Removing Quest (nexttrader) from the quests.xml creates error when near trader.

Robeloto

In my Nerf them all mod I wanted to remove some of the quest rewards that were just too good.

Edit: I was wrong. It was not the groupquest rewards but this : Tier *_nexttrader quests.

<remove xpath="/quests/quest[@id='tier2_nexttrader']" />
<remove xpath="/quests/quest[@id='tier3_nexttrader']" />
<remove xpath="/quests/quest[@id='tier4_nexttrader']" />
<remove xpath="/quests/quest[@id='tier5_nexttrader']" />

And this will create a red Nullreference error when near the trader. I cannot really understand why. Maybe I am missing something here. The code is right and there is no errors when starting up, but the error will spawn as soon I enter the trader area.

Edited by Robeloto (see edit history)

• Robeloto changed the title to Removing Quest (nexttrader) from the quests.xml creates error when near trader.

Okay, I'm looking at some old configs, so this might be wrong, but rather than removing the actual quests, have you tried removing those quests from the quest_list? I think the error might spring from traders looking at their quest_list when you get near and finding references to the quests you removed.

Oh, just wanted to say that's a handsome lad in your icon, too.

Edited by Cranberry Monster
Noted handsome budgie (see edit history)

Probably because somewhere in the game, you are directed to do those quests.  If you remove those quests in the quests.xml file, you also have to remove them from the code that pulls it up.  When you get close to the trader, it starts loading up the information for when you interact with them.  So it will see how many quests you have completed for the current tier and prep that quest.  Since you removed the next trader quests, there is nothing for it when it looks for that quest and you get the Null Reference error you are seeing.

I don't know where it points to those quests yet, but an easier solution would just be to remove the rewards themselves, but keep the quests.

4 hours ago, Cranberry Monster said:

Okay, I'm looking at some old configs, so this might be wrong, but rather than removing the actual quests, have you tried removing those quests from the quest_list? I think the error might spring from traders looking at their quest_list when you get near and finding references to the quests you removed.

Oh, just wanted to say that's a handsome lad in your icon, too.

Thank you! He was a very cute budgie that learned to talk. He passed away in summer 2013.

3 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Probably because somewhere in the game, you are directed to do those quests.  If you remove those quests in the quests.xml file, you also have to remove them from the code that pulls it up.  When you get close to the trader, it starts loading up the information for when you interact with them.  So it will see how many quests you have completed for the current tier and prep that quest.  Since you removed the next trader quests, there is nothing for it when it looks for that quest and you get the Null Reference error you are seeing.

I don't know where it points to those quests yet, but an easier solution would just be to remove the rewards themselves, but keep the quests.

1 hour ago, Telric said:

Did you remove the reference to them in the quest list as well?

Thank you! Guess I was not thinking of removing them from the questlist also. So now it seems to work well.

<remove xpath="/quests/quest[@id='tier2_nexttrader']" />
<remove xpath="/quests/quest[@id='tier3_nexttrader']" />
<remove xpath="/quests/quest[@id='tier4_nexttrader']" />
<remove xpath="/quests/quest[@id='tier5_nexttrader']" />

<remove xpath="/quests/quest_list[@id='trader_quests']/quest[@id='tier2_nexttrader']" />
<remove xpath="/quests/quest_list[@id='trader_quests']/quest[@id='tier3_nexttrader']" />
<remove xpath="/quests/quest_list[@id='trader_quests']/quest[@id='tier4_nexttrader']" />
<remove xpath="/quests/quest_list[@id='trader_quests']/quest[@id='tier5_nexttrader']" />

18 hours ago, Telric said:

Did you remove the reference to them in the quest list as well?

I didn't realize that was all you had to do.  I saw the list at the bottom, but thought that there was something else that was specifically starting those quests.

I feared that removing those would still cause the NRE to occur.