Parts?

ungkor

What is the point of finding "parts" of weapons or tools?   By the time you actually have enough parts, and the skill points, and all the other ingredients to make X, you probably already have X. 

I wish they would just re-balance the game to let us discover actual functioning weapons and tools in loot.  

I've been playing this game for a few years, and it seems like the developers answer to "the game is over too soon", is just "make it harder to get anything". 

Make content for us.  Don't make impediments for us.  

--------------------

On a side note, it seems like the most recent versions of the game are designed around multiplayer.    During alpha 17, you could have a mode of transportation, be strong enough to fight zeds, and grow crops and build bases,  by level 50 or so.  With alpha 20, it seems like you can only specialize in a 1-2 of those areas, and are super weak in the others.  

I don't feel like the devs are considering what it is like to be a solo player very well in Alpha 20.  

Kind of agree with you there. The only time I've made guns from parts rather than find or buy them, is in cooperative multiplayer.

For the first 3 or 4 weeks, it very much is a "any weapon's a weapon", and I do like that about a survival game... but there comes a point where I have put 3 points into say, shotguns and I am still using a pipe shotgun, and still short parts to make a proper one... It does feel a little unbalanced and frustrating at that point. I've learned to be a veritable expert in shotguns without having ever picked one up.

It's not a game killer for me, but it's certainly something I think could do with some tweaking to make progression feel a bit smoother.

Yes, I agree. I was able to find *all* the level appropriate tools and weapons before I could possibly craft them. I'm playing with standard loot rules. I have a few assorted parts in my storage, but with so many crafting gates I don't think it'll ever make sense for me to craft any of them. That's coming from an avid crafter.

Early game: sold

Mid game: used to craft higher levels based on your perks

Late game: used to craft tools/guns of a high enough quality to stick mods on them and sell them for "phat stax" at the traders

I do feel you get "too many" in the loot though. That could perhaps be balanced., that said they aren't something you can craft yourself.

On 12/20/2021 at 6:15 AM, Pernicious said:

Thanks. For now we're still playing vanilla, and I have to get a consensus among all players, but will keep it in mind. What's your mod called?

https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/1437

I didn't get to test it for A20 yet, but all it does is add recipes to the tool and weapon parts. There's no reason it shouldn't work unless the devs renamed them, which I don't see happening.

By the time I have enough parts to make things, I'm clearing T5 POIs and getting shots at Q6 top tier stuff anyways.  My current game I ended up with a Q6 steel knuckles and specced into endurance all the way....

Later i found the steel knuckles recipe for sale at a trader...

I didn't buy it.

If I can't CRAFT Q6 items with a chance at being better in some regard than found loot (thanks to randomized stats), then the instant I find a Q5 or Q6 item, that schematic and those parts are utterly worthless.  Even if I have a low end Q6, its still better than a high end Q5 due to mod slots.

The sole purpose of the crafting aspect of those weapon perks is for people that absolutely MUST spec into a certain weapon type, AND have utterly abysmal luck with loot + quest rewards, and even that benefit's value and lasting effect are utterly minimal.