Trouble hosting dedicated server

millititus

I recently had to format my server box, and I saved all the world files and configuration files.  I had a successful server running about three weeks ago when my server died.  I was able to get it back up and running after formatting, and I reinstalled 7dtd dedicated using steamcmd like I had set it up before.  I thought I had everything set up properly, but now players cannot see my server in the game list, nor connect to it by IP.  I can join the server using the local address, but anyone outside of my network cannot.  The really strange thing is when I connect to the server, others can too.  They can even see it in the server list.

I don't know what is wrong, when they try to connect by IP address, the connection times out.  Any suggestions?

I can post my configuration if that helps.

4 hours ago, millititus said:

This is my latest log, again I am able to log in locally, but others cannot join.  They could when I had steamnetworking enabled

Your symptoms point to a port or security problem. The ports you need natted to your server IP are TCP 26900, & UDP 26900 through 26903.

Need to be in both your router and Windows firewall. Also, AV can cause this so it's recomended to add an exclusion in Defender for the

game and save folders.

Also, since you're password protected, you could disable EAC.

How can I check to see if I have that?  Also the real strange part is that its a recent issue.  I have had a server up and running up through mid-February.  It only recently stopped working when I formatted my server.  But I figured factory resetting the router would remove any previous routing issues.  There are only 7days port forwarding rules in there now.

I just found an article about CGNAT and I am checking now.

As far as I can tell, I do not have CG-NAT.  I checked my external IP address at whatsmyip.org is the same address as my router reports. 

I also verified using an online port checking tool that 26900 is open when I have the server running.  Interestingly, 26901, 26902, and 26903 are reporting that they are closed, even though I have the rule set up in my routing table.  Is this an issue?

23 hours ago, millititus said:

I also verified using an online port checking tool that 26900 is open when I have the server running.  Interestingly, 26901, 26902, and 26903 are reporting that they are closed, even though I have the rule set up in my routing table.  Is this an issue?

It may be what’s causing your issue. I have heard multiple times of this happening with various routers. My suggestion is to check forums for your brand of router or even the forums of dslreports.com. Maybe tell us make/model of the router in case someone here has experience with it.

A quick google search showed a whole bunch of folks have problems with Google Mesh and port forwarding.

1) Some say disable ipv6, forward your ports then enable ipv6 when done.

2) Another says to give your server a reservation on the dhcp table then forward ports. This recommendation actually came from Google Support so I'd try this. For some reason with Google the forwarded ports are based on device rather than IP address like many others do.

3) Update your firmware, restart the router after each port has been forwarded

4) set router to bridge mode

5) Make sure that you aren't double-natted, that your modem has a built in router on top of your Google Mesh router

Edited by Star69 (see edit history)