Reverse Fetch Quest

I have an idea in my head but found no description of quests.xml file anywhere save what is inside the file itself.

Say I have a quest where you need to place some items into the courier's satchel rather than retrieve them out of it. I can make objective of coming to a certain spot and probably interacting with certain block (maybe placing the chest instead of reusing the satchel?) but can I force the chest contents check AND test at what floor this happened? Like "Go to fifth floor of the hospital, place a chest around the elevator shaft (say some diamater ~10-20 metres) and place this list of items into that chest. Then return to me."

Is it possible in current system?

I can think of how the task could be pulled off, but probably not exactly the way you imagine. The quest would simply instruct you to collect a set of specific items and once you have them, you have to craft a package using all those items that you had to collect as ingredients, so that would make sure you actually collected the items in the first place. As for the rest of the task... I believe there is a possibility for the quest to give you a certain exclamation mark on the map where you need to go and activate it. By activating you could spawn something - I know it works for spawning entities, but not sure if it can spawn objects like blocks etc. but if it can spawn some object for you (I know entities can be used to spawn in blocks which would make it obviously painful, but it could work. Ask Telric for details on this part), you could make it so that you have to "upgrade" the object that looks like the treasure chest with the package that you previously crafted. Using that package with the treasure chest would then finish the quest, or instruct you to meet trader first... You would have to improvise and use imagination a lot to make this work.

I dont think the current quest system in A18 has the granularity to have the player go to a specific floor.

Also, the xml go to function is broken Currently and only works on Trader POIs.  It use to work in A16 I believe. (E.g. can send players to an army camp specifically)

There is an XML function that can be used to go to the closest POI but I think it's mainly used for dev testing purposes.  Has issues if a trader POI is the closest POI.

15 minutes ago, mr.devolver said:

I can think of how the task could be pulled off, but probably not exactly the way you imagine. The quest would simply instruct you to collect a set of specific items and once you have them, you have to craft a package using all those items that you had to collect as ingredients, so that would make sure you actually collected the items in the first place. As for the rest of the task... I believe there is a possibility for the quest to give you a certain exclamation mark on the map where you need to go and activate it. By activating you could spawn something - I know it works for spawning entities, but not sure if it can spawn objects like blocks etc. but if it can spawn some object for you (I know entities can be used to spawn in blocks which would make it obviously painful, but it could work. Ask Telric for details on this part), you could make it so that you have to "upgrade" the object that looks like the treasure chest with the package that you previously crafted. Using that package with the treasure chest would then finish the quest, or instruct you to meet trader first... You would have to improvise and use imagination a lot to make this work.

Yes, there is a goto random location that does work. 

OP, my expanded quest mod is a good example to dissect for learning.  You can snag a copy from my modlet thread in the mods subforums.

Archived