Dedicated server lag map 8k

Sarakatunga

Hello, I have several doubts that are driving me crazy. I have a dedicated server with Win 7 ultimate 64 bits, fx3850, ssd, 16 gb gs skill ddr3 2133 mhz. Previously I used a 6k map with 18, COMPOPACK A19 CP47 players and new zombie mods, Server tools,Botman,Rat. and had no problem working without lag. Now I decided to make an 8k map made by the game since before it used nitrogen but I did not like how it placed the prefabs. The problem is that when the server is online for 3 hours it begins to have a lot of lag and the ping goes up when the zombies load. I've been deleting some prefabs that were overloaded with objects, Z etc. What I see is that the server when it starts to consume more than 8 gb + of ram begins to give peaks of lag, the processor does not exceed 40% of consumption, it is fixed when it restarts but I do not want to put it to restart every 2 hours is Very little I just want to know why it does not consume all the performance of the pc. Could it be the operating system that is causing conflicts with the ram? I understand with it is an old pc but before I did not have this problem. Edit: The amount I have now of players is 5-10.

Edited by Sarakatunga (see edit history)

Your CPU is your weak point there, and running Windows isn't doing you any favors. The processor doesn't exceed 40% used because it can't. It's maxing out a couple of cores, and isn't properly multithreading. If you compare it to even a Xeon CPU from a few years prior, the Xeon will run circles around it. So will something equally old like an i7-3770.  (and they're beating it with lower clock speeds and fewer cores at that!)

Other considerations would be Pagefile size, amount of space on the SSD, other programs using RAM, ect. More information would be needed to assist you further with this, but be aware that your CPU is a pretty huge bottleneck to overcome.

7 hours ago, Sarakatunga said:

the processor does not exceed 40% of consumption

Monitor the threads on the processor to see if any are hitting 100%. I know Sylen said they are, but it's good to check these things for yourself.

Win 7's Resource monitor will show you this, or you could use a tool like hwinfo or hwmonitor. Also task manager will show this but

you have to specifially select 1 graph per cpu in the settings. (defaults to 1 graph for all cores)

You may have to ditch the zombies and compopack to see if they are a problem. (make a new 8k vanilla world and test that with your group)

That will help isolate the issue. Also, posting a log may help.

17 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Your CPU is your weak point there, and running Windows isn't doing you any favors. The processor doesn't exceed 40% used because it can't. It's maxing out a couple of cores, and isn't properly multithreading. If you compare it to even a Xeon CPU from a few years prior, the Xeon will run circles around it. So will something equally old like an i7-3770.  (and they're beating it with lower clock speeds and fewer cores at that!)

Other considerations would be Pagefile size, amount of space on the SSD, other programs using RAM, ect. More information would be needed to assist you further with this, but be aware that your CPU is a pretty huge bottleneck to overcome.

ok I understand. the ssd is 240gb and has 160gb available. The host is only used for the dedicated server 7 days. you don't have anything else installed until you discard the antivirus to see if that was the problem. But I found that I am overreaching the host with the custom 8k map and prefabs. Now I am dedicated to removing oversized prefabs and I see some improvement in performance. For the next one I will use nitrogen to create a 6k one since a pity that on 7 days you cannot create 6k maps, The default map of the game is navezgane is 6k; S. But hey as you say the processor is old I need to check well the custom prefabs that overload the performance.

11 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

Monitor the threads on the processor to see if any are hitting 100%. I know Sylen said they are, but it's good to check these things for yourself.

Win 7's Resource monitor will show you this, or you could use a tool like hwinfo or hwmonitor. Also task manager will show this but

you have to specifially select 1 graph per cpu in the settings. (defaults to 1 graph for all cores)

You may have to ditch the zombies and compopack to see if they are a problem. (make a new 8k vanilla world and test that with your group)

That will help isolate the issue. Also, posting a log may help.

