Multiplayer Land Claim Block Suggestions

NolanStaark

Brand new to the game (only 166 hours since I got it for Christmas), and first time on this forum. 👋

TL:DR:

Spoiler

allow allies to place right next to each others LCB or users can grant permissions to their LCB via multiplayer menu

I did a high level search and couldn't see anything on this, so I'm still not sure this has been suggested, (sorry if it has :classic_sad:), but I'm sure LCBs are a talking point already as It's been a point of confusion and frustration (a couple of those 166 hours dedicated to figuring out how exactly they work) for a newbie like me, but I came up with a few potentially simple solutions, knowing each could presents their own set of programmatic challenges, but here they are:

Problem: Party/Allies like to collaborate in base building, but without greatly reducing the cover size, only 1 person's land claim block can cover the base, giving them exclusively all it's privilege's, causing players to needlessly login on dedicated servers to switch out their LCB for another users who would like to utilize said privileges.

Solution 1: Allow land claim blocks to be placed right next to each other for allies, and since they're touching they can all share the same settings as the first block placed, I.E. block coverage, dead-zone, etc... set by the server. (admittedly, not the most elegant or my favorite solution)

Solution 2: Allow land claim blocks privileges to be granted to allies via the multiplayer window, I dunno if all-or-none would be best or more granular (i.e. playerX can move traps, turrets, etc.. playerY can move crafting stations, etc...) would be best.

As an SDET on a programming team, I'm constantly looking for ways to improve my company's and other's software, so I hope this reaches the devs if it hasn't already been suggested. 

Thank you for your time

Edited by NolanStaark (see edit history)

18 hours ago, NolanStaark said:

Solution 2: Allow land claim blocks privileges to be granted to allies via the multiplayer window, I dunno if all-or-none would be best or more granular (i.e. playerX can move traps, turrets, etc.. playerY can move crafting stations, etc...) would be best.

This is a good solution, and probably easily moddable (my guess though is that the UI would be on the block itself, like locking/unlocking a chest). Wouldn't be surprised if someone has already produced a mod. You might check over in the modding forum.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

And if you can't find a mod for this, but want one, come back here. I poked around a little bit in the code and it looks like it might be easy enough for a caveman Boidster to do it. A brute-force mod anyhow, which just sets all Land Claims to be ally-usable. Boidster not good have UI mod skill yet <grunt>.

1 hour ago, Boidster said:

This is a good solution, and probably easily moddable (my guess though is that the UI would be on the block itself, like locking/unlocking a chest). Wouldn't be surprised if someone has already produced a mod. You might check over in the modding forum.

Thank you! 

It would be more obvious in the radial menu, but I'm having a hard time imagining how it would work in the radial menu for more granular permissions, but if it works intuitively I'm for it! I can definitely see how it would work for all-or-nothing.

After you suggested it, I did do search through the mods forum, for LCB or "Land Claim" but nothing stood out as close to this. Thank you for your suggestion tho!!! 

I must be missing something.

Other than moving crafting stations what privileges does the LCB extend?  AFAIK the LCB still protects from spawns even if the owning player is not logged in.  If the missing player owns the LCB, does this affect the party members (no party I guess) abilities to build?  (Not that I can recall but have not played on a dedicated server just peer)

I have encountered the not being able to build problem and locked storage but that was due to not being "allies" and/or having formed a party and not unlocking storage.

There is registry change that allows a player to have multiple active LCBs but I do not think LCB size or coverage is the issue of the OP.     

I feel like TFP could do a bit more work on the land claim as a concept. Currently it functions for what its named to do: claim land. But its effectively the centrepoint of your base (literally) and could be a great spot to add some control elements to your land.

an idea is replacing it with a worktable where you can manage the construction of your base, perhaps looking at it can bring up a menu that shows damaged blocks in your land claim area and other information, upgrading it can allow it to access electrical systems and cameras.

Also some variety of blocks would be cool, played on one server where you could change the land claim shape to a flag or something else, that was neat.

As a worktable you could allow it to access pvp settings to whitelist certain players or allow them to claim in the same area.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:58 PM, 8_Hussars said:

I must be missing something.

Other than moving crafting stations what privileges does the LCB extend?  AFAIK the LCB still protects from spawns even if the owning player is not logged in.  If the missing player owns the LCB, does this affect the party members (no party I guess) abilities to build?  (Not that I can recall but have not played on a dedicated server just peer)

I have encountered the not being able to build problem and locked storage but that was due to not being "allies" and/or having formed a party and not unlocking storage.

There is registry change that allows a player to have multiple active LCBs but I do not think LCB size or coverage is the issue of the OP.     

The problem me and my friends are running into is: one person is focusing on crafting, another on traps/base building, so if we want to shuffle those things around in our base as we learn of our weaknesses in our base, we have to also shuffle LCBs around, at the other person's leisure since we're not always on at the same time.

