Horde Base (home base) on an island? Will it work?

ThouShallNotCamp

My favorite place to build is in the snow and I generated a map that has a decent size lake in the snow with a couple cities nearby. It also has a good size island and a smaller one in the middle of it. I was going to do a build there, but I am so used to doing a combo horde base/base that I really just want to build that there and live there. With that being said, will being in the middle of an island have any effect on spawning zombies for blood moon? Someone told me the spawning radius is 80 blocks, which shouldn't be an issue, but I don't want to do it and then have it not work correctly.

Thanks for any input! 

SnowIsland.JPG

Besides the fact that i would never fight the horde at my homebase i think this should work. They swim now so they are pretty fast in water, faster than you can swim, so you will need a bridge, otherwise you will surely die often on the way to your island. Funfact: Vultures can dive and attack underwater, wich shouldn´t be an issue in the snowbiome though. Also hope that this is not intended and will be fixed.

While zombies will dig to get to you, i don´t see why they would do it from underwater when it´s faster to simply go on the island. You should maybe test that in a seperate game, give yourself XP and use cheatmode to get at least a halfdecent horde base for testing.

Or you simply give them bridges from all sides so they can easily run on them to your horde base.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

the zombies will spawn anywhere from 30 to 70 blocks from you on any block except upgraded/upgradable blocks placed by the player they will spawn on player placed dirt blocks at least that used to be the case so if your island isn't more than 30 blocks from your base to the edge of the water at any point the zombies won't spawn there.

They can swim, so they may still swim to the island. While most people do not like building their base as the home base there are some advantages and disadvantages to it. 

The first thing to get out of the way: If they destroy your storage, those items are lost. If they destroy a furnace, all the stuff in it is lost. 

Now, if you like blade traps then there can be an issue where if you die, but a blade trap kills a zombie in the horde before you respawn, then this may prevent horde night from stopping, so if you respawn at home, it will be during horde night. A huge and dangerous issue if you have a separate horde base, but a meh problem if your main base is your horde base. 

Now, i have started turning off notifications and putting a window on the blood moon, so now i have essentially random horde nights. This means that my horde base either needs to be my home base, or i need to have a horde base close by. 

This video covers spawning distance pretty well for A19 and I don't think it's really changed for A20. I haven't tested it, though. The link goes to the timestamp where he's testing the blood moon horde specifically.

It's hard to tell from the top-down, but it sure looks like the island is big enough to have a base and still spawn in the horde. And also that it's far enough from the mainland that you probably won't get any spawns swimming out to you. They ought to all spawn right on the island.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)