99-104% GPU 13-30 frames RTX2080super

Zeizenn

Hello, i am on version 18.4, and the game ran fine for me up until yesterday when my frames dropped from 80+ to 13-30 and never shot back up. Im running A RTX 2080 super,i9900k,16gb ram. i have no idea why this is happening, and old threads are closed. 

If you have nothing bottle-necking your GPU, and the FPS is not capped, you are going to see 99-100% GPU usage. That is desirable, and the device is designed to run that way.

That said, those frame-rates are pretty pathetic for your stated hardware. In a18, you should be able to achieve a mostly stable 144FPS with occasional dips of 20-30FPS loss at most. My initial thought is that your do not have the RAM configured for the correct XMP profile, that you have a chipset driver issue, or that your power profile is limiting your CPU performance.

There is a known issue with Intel CPU's on Windows 10 where Microshaft pushed a chipset driver update that will tank performance if you're doing any kind of overclocking. In testing this driver also limited non-OC'ed systems to extremely pathetic speeds. (A 3.6GHz CPU was capped at 800MHz.)

More information on your settings and setup would be needed to analyze this further though. Please read the Sticky thread, and follow the instructions for providing logs and a link to a published Speccy report.

i run trident Z 3600's for my ram, i do not do any type of overclocking or memory profile swapping or anything fancy, why i paid thru the nose for my setup lol. i will double check the ram frequency and see. im on a 2560x1440 144hz monitor also and my graphics in game are on defauly "high" since the issue has occurred. dont see how this game uses 100% of a msi2080 super and RedDead2 doesnt, and looks like real life with frames. 

Are you running the game at 1080p like you should be? (Last I checked, this game does not do well with higher resolutions)

How much free space do you have for the drive the game is installed on?

How long has it been since you verified to have proper nvidia drivers? Because Windows 10 is known for replacing those drivers with their own garbage Microsoft drivers.

output.log file? any errors?

Any bloatware running in the background? Anti-virus getting in the way, etc...

im back at 90fps average after mobo driver update and GPU update still at 100% gpu usage but solid frames again,

@Fox no antivirus or bloatware, relatively new rig also. i am playing on 2560x1440, i dint kbnow it was a 1080 game TBH lol 

49 minutes ago, Zeizenn said:

im back at 90fps average after mobo driver update and GPU update still at 100% gpu usage but solid frames again,

@Fox no antivirus or bloatware, relatively new rig also. i am playing on 2560x1440, i dint kbnow it was a 1080 game TBH lol 

Well, it's not supposed to be a 1080p game, but apparently lately a lot of players (with impressive hardware) have been getting terrible performance with anything higher than that. But if the game runs good enough for you at 1440p, then by all means, go for it. Maybe they've made improvements with the latest update too.

21 hours ago, Fox said:

Well, it's not supposed to be a 1080p game, but apparently lately a lot of players (with impressive hardware) have been getting terrible performance with anything higher than that. But if the game runs good enough for you at 1440p, then by all means, go for it. Maybe they've made improvements with the latest update too.

This isn't directed at Fox, but I keep seeing a lot of comments on the forums lately (sometimes downright toxic comments) criticizing builds that frankly shouldn't be having the issues they're having. We can't rule out issues with the game, especially considering it's in Alpha. In fact, I think it's irresponsible to just assume the user's hardware is always to blame rather than asking more questions about the conditions in which they are occurring and see if there's a way to improve the experience for those users under those conditions.

That said, maybe it's the hardware, maybe it's the software, and maybe it's both. We aren't doing anyone any favors if we only focus on one.

3 hours ago, SgtThompson said:

This isn't directed at Fox, but I keep seeing a lot of comments on the forums lately (sometimes downright toxic comments) criticizing builds that frankly shouldn't be having the issues they're having. We can't rule out issues with the game, especially considering it's in Alpha. In fact, I think it's irresponsible to just assume the user's hardware is always to blame rather than asking more questions about the conditions in which they are occurring and see if there's a way to improve the experience for those users under those conditions.

That said, maybe it's the hardware, maybe it's the software, and maybe it's both. We aren't doing anyone any favors if we only focus on one.

The game is consistently able to work well for most players, and because of that, most of the time, it is in fact the player's own hardware or software creating problems with the game. So yes, we make that assumption based on several years of experience with this game alone. You have to keep in mind that some of us have been around since the very beginning. We know what the usual problems are and how to fix them. There are of course curve balls that occasionally happen which make it a challenge, but unless we can rule out the possibility that the player didn't do something wrong at their end, we can't know for sure, hence the process of elimination.

I myself have been playing the game since Alpha 1, and the only issues I've ever seen that was the game's fault was a vertices glitch (which they worked around the issue by lowering the skybox), and frame time stuttering which they seem to have made some progress on over the years (either that or I'm finally getting used to it). I've never had a crash or low fps or graphical glitches (aside from the above mentioned) or anything of that sort in any of the versions of this game. Coincidence? I think not. Especially since I'm not alone with that experience.

@SgtThompson To add to what Fox said, I'm going to base your hardware in my recommendation on known facts. I'm comparing 10 years worth of Intel chipsets with known performance that I have personally tested in a variety of configurations to state the information I do. I even have a lot of hardware here, to were I can just toss together a system for testing with similar specs. (Excluding the high-end GPUs and 4k, because I have a budget, and it's not all that large.) I will test resolutions from 800x600 all the way up to 5760x1080. What I'm not able to test, I can extrapolate based on known benchmarking data for the hardware listed, and compare it to my known configurations.

Take this thread for example.

OP's CPU will work great in a server environment. However for performance in gaming, it falls horribly short. They also made other poor choices in their hardware configuration that while it may work fine for playing and streaming regular games, it falls way short of acceptable for a game as intense as this one. (and honestly the build looks like it was made more to look flashy, than for actual use.)

This real issue is that quite often people don't understand how demanding this game is, and assume it should run just fine on their aging hardware. Just because they can run GTA-V at 144FPS doesn't mean jack squat in comparison. Another issue that is often overlooked is system bloat, and other software interfering with the game client's performance. Half the time, we barely even get actual specs to reference their issue. Like the OP of this thread that only gave the most bare amount of information possible in the first thread. Then later discover that he's running a resolution double of what the game is designed for.  This is a Voxel game, and as you increase the resolution, you're not just increasing demand from your GPU. You're also increasing demand from the CPU and RAM.

And back on-topic, the OP's system here is quite capable. My current system runs a wee bit faster than theirs clocks at, with the exception of my GPU. I've got a 1060, and they've got a 2080. So if I can get a stable 60FPS with near-ultimate settings, there is zero reason they shouldn't be able to do the same. Assuming their system is properly optimized.

As a result, I focused on the most probable issues based on the things I have seen very commonly occurring in systems. This is built from assisting people here since 2004, and developing/supporting PC's and consoles for over 35 years.

Archived