Smitty's Sirens & Alarms

smitty

This mod is made entirely by doughphunghus, I only made the request, gave licensed sounds and tested. Dough made the entire thing.

Smitty's Sirens & Alarms

This adds 19 additional sirens, alarms and alerts. When used with timed relays, motion sensors or pressure plates - the possibilities are invaluable.

For Darkness Falls users, you can set a timed relay with a specific siren to alert you when night is 2 hours away.

You can have a siren for security breaches vs an alert for when a horde is passing by.

Requires Speaker Schematic & Advanced Engineering.

All special speakers require a Speaker + Electrical Components.

LIST

• Speaker - Ship Siren
  • Warning Alarm 1
  • Warning Alarm 2
  • Warning Alarm 3
  • Warning Alarm 4
  • Warning Alarm 5
  • Security Breach Voice
  • Sci Fi 1
  • Red Alert
  • Security Breach
  • Intruder Voice
  • Emergency Voice and Alarm
  • Emergency Voice
  • All Hands On Deck Voice
  • Alarm Siren 1
  • Alarm Siren 2
  • Alarm Fire
  • Sci Fi 2
  • Sci Fi 3

Test and working in current build A19.2

Smitty-SirensAndAlerts.zip

• 1 month later...

I might be able to help you out with this. The hard part in adding sounds to something like the siren (something that already can handle sounds) is.... having the sounds :).

I may be able to get a text -> speech translator working and then dump those to sound files.  This would likely make it sound “proper, like a recording”.  This would make the sound files royalty/copyright free.

im not promising anything, but, should I get this to work, What are the specific phrases you would want it to say?

also: smittys sirens are all licensed to smitty.  If I made the additional sirens for you I would likely hand the mod to you to either just play it in your own games or,  should you choose, post it for distribution for others.  Adding sounds to the game isn’t too hard, so I would encourage you to look into it and try it yourself if you’re the kind of person who likes to code/build/tinker with stuff. The hardest part is getting The proper version of Unity installed, and getting xyths tutorial project loaded.  The second hardest part is taking an existing mod (like smittys) and learning how to substitute your sounds into it/create your own items/blocks via XML. 

2 hours ago, DCPoker said:

Can you add your own custom sounds? Ie enemy to north south east west etc?

Would like add trip wire or motion sensors know where need respond to at base.

Looking for Directions of Compass, Put a North facing camera, and attach sound to it, so when you are inside your base you can go to that side of the base for zombies.

Enemy to North

Enemy to South

Enemy to East

Enemy to West

Enemy to NorthEast

Enemy to NorthWest

Enemy to SouthEast

Enemy to SouthWest

Wall Breach

Front Door Breach

Back Door Breach

Enemy on Surface (Used while Mining)

I just looked at files, looks like the sound files are embodied in UNITY3d file, not sure how to redo them. Looking at UNITY3D now.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, renejant said:

is it possible to adjust the volume of the sounds by editing a specific line of code in the xml file? Because some sounds are incredingly loud! 

I don't think there is that I can see.  I just packaged up the original sounds for this mod, without modification of them.  In sounds.xml there are some references to a "distantfadestart" and "distantfadeend" settings in the docs at the top of the file, but they are not used in any of the existing vanilla sounds nodes, but maybe these can be adjusted in the XML so it's only full volume if you're really close to the speaker block?

On 12/22/2020 at 4:03 PM, DCPoker said:

Looking for Directions of Compass, Put a North facing camera, and attach sound to it, so when you are inside your base you can go to that side of the base for zombies.

Enemy to North

Enemy to South

Enemy to East

Enemy to West

Enemy to NorthEast

Enemy to NorthWest

Enemy to SouthEast

Enemy to SouthWest

Wall Breach

Front Door Breach

Back Door Breach

I just looked at files, looks like the sound files are embodied in UNITY3d file, not sure how to redo them. Looking at UNITY3D now.

The "easiest" way to get this would be to generate/get your own sounds (.wav works well)  then use this mod as a template for how to make your own speakers/speaker mod.  You still have to package up the sounds files as unity.3d files though.  If you would like some help on this let me know.

13 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

I don't think there is that I can see.  I just packaged up the original sounds for this mod, without modification of them.  In sounds.xml there are some references to a "distantfadestart" and "distantfadeend" settings in the docs at the top of the file, but they are not used in any of the existing vanilla sounds nodes, but maybe these can be adjusted in the XML so it's only full volume if you're really close to the speaker block?

The "easiest" way to get this would be to generate/get your own sounds (.wav works well)  then use this mod as a template for how to make your own speakers/speaker mod.  You still have to package up the sounds files as unity.3d files though.  If you would like some help on this let me know.

I am just referring to the overal sound volume of the speakers... In general, i find them too loud when it goes off!. I have been looking at the code in the xml file, but what i see is this code, I have marked in red what i think needs to be adjusted to the sound level... :

<append xpath="/Sounds">

<!-- Speaker 1 -->
    <SoundDataNode name="smitty_siren1">
      <AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_VO_Announce"/>
        <AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/smittylv_envato_sounds.unity3d?ship_siren" Loop="true"/>
        <LocalCrouchVolumeScale name="1.0"/>
      <CrouchNoiseScale name="0.5"/>
      <NoiseScale name="1"/>     <!-- i think this one needs to be lowered -->
      <MaxVoices value="10"/>
      <MaxRepeatRate value="0"/>
    </SoundDataNode>

If you guys can tell me if i need to adjust this then i know what has to be done... Otherwise i want to know which line has to be adjusted accordingly...

45 minutes ago, renejant said:

I am just referring to the overal sound volume of the speakers... In general, i find them too loud when it goes off!. I have been looking at the code in the xml file, but what i see is this code, I have marked in red what i think needs to be adjusted to the sound level... :

<append xpath="/Sounds">

<!-- Speaker 1 -->
    <SoundDataNode name="smitty_siren1">
        <AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/smittylv_envato_sounds.unity3d?ship_siren" Loop="true"/>
      <NoiseScale name="1"/>     <!-- i think this one needs to be lowered -->
      <MaxVoices value="10"/>
    </SoundDataNode>

If you guys can tell me if i need to adjust this then i know what has to be done... Otherwise i want to know which line has to be adjusted accordingly...

In sounds.xml, at the top, there is some comments/ documentation.  I don't think NoiseScale will do it (but the documentation could be outdated/wrong) The NoiseScale is documented as:

<NoiseScale name="0-1"/> - changes the amount of noise this sound makes in general for AI

Which I read as "this is what the zombies "hear" and thus are drawn to.

Update: I tried adding these tags and could not get the sounds to get less loud.  The hope was to make it "as loud as it normally is" only a block from the speaker, and fade it out from there.  Using the "Ship Siren" (smitty_siren1) as the test as its really loud in general.

<distantfadestart name="0"/>

<distantfadeend name="0"/>

replacing "0" with different values didn't seem to make any changes, but at some point/combination the speaker stopped working,so not sure what's up with these particular tags.

Also: I changed <NoiseScale name="1"/> to <NoiseScale name=".1"/> and heard no difference in noise level output/volume/range

Not that I’m aware of, for like “overall sounds of a specific block or sound node”.  Of course, there are some audio settings from the main menu that can be changed (music/ambiance volumes) but I don’t know setting what a speaker/block falls under.

@smitty I  consider these sounds and the mod “owned by smitty” so if they want to change it (have me tweak the sound levels and repackage the sounds ) I could do that if they asked me to but maybe this is exactly how smitty wants their mod?

I can put together a different mod with some sounds for you if you would like, the hard part is getting the sounds that are “freely available to use”. (send me some links and I’ll see if I can use them.).  It might sound weird using this limitation, but I feel weird just taking clips from others and giving them to someone else (or the forums) unless they are licensed freely. If you want, I can point you to some links on how to add your own sounds to the game and you can create/add whatever sounds you want as your own mod.  It’s not super hard but it takes some time to get unity set up/installed and do the actual xml editing. Sound converting is actually easy once you’re set up to do it.

also:  I do have the capability to create “voice alerts” that can say whatever you want (I’m using the very ancient “espeak” tool right now) but the voices are not super pretty (sounds robotic).  I’m working on this for a mech mod I’ve released, which is still in development, and the volume levels need tweaking as well.  Additionally, I might be able to create something using some tools I have to mimic a sound/alarm if you have one in mind. Basic stuff though.

15 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

Not that I’m aware of, for like “overall sounds of a specific block or sound node”.  Of course, there are some audio settings from the main menu that can be changed (music/ambiance volumes) but I don’t know setting what a speaker/block falls under.

@smitty I  consider these sounds and the mod “owned by smitty” so if they want to change it (have me tweak the sound levels and repackage the sounds ) I could do that if they asked me to but maybe this is exactly how smitty wants their mod?

I can put together a different mod with some sounds for you if you would like, the hard part is getting the sounds that are “freely available to use”. (send me some links and I’ll see if I can use them.).  It might sound weird using this limitation, but I feel weird just taking clips from others and giving them to someone else (or the forums) unless they are licensed freely. If you want, I can point you to some links on how to add your own sounds to the game and you can create/add whatever sounds you want as your own mod.  It’s not super hard but it takes some time to get unity set up/installed and do the actual xml editing. Sound converting is actually easy once you’re set up to do it.

also:  I do have the capability to create “voice alerts” that can say whatever you want (I’m using the very ancient “espeak” tool right now) but the voices are not super pretty (sounds robotic).  I’m working on this for a mech mod I’ve released, which is still in development, and the volume levels need tweaking as well.  Additionally, I might be able to create something using some tools I have to mimic a sound/alarm if you have one in mind. Basic stuff though.

That sounds cool! Maybe you can make it so, that you adjust the sound levels in the xml if someone wants to.... Cause one "fixed" sound level is pretty annoying... Currently in "smitty's mod" one speaker is too loud and the other too low or annoying to hear... It is a good mod, but it could use some more work imho...

I got  some sounds in mind that i would like to see incorporated as a speaker... 

example: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWXLPu8Ky9k    modern alarm 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_9KR3mYkUo&list=PL9Z_KwF-qaztJlEdtO1Kiw-6UKVZbk75I   Claxon Alarm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmrXN6q0eu4     SGC Base Alert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIwJFYDuC-s    Stargate Atlantis Offworld alarm

Im also looking for one that says "Intruder Alert" but can't find any of the moment...

And maybe, i dunno if this is possible, to make a rotating warning beacon in red (or with other colors) that you can connect to your speaker, so that the base turns red when the alarm goes off...

That would be a cool feature!

On 3/2/2021 at 2:30 AM, renejant said:

That sounds cool! Maybe you can make it so, that you adjust the sound levels in the xml if someone wants to.... Cause one "fixed" sound level is pretty annoying... Currently in "smitty's mod" one speaker is too loud and the other too low or annoying to hear... It is a good mod, but it could use some more work imho...

I got  some sounds in mind that i would like to see incorporated as a speaker... 

example: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWXLPu8Ky9k    modern alarm 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_9KR3mYkUo&list=PL9Z_KwF-qaztJlEdtO1Kiw-6UKVZbk75I   Claxon Alarm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmrXN6q0eu4     SGC Base Alert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIwJFYDuC-s    Stargate Atlantis Offworld alarm

Im also looking for one that says "Intruder Alert" but can't find any of the moment...

And maybe, i dunno if this is possible, to make a rotating warning beacon in red (or with other colors) that you can connect to your speaker, so that the base turns red when the alarm goes off...

That would be a cool feature!

I won't be able to make an adjustable sound version because its either not possible, or it goes way beyond what I'm able to mod :(

I'll see what I can do about the sounds. I'll try to find "free common license" equivalents if I can.  I can make an "Intruder Alert" just to see how it turns out.

For the light, its also not something I can do.  The best thing I can come up with is to try to find a blinking light mod ( if any exist, I know you can make the lights blink in the game in POI/dev mode so its a built in option somewhere) and then tie that to the speaker so when the speaker goes off the light starts blinking.

I have some other sounds I'm going to try to make this weekend and package up so I'll see if I can figure out the "nice" sound level and post it so others can use it as a guide.  Part of the hard part of sounds is tweaking sound levels, etc, as sounds seem to "sound different" when they're in game vs when you just play them on your PC.  I don;t know why.

15 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

I won't be able to make an adjustable sound version because its either not possible, or it goes way beyond what I'm able to mod :(

I'll see what I can do about the sounds. I'll try to find "free common license" equivalents if I can.  I can make an "Intruder Alert" just to see how it turns out.

For the light, its also not something I can do.  The best thing I can come up with is to try to find a blinking light mod ( if any exist, I know you can make the lights blink in the game in POI/dev mode so its a built in option somewhere) and then tie that to the speaker so when the speaker goes off the light starts blinking.

I have some other sounds I'm going to try to make this weekend and package up so I'll see if I can figure out the "nice" sound level and post it so others can use it as a guide.  Part of the hard part of sounds is tweaking sound levels, etc, as sounds seem to "sound different" when they're in game vs when you just play them on your PC.  I don;t know why.

I see what u mean... Is it also possible for you that you can make smaller versions of the speaker? or different kind of speakers? because the one in "smitty's mod" it is pretty big imho... I prefer some smaller one so that you can place away in some corner or that you can hide somewhere... Dunno if that is too much work? If you can't do it, no problem...

I believe that any model that's labeled as "electrical" can be swapped out with the in-game siren (in theory it would be any model...so you could use a rock as a speaker, but it doesn't seem to work that way and I'm not sure why). I'll see what I can come up with.  I'm thinking of making this a "tutorial" for the forums on how to make sounds for the game from start -> finish so anyone can do it, or you could add/modify the mod (once I'm done) if you wanted to to add more/change the existing sounds/etc.  Hopefully I'll be done with the mod soon and I'll put out the tutorial next

18 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

I believe that any model that's labeled as "electrical" can be swapped out with the in-game siren (in theory it would be any model...so you could use a rock as a speaker, but it doesn't seem to work that way and I'm not sure why). I'll see what I can come up with.  I'm thinking of making this a "tutorial" for the forums on how to make sounds for the game from start -> finish so anyone can do it, or you could add/modify the mod (once I'm done) if you wanted to to add more/change the existing sounds/etc.  Hopefully I'll be done with the mod soon and I'll put out the tutorial next

Thanks we'll see what you can come up with

On 12/22/2020 at 4:03 PM, DCPoker said:

Enemy to North

Enemy to South

Enemy to East

Enemy to West

Enemy to NorthEast

Enemy to NorthWest

Enemy to SouthEast

Enemy to SouthWest

Wall Breach

Front Door Breach

Back Door Breach

@DCPoker: Are you still looking for these voice lines as speakers?  Your post gave me an idea. I have a way of generating "robotic like" speech (its not super clean/human like, but I can script it so its fast) and could probably throw something together. I was thinking of doing a mod for myself for something where 1 speaker can say "Enemy" and then have another say the directions, and then others for other things,and you then can daisy chain them together (sort of...put them all in the same circuit) to say a lot of different things. 

Anyway, I might be able to put these into one just for you if you're interested, or you could use mine when I get around to making it :)

If you've figured out how to get sounds into unity.3d files, I can just generate the .wav sound files

9 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

@DCPoker: Are you still looking for these voice lines as speakers?  Your post gave me an idea. I have a way of generating "robotic like" speech (its not super clean/human like, but I can script it so its fast) and could probably throw something together. I was thinking of doing a mod for myself for something where 1 speaker can say "Enemy" and then have another say the directions, and then others for other things,and you then can daisy chain them together (sort of...put them all in the same circuit) to say a lot of different things. 

Anyway, I might be able to put these into one just for you if you're interested, or you could use mine when I get around to making it :)

If you've figured out how to get sounds into unity.3d files, I can just generate the .wav sound files

If this is something you're interested in doing, I can have the lines recorded. A British female speaking monotone would likely be the best candidate for this as is typical in movies.

I’m personally interested in it :) I have some/all of the sentence structure worked out, but haven’t actually done any work for sounds.  I’ll have to manually do a lot of “padding” to make it work well.  And trying to make the localization make sense is going to be weird...

If nothing else, I could throw in some extra phrases and get this request and the mod I was thinking about out in the same mod. 

so yeah, if you can generate a nice voice .wav files from text (my method is very janky and old, but “free”) and want to send them to me, let me know and I’ll message you the words/phrases!  If it’s someone “literally speaking and recording it” and not some text to voice conversion, I can write out all the phrases instead. 

Hi,,

This mod does not work for me for some reason. It's installed properly along with my other mods, and they work fine. And the items from this mod do show up in-game, but when I try to craft them, it says I must have the Speaker Schematic (which I have), 1 speaker to craft (which I do), and the Advanced Engineer Perk - which I also have. But the sirens still remain locked; when I try to craft and can press the Up arrow to craft (I use my controller so not sure what the PC button is), it just says "Perk" and opens up the Advanced Engineer perk when pressed. 

Am I being stupid and missed something vital? 😅

4 minutes ago, Camiracundus said:

Hi,,

This mod does not work for me for some reason. It's installed properly along with my other mods, and they work fine. And the items from this mod do show up in-game, but when I try to craft them, it says I must have the Speaker Schematic (which I have), 1 speaker to craft (which I do), and the Advanced Engineer Perk - which I also have. But the sirens still remain locked; when I try to craft and can press the Up arrow to craft (I use my controller so not sure what the PC button is), it just says "Perk" and opens up the Advanced Engineer perk when pressed. 