Admittedly this isn't game breaking for us, but having the option to allow each other to customize their part of the base they're in charge at their discretion would be a nice QOL for multiplayer games.

Also, from what I've read so far, the LCB doesn't protect from spawns, just from other non-ally players. It's bedrolls that protect from spawns, in either case, I think you're correct, I also think they work while their owners are offline.

On 2/12/2022 at 1:53 PM, bloodmoth13 said:

I feel like TFP could do a bit more work on the land claim as a concept. Currently it functions for what its named to do: claim land. But its effectively the centrepoint of your base (literally) and could be a great spot to add some control elements to your land.

an idea is replacing it with a worktable where you can manage the construction of your base, perhaps looking at it can bring up a menu that shows damaged blocks in your land claim area and other information, upgrading it can allow it to access electrical systems and cameras.

Also some variety of blocks would be cool, played on one server where you could change the land claim shape to a flag or something else, that was neat.

As a worktable you could allow it to access pvp settings to whitelist certain players or allow them to claim in the same area.

That could be a good idea, which gave me an idea, what if the LCB could be upgraded to provide better protection in various ways, such as spawns, increased coverage range, or more HP for its covered blocks, etc....

I just saw the forum Pimp Dreams, where we can give suggestions, which is where this post should be, so please reply to that thread here:

2 hours ago, NolanStaark said:

The problem me and my friends are running into is: one person is focusing on crafting, another on traps/base building, so if we want to shuffle those things around in our base as we learn of our weaknesses in our base, we have to also shuffle LCBs around, at the other person's leisure since we're not always on at the same time.

Admittedly this isn't game breaking for us, but having the option to allow each other to customize their part of the base they're in charge at their discretion would be a nice QOL for multiplayer games.

Also, from what I've read so far, the LCB doesn't protect from spawns, just from other non-ally players. It's bedrolls that protect from spawns, in either case I do think they work while their owners are offline.

Ok, I got you now.  Allied members can build and destroy blocks but cannot relocate work stations and traps.  Agreed that would be a good change for MP Co-Op.

If the LCB Deadzone was set to Zero, meaning they could touch but overlap, would that help at all?  I am assuming that "part of the base they're in charge of" is a functional statement and not a physical area. 

IIRC; Bedrolls prevent POI sleeper respawns and LCBs prevent random biome spawns in addition to the block buffs, etc.

On 2/14/2022 at 1:45 PM, 8_Hussars said:

If the LCB Deadzone was set to Zero, meaning they could touch but overlap, would that help at all?  I am assuming that "part of the base they're in charge of" is a functional statement and not a physical area. 

Its technically both, because traps/electric components can be used anywhere in the base, but not one specific location in the base, to clarify, the "area" they're in charge of is Traps/Electricity/Base Building, while the other "area" is Crafting/Smelting/Chemistry/Food, etc.... each person needing the ability to move their respectable "area" components anywhere in the base without relying on the other person's availability to remove their LCB, so touching but not overlapping, unfortunately, won't over come this issue, however, overlapping would

On 2/14/2022 at 1:45 PM, 8_Hussars said:

IIRC; Bedrolls prevent POI sleeper respawns and LCBs prevent random biome spawns in addition to the block buffs, etc.

It sounds like this is a controversial topic, so sorry for stirring the pot, but reading this LCB wiki, https://7daystodie.fandom.com/wiki/Land_Claim_Block

it only mentions blocking other players in multiplayer, nothing about zombies.
Also there is a Myth Busters video at the bottom of that page, 

Whereas the Bedroll wiki, specifically states it prevents Zombie spawns:
https://7daystodie.fandom.com/wiki/Bedroll

Take the wiki(s) with a grain of salt.  Vedui42's quoted video is for A17, three alphas old.  There is more current testing on youtube (even by Vedui42).   

As any allied player can build/renovate I would suggest let the Traps/Electricity player have the LCB honors.  For the crafter; have them move the workstations outside the LCB somewhere although I struggle to envision a scenario where workstations have to move about, other than for a planned relocation which could be easily coordinated.

Edited by 8_Hussars (see edit history)

59 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

Take the wiki(s) with a grain of salt.  Vedui42's quoted video is for A17, three alphas old.  There is more current testing on youtube (even by Vedui42).   

Yeah, do, I just haven't seen any mention of LCB changes in A18, 19 or 20, so if it didn't work in A17, then they didn't document it or its still the same. Good point tho

59 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

As any allied player can build/renovate I would suggest let the Traps/Electricity player have the LCB honors.  For the crafter; have them move the workstations outside the LCB somewhere although I struggle to envision a scenario where workstations have to move about, other than for a planned relocation which could be easily coordinated.

Yep, this is what we've done, so it's not impossible to get around, just tedious