How do Trade Route quests work?

Sjustus548

How do trade routes work these days?  We've been doing quests for our local trader and are currently on Tier 4 quests.  The Opening Trade Routes Tier 2 quest has been unlocked for a little while but we recently just got motorcycles to complete it, not going to walk the 2km that it required lol.  We did that quest and thought we could just go back to our original trader to unlock the next one but she just sends us right back to the second one again.  Do we need to do quests for the second trader to unlock the quest for the next one or is there something that we are missing?  

As far as i know you do Tier 1 quests at your first trader which then unlocks your tier 2 quest opening trade routes which then puts you back at tier 1 quests at your new trader "unless" your new trader is a clone of your first trader which means you get tier 2 quests

From reading your post it seems maybe you have headed out for the tier 3 opening trade routes otherwise maybe your game is bugged

4 hours ago, Urban Blackbear said:

I've had them send me to a trader I've already "unlocked" before. I think the game may look for ones within a certain distance per Tier. It's a bit hard to get a picture of whats going on. Do you still have the Opening Trade Routes quest uncompleted?

We completed the Opening Trade Routes quest our first trader gives us but when we go back to her she still has an Opening Trade Routes quest available but it just leads back to the same trader again.  Maybe it's just bugged and doesn't trigger the completion even though we have completed it multiple times already.

13 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

We completed the Opening Trade Routes quest our first trader gives us but when we go back to her she still has an Opening Trade Routes quest available but it just leads back to the same trader again.  Maybe it's just bugged and doesn't trigger the completion even though we have completed it multiple times already.

I had this happen on my most recent game; after returning to the trader who gave me the T1 trade routes quest, he still had the option available and I was able to take the quest a second time.

This was going from Trader Hugh to Rekt, and I had previously visited Rekt outside of the quest. After finishing T2, it sent me to what I assume is the next closest trader which I had not visited, and it worked as normal.

I did suspect it may have bugged out as I had already visited Rekt before being sent there on the quest, and had meant to see if I could replicate the situation, but TBH had forgotten about it until reading this.