Is it possible to port to Nintendo Switch?

Neoj5680

I know a lot of people would say this may be far fetched, but still curious if it would be possible to port this to Nintendo Switch?  They have ported Skyrim and The Witcher so I would assume possibly this could be as well. The portability factor is what I’m looking at here where you could take the game on the road.  It would be fun to actually have the game available anytime and play it whenever you want. 

It is very far fetched. The Switch has almost Zero CPU and RAM capability, which is what this game requires. Those other titles only care about GPU specs.

I've covered the more finite details on this before, but the answer is still no.  At best it might work on that Valve portable device, but only because it's streaming from another system.

Update: I have previously posted the hardware requirements here.

If we compare the Switch in that table, it falls quite short.

It's using Nvidia's Tegra X1 processor, and has different clock speed profiles depending on whether it's docked or not. Since you want portable, we'll focus on the bottom-end.

The CPU clock of barely over 1GHz is already less than half of what the game requires as a minimum. Even fully docked the Switch doesn't come close to min specs. RAM isn't the same as what you see in the big consoles either. It's just the same kind of flash you see in an SD Card or USB stick, so it's much slower. Topping out at 1331MHz this RAM is only capable of 25.6 GB/s which is ten times slower than what the recommended minimum PC spec reaches.
The GPU is honestly the only good part of the setup, which is on par with the base model PS4 and XB1. 

Which is why the Switch if fine at playing things like Skyrim and The Witcher when they've had the graphics adjusted down a good bit to accommodate the weak system. Those games don't rely heavily on the CPU and RAM. They only care about the GPU. 

On 2/13/2022 at 3:10 PM, Neoj5680 said:

I know a lot of people would say this may be far fetched, but still curious if it would be possible to port this to Nintendo Switch?  They have ported Skyrim and The Witcher so I would assume possibly this could be as well. The portability factor is what I’m looking at here where you could take the game on the road.  It would be fun to actually have the game available anytime and play it whenever you want. 

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm not sure the Switch can handle a game like 7 Days To Die, especially the full released version whenever it goes Gold. And as SylenThunder mentioned, the game is very CPU and RAM focused which the Switch lacks in terms of hardware specs. Even the current console version takes a hit in performance with some areas, like when riding a mini bike for example so I could only imagine how it would run on the Switch. With that being said, if you don't have a PC or don't want to spend a lot of money on building/buying one to play 7 Days To Die, your best bet is to get a PlayStation or Xbox and play the current console port until the new console version releases.

Edited by II Blittz II (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

What about the older alpha like what ps4 edition has. 

just the thought of being able to play the game on the go would be awesome.

the game ark survival evolved is made with UE4 I believe. Also the game rocket league is UE4 I think. And with unity being  basically less complicated than UE4, it gave me the thought that it could possibly run on the switch. But I’m now seeing that the version of the game will most likely not have optimization updates just tells me now that there’s no chance. I just wanted to make a suggestion.

Edited by Icrapbricks12 (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, Icrapbricks12 said:

The data I referenced, is based on the old game version which has lower hardware specs than the current or future versions.

Unity is not less complicated than UE4. UE4 has nowhere near the capability of Unity when it comes to Voxels.  Also note that A:SE and RocketLeague are not Voxel games. Completely different. Those games only care about the GPU performance. Also note that nearly every game ported to the switch has to have a major graphic overhaul to be able to function on the switch. Texture resolutions are cut in half, textures are cut out, and overall content is reduced.

7 hours ago, Icrapbricks12 said:

just the thought of being able to play the game on the go would be awesome.

the game ark survival evolved is made with UE4 I believe. Also the game rocket league is UE4 I think. And with unity being  basically less complicated than UE4, it gave me the thought that it could possibly run on the switch. But I’m now seeing that the version of the game will most likely not have optimization updates just tells me now that there’s no chance. I just wanted to make a suggestion.

You can play 7 Days to Die on the go on a Valve Steamdeck

Yeah with only 4GB (likely only about 2 or 3 available for games) of ram there's really no way to get it to run on the switch, I think it's limited to some tiny storage space too. I will second VoltraLux though, the game does run pretty well on the Steam Deck. I played an A21 run at an airport and on the plane on an entire flight and still had like 20-30% battery left ^^.

On 2/22/2024 at 10:31 AM, Roland said:

The developers have been moving mountains to get the game optimized enough to run on Xbox and Playstation. I don't think they'll be able to move worlds to get it to run on Switch.

Actually, worlds have been moved to get the game optimized enough for the consoles, getting it on the switch would be moving universes lol