for a while now off a 2016 macbook pro that I threw 20.04 server onto. Recently, we started noticing some lag so I figured I'd get my secondary desktop up and running as a dedicated server for this use. I followed the same steps, threw on ubuntu 20.04 server lTS, ran through the 7 days install (One of the steps is backwards, you have to force_install_dir before you log into steam) and ran the ufw rules. Now, I can't access the server even on my local network. When I run the server from my laptop, I get a nice netstat output of:

root@macbook-server:/home/miles# netstat -tnlp | grep LISTEN
tcp        0      0*               LISTEN      1545/./7DaysToDieSe
tcp        0      0 *               LISTEN      1545/./7DaysToDieSe
tcp        0      0 *               LISTEN      827/systemd-resolve
tcp        0      0    *               LISTEN      1068/sshd: /usr/sbi
tcp        0      0 *               LISTEN      961/cupsd
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      1068/sshd: /usr/sbi
tcp6       0      0 ::1:631                 :::*                    LISTEN      961/cupsd


which is what I expect, we're listening on 26900 and 8081 (the actual port for the game and a telnet port for graceful shutdown). Problem is, when I do the same on the new server I don't get the 26900 listen. Just the 8081:


root@serverboi:/home/server/7days/7DaysToDieServer_Data# netstat -tnlp | grep LISTEN
tcp        0      0*               LISTEN      1799/./7DaysToDieSe
tcp        0      0 *               LISTEN      660/systemd-resolve
tcp        0      0    *               LISTEN      788/sshd: /usr/sbin
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      788/sshd: /usr/sbin


There is still some small chance that this is the server not starting up correctly but I've diff'd successful startup logs with ones from the new server and they seem to be booting up fine, no extra errors. My ufw rules on both computers are:


Status: active

To                         Action      From
--                         ------      ----
26900:26905/tcp            ALLOW       Anywhere
26900:26905/udp            ALLOW       Anywhere
22/tcp                     ALLOW       Anywhere
26900:26905/tcp (v6)       ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)
26900:26905/udp (v6)       ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)
22/tcp (v6)                ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)


I ran some tests with opening netcat ports and talking over 26900 and it worked fine. My guess here is that somehow the server isn't actually starting up the listen port for some reason. Both servers are using the same exact config file. Both servers are starting the server from a local user (not root). They are both running ubuntu 20.04 LTS (although the macbook was updated from 16.04 to 20.04 when I went to run 7 days servers on it). Any help is much appreciated and I'd be glad to post anything else anyone needs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did notice something a bit off with that guide. It's having you open way more ports than you need to.


sudo ufw allow 26900:26905/tcp
sudo ufw allow 26900:26905/udp


Should actually be

sudo ufw allow 26900/tcp
sudo ufw allow 26900:26903/udp


I find some other information in that guide to be a bit overly simplistic, and probably isn't good to follow long-term.  I would strongly recommend using something like LGSM, or Allocs Scripts instead. Especially if it's going to be something more than a server you just turn on occasionally for a couple of buddies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you! I'll edit down the open ports. 


The problem has somehow fixed itself? I removed and reinstalled 7 days (following the same order of operations) and now it happily starts up it's port. I'm trying to figure out what was actually wrong so that I could post a more helpful answer here in case someone else has this happen but honestly I have no idea.


To answer what was here: Yes server was for sure running. You could even see it open the telnet port but not the main port.


Server got up and running last night, we ran a deshong tower in it to put it through its paces and my god upgrading from a macbook pro to this was a game changer.


Edit for more clarification on how I fixed for anyone who'd need:

rm -rf ~/7days
rm -rf ~/.local/share/7DaysToDie


Then ran through the install via steam client again. Manually edited config files rather than copy pasting ones I already had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mmh, could this also be a result of the two new lines added to the serverconfig.xml in alpha20.4. You never told us the versions of the game you had installed.


Anyway if you want to search for causes you definitely should look into the logfiles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...