Skyscraper Fix

Haidrgna

I am sure people still playing RWG have noticed by now that Skyscrapers are rare in RWG and you may see only one on an entire 8k map if you are lucky. This is mostly because of improper zoning in their XML files. They are set to only spawn in Downtown, a small area in the center of the city that they may not fit in or be competed by other smaller easier to place buildings. 

This simple modlet adds each skyscraper back in through the new Prefabs folder functionality of A19 with only a small alteration to their XML files to also allow Industrial and Commercial zoning for them. This results in them being placed in more of the cities on the map and as you can see in the screenshot below also in a 4k map there are multiple visible in the preview. 

A19.0_2020-07-18_13-49-05.thumb.jpg.98b54ed558a6610e119d5989b47b6239.jpg

This modlet adds no additional code and is free to use for everyone. If you want to add this to your Overhaul or Modpack, please make sure to add credits for it, thanks :)

Download

I generated about twenty 8K worlds with this, and none had installation_red_mesa, which is industrial zoned. I'm a complete noob, but I tried editing the skyscraper xmls for the mod to remove industrial zoning from them. That seemed to result in reverting back to having at best two skyscrapers per map, and still no Red Mesa (though I only fried a few maps like this.) Too bad, as I wanted more skyscrapers, but also Red Mesa because I've never played through it.

At any rate, I was getting a dozen or more skyscrapers per map with the mod as is, so this will definitely get you the big buildings.

40 minutes ago, krave said:

I generated about twenty 8K worlds with this, and none had installation_red_mesa, which is industrial zoned. I'm a complete noob, but I tried editing the skyscraper xmls for the mod to remove industrial zoning from them. That seemed to result in reverting back to having at best two skyscrapers per map, and still no Red Mesa (though I only fried a few maps like this.) Too bad, as I wanted more skyscrapers, but also Red Mesa because I've never played through it.

At any rate, I was getting a dozen or more skyscrapers per map with the mod as is, so this will definitely get you the big buildings.

I will take a look, as I think Red Mesa was spawning normally before to make it appear more. Might need a mixer modlet for it. Maybe I will tinker with that and offer a more advanced version that can put a certain minimum amount of these coveted buildings on the map.

1 hour ago, dragonslayer770 said:

what folder do i put this in the prefab or the mods folder.

Just extract it to the game folder and it will deploy a mod folder (or insert itself if one already exists). It is a modlet running from the mod folder.

You could also deploy the prefabs directly to the vanilla prefabs and overwrite, but that is so A18 :D

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/4/2020 at 4:49 PM, javamonkxtr said:

This works great, question though.  Once it generates the skyscrapers, does it need to stay in the MODs folder or is it just needed for the 1st time startup?

Once a world is generated you do not really need the modlet anymore after that. It comes with copies of the POI, but only for their XML which contain placement rules. Once a map is finished it can run the prefabs from the game folder as well since they are the same. You can share these maps with other users as well.

(Sorry for the late response, I never got a notification for this).

Archived