Replace Gyrocopter by Large Truck with mods for forge, workbench and chem station

user12345

Some players, like me, enjoy not only building a base to collect/store/process their collected resources but also to play some maps as rambling man. The 4x4 is currently the vehicle with the biggest storage and therefore my choice though I can't do any smelting/crafting and still need a base to do so - which is not worth the time when playing horde every night.

At the same time the gyrocopter seems a bit misplaced in the game. Travelling in the air allows players to skip a lot of the content, avoid hordes at all and land on tier 5 buildings easily to grab the main loot.

What about replacing the gyrocopter by a new (bigger) truck which

- provides larger storage than the 4x4

- supports mods to add a working forge, workbench and chem station

so people can build a mobile base in late game?

That would allow players to take a different play style if they want to, living as rambling man without any base doing the smelting & crafting in their truck while being on the road.

Nice ideam, but why not propose to convert the 4x4 to make it nomad-worthy? Proposing to scrap a perfectly working element in the game for it might not get you much support. 😉 I like the gyro very much for example.

It isn't any safer than driving with a motorbike. If you disagree, just tell me when was the last time you got into a serious fight while driving with the motorbike? The most I ever had was a zombie giving me a small glancing hit if I opted to play pinball wizard with it. I would even say that vultures are slightly more dangerous for a gyro than any zombie for a motorbike. Getting into trouble because your fuel runs out in the wilderness can happen with a gyro as well.

Getting to the loot in tier5 buildings by foot is as easy as building 25 wodden ladders.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

I support this idea with a couple changes (and some related ideas).  Instead of totally ditching the gyro provide a "Gyro Rarity" toggle for admins that gets rid of the ready-built components.  Pre-built "accessories" , airframes and so on would be unbelievably rare in a post-apoc scenario so building them from scratch would be a virtual requirement.  Also, if its not already the case, landing one on a building should draw every enemy within at least four floors..there's no such thing as a chopper stealth landing.  Tiny helos are also fairly fragile and should take damage from any significant impact and offer almost NO protection to the pilot.  As for the mobile base I'd make it a drivable army truck with just enough room for one or two crafting stations.

Edited by psycros (see edit history)

On 6/24/2021 at 9:12 AM, user12345 said:

Some players, like me, enjoy not only building a base to collect/store/process their collected resources but also to play some maps as rambling man. The 4x4 is currently the vehicle with the biggest storage and therefore my choice though I can't do any smelting/crafting and still need a base to do so - which is not worth the time when playing horde every night.

At the same time the gyrocopter seems a bit misplaced in the game. Travelling in the air allows players to skip a lot of the content, avoid hordes at all and land on tier 5 buildings easily to grab the main loot.

What about replacing the gyrocopter by a new (bigger) truck which

- provides larger storage than the 4x4

- supports mods to add a working forge, workbench and chem station

so people can build a mobile base in late game?

That would allow players to take a different play style if they want to, living as rambling man without any base doing the smelting & crafting in their truck while being on the road.

I don`t have anything against gyro but I`d rather mind battles and struggle on the ground. The steering and physics in gyro is not the greatest so I simply prefer having more resources for polished ground vehicles then. Sitting in gyro seems like cheating or going the easy mode in post apo game to my understanding. 

@meganoth I fully understand if you like to play with the gyro. I guess if it wouldn't be in the game I would wish it to be in, too. xD I just wanted to say that iff there's a need to drop one vehicle (to gain some resources for textures, geometry, items, etc.) then I would choose the gyro.

Btw, to be fair - I wouldn't call the steering behavior of the gyro "perfectly working" ;)

22 hours ago, user12345 said:

@meganoth I fully understand if you like to play with the gyro. I guess if it wouldn't be in the game I would wish it to be in, too. xD I just wanted to say that iff there's a need to drop one vehicle (to gain some resources for textures, geometry, items, etc.) then I would choose the gyro.

That may be, but it is a diplomatic mine field. Like sitting in a very popular bath house in an ancient greek city with lots of Athenians and Spartans. You then could say out loud "I need a few more Athenians for a learned discussion on this text by Plato ...", without providing a solution to the problem how more people can fit into this already crowded bath house. All is peaceful (still). But then you add ",we could throw out a few Spartans to make space".

Now guess who the guy is who is dumped into a small side alley a few minutes later, bloody and unconscious? 😄

Btw, to be fair - I wouldn't call the steering behavior of the gyro "perfectly working" ;)

I heard the behaviour is similar to real gyros. Do you have better information? To be clear, that planes in Battlefield 1942 are easy to fly won't be sufficient evidence 😉

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)