If I am using "hwmonitor" and verify that some 2 cores go to 100% when the server is running for a long time. It is certain that if I use a map with vanilla prefabs I will not have this problem, they are rendered and do not exceed blocks and zombies objects.
So I verified another problem is that if players enter, then they disconnect and re-enter subsequently, it overloads faster, the server does not eliminate the junk data that the players load and many things. I don't know if the same thing happens to someone with a better host.

Yes a lot of your issues are directly related to the big POI's and what was found sometime ago with large numbers of spawn points - especially when you go into townes.  Reducing the numbers of large buildings can help but that's a bit of work.  Vanilla will generally not do this as that's been a part of the 'fix' TFP has made to address the lag issue, and again especially in townes.  I've never used the server command to clean the garbage: 'mem' and 'memcl' - so I don't know if that'll help.  I do know that using the visitmap command does help some since you're telling the server to generate the map, thereby reducing any workload it needs to do at any given time.  Map size divided by 2 so for 8k: visitmap -4096 -4096 4096 4096   Please note it will take sometime to do this but, I do it every time before I allow anyone on the map.  You'll have all that data in the log and if there are any 'broken chunks' you can use the "repairchunkdensity <x> <z> [fix]"  command found HERE.  But I haven't had to do that in a long while.  Something that may or maynot help is to add another ssd to the server and set the swap file (8 to maybe 16GB) to that ssd.  I have a feeling that your 'new zombie mods' are at the heart of your issues; so removing that one mod may help things more than anything else.  

Setting this to "6" will help performance.

<property name="ServerMaxAllowedViewDistance"    value="6" />

On 4/7/2021 at 1:45 PM, Sarakatunga said:

7 days you cannot create 6k maps,

You can create a 6k map with this setting in serverconfig.xml

<property name="WorldGenSize"                    value="6144"/>

On 4/13/2021 at 10:37 AM, Cadamier said:

Yes a lot of your issues are directly related to the big POI's and what was found sometime ago with large numbers of spawn points - especially when you go into townes.  Reducing the numbers of large buildings can help but that's a bit of work.  Vanilla will generally not do this as that's been a part of the 'fix' TFP has made to address the lag issue, and again especially in townes.  I've never used the server command to clean the garbage: 'mem' and 'memcl' - so I don't know if that'll help.  I do know that using the visitmap command does help some since you're telling the server to generate the map, thereby reducing any workload it needs to do at any given time.  Map size divided by 2 so for 8k: visitmap -4096 -4096 4096 4096   Please note it will take sometime to do this but, I do it every time before I allow anyone on the map.  You'll have all that data in the log and if there are any 'broken chunks' you can use the "repairchunkdensity <x> <z> [fix]"  command found HERE.  But I haven't had to do that in a long while.  Something that may or maynot help is to add another ssd to the server and set the swap file (8 to maybe 16GB) to that ssd.  I have a feeling that your 'new zombie mods' are at the heart of your issues; so removing that one mod may help things more than anything else.  

I didn't know anything about the visit map. I'm going to test it, do I have to do it whenever I restart the server? Now I am testing the ram memories I think they were dirty, I did a mem test to each one thinking it was their problem and the result was perfect. Now I am using only 8 gb of ram and I improve the server a lot, I don't know why. I have to leave the 16 gb of ram again to see if how it works without lag as now that it has 8 gb ram.

Edit: Then I confirm if the ram memory was the problem since they had a bit of dust. I need to keep testing them but for now with 8 GB it works without lag. I already ran the visitmap command and I'm testing... maybe it will help even more.

On 4/13/2021 at 3:15 PM, Beelzybub said:

Setting this to "6" will help performance.

<property name="ServerMaxAllowedViewDistance"    value="6" />

You can create a 6k map with this setting in serverconfig.xml

<property name="WorldGenSize"                    value="6144"/>

if I have it set to value = "6" />. Oh, thank you very much for the data, it didn't occur to me to make the map from the "serverconfig.xml". For the next one I'm going to do it since 8k is too big for a small server.

Edited by Sarakatunga (see edit history)