Sam's Storage Stuff - A20, Server-Side

saminal

This was one I worked on for A19 but didn't make a post about it, so now I've updated it for A20 here you go. A bunch of lockable furniture to make a base a little more like home. Bookcases, pillcases, cupboards, fridges and desks all now store a full "Storage Crate" worth of loot, and can be locked and coded.

For the Fridges and Desks, if you damage the container to unlock it it will appear opened. I have plans to add more storage options once I've finished the rest of my A20 compatibility blitz.

Download here - the file at this link will be updated as the mod receives updates.

fridge.jpg.e01fad43a5c7d59824b2b8feae6b6915.jpg

pillcase.png.d3c428d74e5587c63175be7fd5e118c3.png

menu.thumb.jpg.e7d85d7d102f80f984e9672e68f39d60.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is exactly what's A20 missing. If I remember correctly, A19 had the option to create a storage box and you could paint it like a cupboard, but in A20 the crafted storage box really is a wooden crate and cannot be painted. This mod probably goes against the convention set by new standards (shapes and whatnot), but it does exactly what I need and I don't care much about the way how it works, so thank you.

2 hours ago, Masonic said:

Love this, thx you much!
Are you planning on making the Lockers/clothing storage and Ammo/weapons cases as well? I am liking this better than just putting everything in crates with a sign slapped on them for every item type. 

Lockers definitely.. which ammo / weapons boxes do you mean? The racks from Shotgun Messiah?

2 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

This is exactly what's A20 missing. If I remember correctly, A19 had the option to create a storage box and you could paint it like a cupboard, but in A20 the crafted storage box really is a wooden crate and cannot be painted. This mod probably goes against the convention set by new standards (shapes and whatnot), but it does exactly what I need and I don't care much about the way how it works, so thank you.

The plain crate in the second row of wooden furniture / storage block shape options can still be painted, it's just not the default shape for that block any more so you have to select it.

49 minutes ago, saminal said:

Lockers definitely.. which ammo / weapons boxes do you mean? The racks from Shotgun Messiah?

I'm not sure if that's what Masonic is referring to, but I would love to be able to craft those equipment racks. I spawned one in for my last save, but they don't hold very much. And I'd much rather craft items instead of CM'ing them in. Also +1 for the lockers. I love the look of the lockers in game but the ones we can craft now don't hold nearly as much stuff as they should for the space they take up.

I used to use another "bigger storage" mod for A19 so I'm very glad to find yours for A20! 

Updated! Added:

Lockers (three varieties)
Cupboards - using a block variant helper (shape menu) so you can craft 10 of one item and then figure out what looks good. Old and new style both in the one block, including sinks!

Gun and Armor racks

Metal desk
Redownload from the link in the original post and slide it in. No issues adding this to an existing game.

12 hours ago, Mahnogard said:

The plain crate in the second row of wooden furniture / storage block shape options can still be painted, it's just not the default shape for that block any more so you have to select it.

Ok, I haven't found it which is why I made that assumption, could you please elaborate? Where exactly do I find this? Is it somewhere in the shape menu? And which item do I need to select as a starting item to go into shape selection menu? Before I made my previous post, I was trying to find it with no success.

1 hour ago, mr.devolver said:

Ok, I haven't found it which is why I made that assumption, could you please elaborate? Where exactly do I find this? Is it somewhere in the shape menu? And which item do I need to select as a starting item to go into shape selection menu? Before I made my previous post, I was trying to find it with no success.

Craft a Wooden Storage / Furniture block, go into the shapes menu:

storage2.jpg.2e43346a1951925178972d9f1c8b2a62.jpg

Pick that bad boy, bung it on the floor or stick it to a wall, grab your paintbrush and bingo bango:

storage1.jpg.f844df9763c816b3e0c5bda3e260be22.jpg

21 minutes ago, saminal said:

Craft a Wooden Storage / Furniture block, go into the shapes menu:

storage2.jpg.2e43346a1951925178972d9f1c8b2a62.jpg

Pick that bad boy, bung it on the floor or stick it to a wall, grab your paintbrush and bingo bango:

storage1.jpg.f844df9763c816b3e0c5bda3e260be22.jpg

Hmm, I swear that I tried this previously and it wasn't there. I will have to check this out again, because I'm starting to feel like my game is broken lol

4 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

Hmm, I swear that I tried this previously and it wasn't there. I will have to check this out again, because I'm starting to feel like my game is broken lol

The game could be messing with you. It does that. LOL

Mine's messing with me. I got to my little future home in the forest. Happy, excited, full of possibilities. And so ready to craft all these cool new storage things that Sam made for us. Except I only have 6 leather so I can't make a forge to make the nails. I'm in the forest, animals live in the forest right? Sure, except in my forest way outside of town, all the animals are chickens. So today I have to hike all the way back into town to hunt down the real big game - office chairs and leather couches. :D 

Over in General Discussion, people are complaining about early wolf spawns and I'm over here like, "Send them my way, please!"

#deadworldproblems

26 minutes ago, Mahnogard said:

The game could be messing with you. It does that. LOL

Mine's messing with me. I got to my little future home in the forest. Happy, excited, full of possibilities. And so ready to craft all these cool new storage things that Sam made for us. Except I only have 6 leather so I can't make a forge to make the nails. I'm in the forest, animals live in the forest right? Sure, except in my forest way outside of town, all the animals are chickens. So today I have to hike all the way back into town to hunt down the real big game - office chairs and leather couches. :D 

Over in General Discussion, people are complaining about early wolf spawns and I'm over here like, "Send them my way, please!"

#deadworldproblems

In the meantime, I checked out the shapes and it's really there, I don't know where was it hiding before! LOL

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out, because I wouldn't probably bother to give it yet another try otherwise. Since you helped me, I'd like to give you some tips too. Start scrapping leather armor, leather clothes that you don't need (you WILL get better stuff soon enough anyway), dismantle office chairs, brown couches and visit Savage Country store and browse through all the racks and hangers with clothes and look even at the ground there must be thousands of leather boots, shoes, pants, surely more than enough to find your complete clothes while still having enough to scrap to swim in leathers and just enough to carry in your backpack to trader so that you can sell for decent amount of Dukes. In one of my previous gameplays in Navezgane, I spawned near that store and so it was the first thing I visited. At first I was like "Ugh, if this was at least a book store, pharmacy or hardware store, something more useful..." but by the time I finished looting that place, I was swimming in leathers, and all kinds of loot that I could sell to trader, so it wasn't bad at all for a first day! :D

Edited by mr.devolver (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, mr.devolver said:

Since you helped me, I'd like to give you some tips too.

Thanks for all of that! Yeah, I'm just suffering for my decision to go live in the middle of nowhere on Day 1. LOL My next session will be spent going back into town and taking / dismantling everything. Then I can proceed with my true post-apoc goal - having a nice kitchen.

3 minutes ago, Mahnogard said:

Thanks for all of that! Yeah, I'm just suffering for my decision to go live in the middle of nowhere on Day 1. LOL My next session will be spent going back into town and taking / dismantling everything. Then I can proceed with my true post-apoc goal - having a nice kitchen.

Nice goal! I was never much of a builder myself, but recently I downloaded couple of mods like decorations from Telric, working devices from JaxTeller718, because I wanted to try something different - I wanted to make my new base look like home, or at least have a working kitchen with cupboards, working coffee maker, working microwave, working stove, working sink, instead of just having a campfire and a wooden chest full of food, lol. I started working towards that goal and as I was adding new things to the little kitchen, zombies started visiting me more too, it starts to feel like Sims zombie edition lol :D

19 minutes ago, mr.devolver said:

I wanted to make my new base look like home, or at least have a working kitchen with cupboards, working coffee maker, working microwave, working stove, working sink, instead of just having a campfire and a wooden chest full of food, lol.

When I quit for the night last evening my kitchen was a campfire, a coffee maker and microwave (both of which I wrenched out of the upper office of a nearby ranger station POI - and I broke my leg twice getting up there so I'm glad I came home with something useful). All of it sitting on the floor until I get my forge going for nails. Oh, and Telric's ceiling fan happily spinning above. 

(Since Jax moved the tea and coffee recipes out of the campfire, I really needed that coffee maker. LOL)

Edited by Mahnogard
Because I can't read, apparently. (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, Mahnogard said:

When I quit for the night last evening my kitchen was a campfire, a coffee maker and microwave (both of which I wrenched out of the upper office of a nearby ranger station POI - and I broke my leg twice getting up there so I'm glad I came home with something useful). All of it sitting on the floor until I get my forge going for nails. Oh, and Telric's ceiling fan happily spinning above. 

(Since Jax moved the tea and coffee recipes out of the campfire, I really needed that coffee maker. LOL)

Nice setup, hard work paid off then, good job. Oh and did Jax really move that stuff from campfire to coffee maker? I think I still have those recipes in my campfire (I don't have the stove yet, so I'm still using the campfire right now).

10 minutes ago, mr.devolver said:

Nice setup, hard work paid off then, good job. Oh and did Jax really move that stuff from campfire to coffee maker? I think I still have those recipes in my campfire (I don't have the stove yet, so I'm still using the campfire right now).

Yup, he really did. LOL I got all set to make tea yesterday and the recipe wasn't in the campfire anymore. You can still boil water in the campfire but tea and coffee require a coffee maker. I do feel fortunate that there was one nearby. Sure, plain ol' water works to keep you alive, but I'd gotten attached to the extra benefits of the other drinks. :D 

9 minutes ago, Mahnogard said:

Yup, he really did. LOL I got all set to make tea yesterday and the recipe wasn't in the campfire anymore. You can still boil water in the campfire but tea and coffee require a coffee maker. I do feel fortunate that there was one nearby. Sure, plain ol' water works to keep you alive, but I'd gotten attached to the extra benefits of the other drinks. :D 

Oh, I didn't even realize it was just regular water that's available in campfire, I guess at some point people just stop making difference between coffee, tea and regular or mineral water. I mean, I know there are some benefits and I'm trying to keep the better stuff for bad times, but I'm usually just drinking boiled water and only drink those better drinks when I'm already dying of dehydration or simply when I don't have regular water anymore and I know that it would only get worse because I won't have a chance to drink in a while if I don't drink now. But yeah, those drinks with benefits are very useful. Especially Goldenrod tea drink in early game lol. ;)

Speaking of Goldenrod tea, I'm currently testing my new mod that has stronger healing benefit for that particular situation. If everything goes well, I'll share it soon.

Edited by mr.devolver (see edit history)