Is it possible to change how item mods attach?

Italexis

I'm talking about mods in the game that are used for augmenting an item's function, e.g., a scope for a rifle.

As someone who knows absolute zilch about mod programming, I was thinking of the possibility of using an armor pocket mod on my bicycle for more storage. Also the stamina use-reduction handle(ergonomic grip thingy?) mod for tools & weapons, since sprinting on the bike costs. I suppose the pocket mod could work on any vehicle for a couple more slots, if the thing is feasible in the first place.

Vehicle mods are possible. I'm pretty sure the bicycle stamina mod would be doable. But I'm not sure you could easily have a mod to expand vehicle storage, unless you make it like the player backpack and limit slots initially, that the mod will then unlock when installed. Reason being the loot and window info is set in xml, and afaik isn't able to be made dynamic. So you would need to maybe make all vehicles have bigger inventories, then find a way to limit them. I'm not sure if that is possible or not.

Another idea, which isn’t exactly what you are asking for, but might be workable if the ideas above from @bdubyah cannot be done (or do not appear in a20, etc) is to make a clone of the bicycle (call it “tier 2 bicycle” or something) and make the storage larger for that new bicycle. Then, make a recipe to craft that bicycle that requires : a regular vanilla bicycle, a 3 pocket storage mod (or 2, or 3, etc. to add up to all the storage you added), and maybe some iron/plastic or something for kicks.

yeah, it’s a cheesy workaround and not elegant at all, but for now it’s the only way I can see to do it that’s probably easier than trying to hack the vanilla vehicles if there are issues doing it (or if it cannot be done), and if TFP changes the vanilla stuff and mods still cannot be done (or they break your mod permanently), this method still works. 

you can repeat this process to make the bike faster (or change any property) by requiring you to have crafter a “tier 2 bicycle” as a recipe ingredient, etc. the only added “ugh” factor to adding to it is you lock in the upgrade path (first buck has to be storage upgrade, second is speed, etc) unless you make a lot of bike types, which is a lot of work to  maintain.

a small side benefit? Is that since each bike is it’s own separate vehicle you might be able to make each bike sound and look different (like add a storage basket, change the horn or pedaling sounds, etc) using UMA. Of course, I thought UMA is getting an overhaul with the characters but maybe it will still work the same on vehicles?

Archived