Am I being stupid and missed something vital? 😅

- What version of the game are you running?

- Can you provide a list of mods you have installed?

I’ll try to test this weekend on whatever version you’re running.  Getting the schematic or the perk should unlock them.  I believe I tested that when the mod was made.

also: I didn’t test using a controller, but I believe there’s a thing where if an item is still locked, and you click /choose options for it it will take you to the required perk. So maybe that’s what’s happening, as they are still locked.

1 hour ago, doughphunghus said:

- What version of the game are you running?

- Can you provide a list of mods you have installed?

I’ll try to test this weekend on whatever version you’re running.  Getting the schematic or the perk should unlock them.  I believe I tested that when the mod was made.

also: I didn’t test using a controller, but I believe there’s a thing where if an item is still locked, and you click /choose options for it it will take you to the required perk. So maybe that’s what’s happening, as they are still locked.

Hi, thanks for the fast response :)

I'm running Alpha 19.4, the newest version; I have the following 10 mods; Duriel's Lethal Headshots, Jakmeister999's REASONABLE Large Stacks (A19), JRB_ZombieLootDrop_25, More Skill Points, PhD Better Lights 3.3 (A19), PhD Bigger Crafting Queue x 10 1.3 (A19), Smitty-SirensAndAlerts, WorkingWoodBurningStove, ZT-FunctionalElevator and ZT_IBBI (Unnecessarily Beautiful But Immersive)

I believe I have found a fix for this mod to get it to work in a19.4 stable.  There was also an existing bug I found, possibly 2 (if changes were made in 19.4 that broke it).

I cannot upload the fixed files here (the forum blocking xml uploads) so for now, here's what you have to do to fix it. You should be able to make these changes in an existing game and it "just works" as we're not creating or removing any new resources/blocks/items/etc.

NOTE: You have to have Perk Engineering up to level 3 (in the fixed version) for the perk to unlock them as that's when the normal vanilla speaker unlocks.

NOTE: I could not replicate the "schematic not unlocking them" issue.  Using the schematic in the old version (and the new) should unlock them all without the perk.

NOTE: I will leave it up to Smitty to update and relink a "a19.4 stable" version, or patch and test however they see fit, or not update, etc.

Bug 1: "Speaker - Alarm Siren 2" is not working.

Change the SoundDataNode block for everything for speaker 16 in sounds.xml to the XML below

The actual change is just changing a single underscore to a space for the AudioClip (the wrong sound was named "alarm_siren_2"), but this is easier to document as the entire XML block

<!-- Speaker 16 -->
    <SoundDataNode name="smitty_siren16">
      <AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/smittylv_envato_sounds.unity3d?alarm_siren 2" Loop="true"/>
      <NoiseScale name="1"/>
      <MaxVoices value="10"/>
    </SoundDataNode>

Bug 2: Perk AdvancedEngineering not working to unlock the speakers

I don't know why (maybe it didn't work before?) but this gets it to work in a19.4 stable:

1. Create a new file in the mod under the Config folder and call it: progression.xml (note: On windows, you might need to have visible file name extensions "on" or you might end up creating progression.xml.txt instead)

2. Add this XML to the file

<Smitty>
  <append xpath="/progression/perks/perk[@name='perkAdvancedEngineering']/effect_group"> 
      <passive_effect name="RecipeTagUnlocked" operation="base_set" level="3,5" value="1" tags="smittySpeaker1,smittySpeaker2,smittySpeaker3,smittySpeaker4,smittySpeaker5,smittySpeaker6,smittySpeaker7,smittySpeaker8,smittySpeaker9,smittySpeaker10,smittySpeaker11,smittySpeaker12,smittySpeaker13,smittySpeaker14,smittySpeaker15,smittySpeaker16,smittySpeaker17,smittySpeaker18,smittySpeaker19"/>
  </append>
</Smitty>

Also:

If you want to be super pedantic/accurate, you would also change the Version line in ModInfo.xml from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 or something different from the original.  Using 2.0.0 might also be accurate if it doesn't work in the original version of the game it was built on. I'm not sure, just 1.0.1 indicates its not the original

<Version value="1.0.1" />

Archived