GS on multiplayer server: player level vs day vs ...

Tahaan

My understanding is that in A18 the GS depends on not only your level, but on the levels of other players "nearby".

So that means if a level 1 player joins a day 300 sever where many players have a high GS, if you go sit on the far side of the map you should still have a low GS horde, but if you try to join the high level players in their base you are going to face the high level zeds.

Does this change in Alpha 19?

Is it still true that a group of low GS players with enough distance between themselves and another group at high GS will have each group be faced with an approriate horde for their respective group size and combined local GS?

Or is the horde "difficulty" a single value across the entire map?

4 hours ago, Tahaan said:

My understanding is that in A18 the GS depends on not only your level, but on the levels of other players "nearby".

So that means if a level 1 player joins a day 300 sever where many players have a high GS, if you go sit on the far side of the map you should still have a low GS horde, but if you try to join the high level players in their base you are going to face the high level zeds.

No, no and no.

If you are not in a party, you get your own gamestage. It doesn't also matter if server day is 1, 300 or 5000. What counts is "player days alive", so if you first join a server which is on day 347 you still have only "one day alive" + level 1 = gamestage 1.

And it is already in A18 as you said: If you stay on the opposite site of the map alone, you will only get a gamestage 1 bloodmoon even if other players far away fight a gamestage 5000 bloodmoon.

If you stay near other people (still without party) you will of course see and have to fight the same enemies + that one that according to your gamestage are spawned. How should it be different? High-Level zombies spawn but ignore the new player completely?

If you are in a party the gamestage of the 5 "best" players adds up with the formula (player1-gamestage + player2-gamestage * 0.8 + player3-gamestage * 0.6, player4-gamestage * 0.4 + player5-gamestage * 0.2).

So if there are 2 players, one gamestage 500 and one 100:

1) Not in party far away from each other player 1 gets a gamestage 500 bloodmoon and player 2 gets a gamestage 100 bloodmoon

2) Not in party but nearby, player 1 triggers gamestage 500 spawns and player 2 triggers gamestage 100 spawns, but because you are nearby, each spawns may attack both players

3) In a party and nearby, both of you will get only spawns of gamestage 580 (500 + 100 * 0.8)

4) In a party but far away, not quite sure about that but i assume, both getting half the spawns of gamestage 580 (so in this case player 2 may be doomed)

Still note: gamestage 500 spawns plus gamestage 100 spawns is still far less than one gamestage 600 spawn. Gamestage 500 may contain demolishers while gamestage 100 may not even bring up radiateds.

To me that sounds like Yes, not like "no, no and no".  

I did not mention party but my assumption is when I join a server I'm not in any part, but as you confirmed even if you are in a party but far away from the other players you will get your own game stage.

5 hours ago, Tahaan said:

I did not mention party but my assumption is when I join a server I'm not in any part, but as you confirmed even if you are in a party but far away from the other players you will get your own game stage.

I don't think that last part is correct (and LW's post does not say that). I don't think distance has anything to do with gamestage, only "in party" vs "not in party". If you are low-level, low-GS and not in a party, you will get low-GS spawns. If you happen to be near higher-GS players, the game does not detect that you are "close" and change things - you just happen to be standing there when those high-GS players get spawns. Best to run away or hide while they fight their spawns.

If you are in a party, then your effective GS is the formula that LW provided, regardless of where you are. Across the map from your party or right next to them. I don't think the game cares. Your party has an effective GS and spawns will be appropriate for that. If you are a low-GS member of a high-GS party, best to stay close by them so you have some fire support.

But close vs. far away only matters for which fights you want to be involved in. The game doesn't use distance as a factor for setting GS. (It is used for sharing XP in a party.)

I could be wrong about that, but I play in a party most of the time and I notice no change in spawns whether we're traveling together or 2km away from each other - we get party-GS (i.e. higher than my personal GS) spawns. I do notice a change in spawns if he logs out (my effective GS lowers to match my actual GS).

Archived