What is wrong with ADS + scopes?

Nugetti

As per title.

Aiming (down sights) has a weird grid snap built in, especially noticeable with the 8x scope. The slightest mouse movement results in a really noticeable "jump" of the crosshair.

It's really hard to hit distant targets due to this, basically it feels like you "zoom into the resolution" and the mouse is tied to the pixel grid instead of being a smooth transition across the screen. Trying to kill zombies here instead of using a CAD tool. 😉

I remember seeing a video that demonstrated this probably a couple of alphas back, but couldn't find it anymore.

Any workarounds or technical views on this? @faatal

On 7/16/2020 at 7:54 AM, Nugetti said:

As per title.

Aiming (down sights) has a weird grid snap built in, especially noticeable with the 8x scope. The slightest mouse movement results in a really noticeable "jump" of the crosshair.

It's really hard to hit distant targets due to this, basically it feels like you "zoom into the resolution" and the mouse is tied to the pixel grid instead of being a smooth transition across the screen. Trying to kill zombies here instead of using a CAD tool. 😉

I remember seeing a video that demonstrated this probably a couple of alphas back, but couldn't find it anymore.

Any workarounds or technical views on this? @faatal

I have not noticed that. I don't think it is doing anything fancy. Mostly changing the FOV I think.

6 hours ago, faatal said:

I have not noticed that. I don't think it is doing anything fancy. Mostly changing the FOV I think.

I noticed that back in A18.4 and also in A19 B153. At the time I attributed it to my mouse's extremely high DPI, but now I suppose it wasn't just my mouse

Here's the video. @faatal
Hunting rifle with 8x scope installed.

Let's put it this way:

Hip aiming has 100 % resolution. Minimum mouse movement is 1 pixel.
However, when you zoom in aka ADS, the minimum mouse movement stays fixed to whatever was 1 pixel on screen when you don't zoom in. So it is multiple pixels with the 8x scope, resulting in a "grid snap" or "jerk" when trying to do a minimum movement with the mouse.

Archived