Game running fine until todays update, now crashes immediately after loading.

Fusion

This is a new bug that started popping up in A20.1. It appears that the game is have trouble determining where your player is supposed to spawn and can’t resolve the issue. Unless someone else has come up with an easy fix, I haven’t heard of any, you need to delete your player profile then try to load back in. If you fail to get in after deleting the profile then the entire save is corrupted. If you do get in, you’ll be level one. You can then give yourself xp to get your levels back and use the creative menu to get your items back. Your base and all of your stuff in boxes will still be there, you will need to find it as your spawn will be random the first time. Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, Star69 said:

This is a new bug that started popping up in A20.1. It appears that the game is have trouble determining where your player is supposed to spawn and can’t resolve the issue. Unless someone else has come up with an easy fix, I haven’t heard of any, you need to delete your player profile then try to load back in. If you fail to get in after deleting the profile then the entire save is corrupted. If you do get in, you’ll be level one. You can then give yourself xp to get your levels back and use the creative menu to get your items back. Your base and all of your stuff in boxes will still be there, you will need to find it as your spawn will be random the first time. Hope this helps.

This is the first helpful answer I've found about this.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Star69 said:

Hmm... I deleted my character profile, created a new guy, continued the game... and my old character still exists, falling through the sky like before.  I assume that means I need to delete him more thoroughly?  Could you possibly tell me how?

Go into your Saves folder and select the world you are currently using. Click through until you see the Players folder. Delete 3 3 folders associated with you. If you’re playing single player there should only be 3 files. Start the game launcher, select tools and check maps and profile then hit clean. Boot up the game and join. You will download the map again but should enter as a level 1. If you don’t know where your saves are, click on the pinned thread and there’s a section on finding your saves depending on your operating system:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/3998-support-faq-information-and-common-solutions/

48 minutes ago, Star69 said:

Many thanks, I appreciate it.  I'm actually the host, with one other player on the server.  Am I at risk of accidentally deleting his player as well?  I'd like him to be able to carry on without starting from scratch.

EDIT: It looks like there are six files in the Player folder: two MAP, two TTP, and two BAK.

Edited by Prydonian (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

Yes, if you don't identify which player has which steam id.

Ah.  I am what you’d call a complete noob in matters such as this.  Could you possibly tell me how?  I know our IDs, of course, but I don’t want to make a mistake, here…

8 hours ago, Star69 said:

Thank you so much for your help, I shall give this a try, your help is very much appreciated. Thank you.

9 hours ago, Prydonian said:

Ah.  I am what you’d call a complete noob in matters such as this.  Could you possibly tell me how?  I know our IDs, of course, but I don’t want to make a mistake, here…

Open your latest output_log file for the server, scan down until you find the first player joining. There will be the players name and steam ID then it will assign the EOS number to that player. That EOS number corresponds to 3 of those files in the Player folder.

59 minutes ago, Star69 said:

Open your latest output_log file for the server, scan down until you find the first player joining. There will be the players name and steam ID then it will assign the EOS number to that player. That EOS number corresponds to 3 of those files in the Player folder.

Gotcha, I’ll take a look.  I may come begging for more assistance later!  Thanks!

12 hours ago, Star69 said:

Go into your Saves folder and select the world you are currently using. Click through until you see the Players folder. Delete 3 3 folders associated with you.

Just for clarification - I’m pretty sure this was a typo, but did it mean “delete 3 files?”