Duplex and variants, and a couple of questions.

Deverezieaux

Hi all, I've been trying to get into building prefabs for several years now, but have never been able to spend enough time to really dig into the tools. It didn't help that things tend to change quite a bit. I finally have some free time to work some up, and completed one I started in '18. Special thanks to @Genosis and the NAGG prefab creation videos, they are very clear, and thankfully for a guy like me with limited free time, short.

I've made a dungeon style POI based on the duplex type homes in my neighborhood in NY. It's been populated and tested to work with both fetch and clear quests. I'd like to make a series of these so that they can be placed in rows next to each other to create tight neighborhoods like those I live in. I've already started to work on the first variant. There are pics below.

I do have a couple of nagging issues (see what I did there?):

1. Rotation/facing has me a bit stumped. For some reason I can't wrap my head around how to set rotation so they place properly if used by someone else. I've read several posts, and watched a few videos, but for some reason this still stumps me. Little help?

2. What is the quickest/simplest way to package/export the prefab to share here for use by others? I know there are tools that folks use for this, and I imagine just taking the files from the prefabs folder and dropping them in a ZIP file won't be sufficient. There's actually so much info around different ways to do this it's a bit difficult for me to figure out what's the simplest. I realize it may be a matter of preference. Anyway, if someone can provide some guidance I'll export the prefab(s) and share them here. Thanks in advance.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Variant 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Deverezieaux said:

Hi all, I've been trying to get into building prefabs for several years now, but have never been able to spend enough time to really dig into the tools. It didn't help that things tend to change quite a bit. I finally have some free time to work some up, and completed one I started in '18. Special thanks to @Genosis and the NAGG prefab creation videos, they are very clear, and thankfully for a guy like me with limited free time, short.

I've made a dungeon style POI based on the duplex type homes in my neighborhood in NY. It's been populated and tested to work with both fetch and clear quests. I'd like to make a series of these so that they can be placed in rows next to each other to create tight neighborhoods like those I live in. I've already started to work on the first variant. There are pics below.

I do have a couple of nagging issues (see what I did there?):

1. Rotation/facing has me a bit stumped. For some reason I can't wrap my head around how to set rotation so they place properly if used by someone else. I've read several posts, and watched a few videos, but for some reason this still stumps me. Little help?

2. What is the quickest/simplest way to package/export the prefab to share here for use by others? I know there are tools that folks use for this, and I imagine just taking the files from the prefabs folder and dropping them in a ZIP file won't be sufficient. There's actually so much info around different ways to do this it's a bit difficult for me to figure out what's the simplest. I realize it may be a matter of preference. Anyway, if someone can provide some guidance I'll export the prefab(s) and share them here. Thanks in advance.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Variant 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hi @Deverezieaux

To answer your first question.

In tools 2 tab select  show facing . Fly round until you see a blue box with a arrow. Now with arrow in sight and face the way you want the poi to face the road..

Now simply rotate the arrow so the point is facing the same way as you.

2. Yes simply drag the files into a folder and zip and upload. 

Looks like some great pois btw.

Stallionsden

Thanks very much @stallionsden, that explanation was simple enough! I believe I've set facing properly and included the necessary files in the zip. If anyone has an issue with the zip, let me know if I need to change anything.

Here is the first of the series: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HxTFYQ_i-QH1bm9vsTR_5utJrF-jDoM9/view?usp=sharing

I hope to make at least 4 variants of these, the second one is about half done. I'm thinking, if I have the time, I'll move on to brownstones next.

If the light doesn't make it obvious, entry for this one is in the garage.

58 minutes ago, Deverezieaux said:

Thanks very much @stallionsden, that explanation was simple enough! I believe I've set facing properly and included the necessary files in the zip. If anyone has an issue with the zip, let me know if I need to change anything.

Here is the first of the series: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HxTFYQ_i-QH1bm9vsTR_5utJrF-jDoM9/view?usp=sharing

I hope to make at least 4 variants of these, the second one is about half done. I'm thinking, if I have the time, I'll move on to brownstones next.

If the light doesn't make it obvious, entry for this one is in the garage.

Nice looking forward to seeing them..

Feel free to join the compo pack discord to if you like - 

https://discord.gg/WqxGmVeU

The first variant of the duplex house build is done and tested to work with Fetch and Clear quests. Please let me know if you find any hiccups or problems with the build.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AXFnqhTuuWBzkrhr38vJo2vtqkrwpo36/view?usp=sharing

I hope everyone likes it, I had fun making it. Have an idea for variant 3 I'm going to start today. Even though the basic house layout is the same, I've tried to make the dungeon flow and theme as far removed from the first one as possible.

I also have a "blank" early version of this one with no decor, volumes, furniture, "damage flavor", etc., though it is painted. If anyone wants to use it as a base to make their own variant I can upload it here.

1 hour ago, Deverezieaux said:

The first variant of the duplex house build is done and tested to work with Fetch and Clear quests. Please let me know if you find any hiccups or problems with the build.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AXFnqhTuuWBzkrhr38vJo2vtqkrwpo36/view?usp=sharing

I hope everyone likes it, I had fun making it. Have an idea for variant 3 I'm going to start today. Even though the basic house layout is the same, I've tried to make the dungeon flow and theme as far removed from the first one as possible.

I also have a "blank" early version of this one with no decor, volumes, furniture, "damage flavor", etc., though it is painted. If anyone wants to use it as a base to make their own variant I can upload it here.

very nice have had a look at your first one. 

Is it ok to add to the CP. 

Here is the third variant in the series: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xArvI53dhiEXG21QJWqLjvgm6sSxWYe4/view?usp=sharing

I may do one more in this series. This one has been tested to work with fetch and clear like the others. The truck in front where it may not reset exactly the same way after a quest if you blow it up since it's on uneven terrain, not a big issue. Here are some pics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived