Cannot transfer character data to a new world / How do I duplicate my character data?

Malifious

Hello!

I made a 10k NitroGen world recently but want to be able to maintain my character's stats, skill points, and if possible his inventory as well. I've tried overwriting the save data for Player on the new world but it doesn't stick. It either reverts back to the previous save from when I first logged in or it creates a new character.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated! I want to be able to transfer my character over. All of these worlds are local to my computer and are NOT multiplayer. It's just me.

Thank you thank you!

• 1 month later...

Hey, thanks for responding.

I think we both are referring to single player.

Chain of events:

Copied .ttp and .ttp.bak to a different location.

Start new game, in new map.

Exit.

Paste desired .ttp and ttp.bak into new world save folder (overwriting new character).

Start game, enter newly created world.

Character is reverted back to initial creation (level 1, no skills) instead of the preferred character.

As I understood it, those were the correct steps, so I have no idea why the character reverts.

• 5 months later...

Hi all - was wondering if anyone had a fix for this yet? I think this started in a19 / a19.1. I've seen videos of successful char copies made in a18.

I didn't want to hijack the thread, but our issue is similar - we're on a dedicated server and want to start a new map and carry-over our characters and their inventory.

We did the same thing as @Pra3t0r 0f R0m3 outlined and even some other variations:

1 - copy over all (3) - "map", "ttp" and "ttp.bak" files, then login for the 1st time

2 - copy over only (2) - "ttp" and "ttp.bak" files, then login for the 1st time

3 - login for the first time, then delete/replace "ttp" and "ttp.bak" files

But to no avail, and the game keeps generating a new character every time. Also tried replacing the files while the server is down and while it's up, no difference.

Checking the logs, we get the error below:

2020-10-05T21:17:35 182.281 ERR Loading player data failed for player 'xxxxxxx', rolling back: Attempted to read past the end of the stream.

at PooledBinaryReader.FillBuffer (System.Int32 _numBytes) [0x00030] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0 
  at PooledBinaryReader.ReadSingle () [0x00000] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0 
  at ItemValue.Read (System.IO.BinaryReader _br) [0x00017] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0 

...a whole bunch of lines...

at ItemValue.Read (System.IO.BinaryReader _br) [0x00098] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0 
  at EntityCreationData.read (PooledBinaryReader _br, System.Boolean _bNetworkRead) [0x002ad] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0 
  at PlayerDataFile.Read (PooledBinaryReader _br, System.UInt32 _version) [0x00013] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0 
  at PlayerDataFile.Load (System.String _dir, System.String _playerName) [0x00086] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0 

then the next one:
2020-10-05T21:17:35 182.339 ERR Loading backup player data failed for player 'xxxxxxx', rolling back: Attempted to read past the end of the stream.

at PooledBinaryReader.FillBuffer (System.Int32 _numBytes) [0x00030] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0 
  at PooledBinaryReader.ReadSingle () [0x00000] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0 
  at ItemValue.Read (System.IO.BinaryReader _br) [0x00017] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0

...a whole bunch of lines...

at ItemValue.Read (System.IO.BinaryReader _br) [0x00098] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0 
  at EntityCreationData.read (PooledBinaryReader _br, System.Boolean _bNetworkRead) [0x002ad] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0 
  at PlayerDataFile.Read (PooledBinaryReader _br, System.UInt32 _version) [0x00013] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0 
  at PlayerDataFile.Load (System.String _dir, System.String _playerName) [0x0018c] in <9f04a0ee08f84f3794a7468a839f2bb0>:0 

I have a feeling that there might be another file being checked for characters now, just need to figure it out and bring that over too. Already tried bringing over the "players.xml" file, but that only seems to hold/track the last time the player(s) were online, their alliances, their land claim blocks, and their bedroll.

Anyone else figured this out? Do share what you did...

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Be safe,

Ynnos

@YnnosI just tested copying character data to a new world in A19.1 and it worked.

This was with vanilla, no mods, and single player. I made a Navezgane world, and played my character up to level 6.

Filled my inventory with junk and logged off. I then made a new 4K RWG world. I replaced my .ttp and backup .ttp in

the new world with the Navezgane player data. I didn't replace the .map data when transferring because of course it

is a different map.

The only issue I had was that I had a quest active which was no longer valid and I got an error when I dismissed it.

It didn't break anything though. I had all my inventory, kills, level, skill points, and skills that I had bought with skill points.

Didn't really see a problem except that I would have to find a trader in the new world. You could always give yourself

that quest though if it bothered you.

So for you I suggest checking if the problem is a mod. Maybe you have inventory items that don't exist in the new world.

Just guessing there. Also I'd delete any quests before moving, and log off in the game in a central location on the map

so you don't accidentally spawn at the bottom of an ocean.

@Beelzybub - Hi there! Thanks for testing this out and confirming that it works in a19.1 vanilla. Obviously, we got mods so that's something to start checking on.

- So we're playing in the original map (e.g. Nomadzone19), loaded up our inventory and logged off

- Shutdown the server

- Generated the new map, and uploaded it to the Data\Worlds\ folder - with a new name (e.g. Nomadzone19a)

- Updated the server configuration file to reflect the new name, e.g. Nomadzone19a

- Started up the server, validated that Saves\Nomadzone19a\Nomadzone19a\ is created - then did one of the (3) scenarios I stated above:

1 - copy over all (3) - "map", "ttp" and "ttp.bak" files, then login for the 1st time

2 - copy over only (2) - "ttp" and "ttp.bak" files, then login for the 1st time

3 - login for the first time, then delete/replace "ttp" and "ttp.bak" files

Maybe you have inventory items that don't exist in the new world.

So since technically we never replaced/installed new mods, anything in our inventory should still be valid right? Would there be certain situations, e.g. having "end-game", "later-age", or tier-3 items that shouldn't exist in Day 1 that could be possibly breaking the character "re"-creation? Any ideas of other possible situations?

I read somewhere that the error message part that says "Attempted to read past the end of the stream." usually means the player data file didn't close properly? I can understand how that could happen on a local game, if you closed the game improperly or lost power, etc. But not sure how to mitigate it when logging off (ESC-EXIT) from a server game.

But you got us looking in the right direction, it's probably a mod. We just need to know what mod or what types of inventory items that are potentially "buggy" and we should avoid having in our inventory.

Thanks again for your help and for pointing us in the right direction!!

Be safe,

Ynnos

13 minutes ago, Ynnos said:

- Generated the new map, and uploaded it to the Data\Worlds\ folder

@Ynnos, if you generate the world locally and then upload it, your local game will have to have the exact same mods as the server game

so that the world files match. (I think)

A test might be to have a player log off the old world naked, with empty inventory/toolbelt, and see if a copy works. If it does work, then it's likely

a modded inventory item problem. If it doesn't work, then probably a modded skill, book read, or quest is at fault. Also maybe remove land

claims and bedrolls from the old server first.

Did you directly edit any .xmls or are all the mods loaded from the MODS folder?

@Beelzybub Hi again!! I do appreciate you taking time to troubleshoot and bounce ideas around. I've been playing 7d2d off and on for a few years now and just got into the server admin stuff and even the mods. My family and friends were able to join me and started playing recently so it sparked up my interest again. Decided to get a server from pingperfect so we've been dabbling around and just having a lot of fun!! *lol*

Re: world generation - I'm using Nitrogen to generate the map, give it a name and it creates the folder with that name in the output directory. I upload that generated folder to the Worlds folder on the server using ftp. *Side note - the current version of Nitrogen is based off of 19.0, so I do see a log message that it's using a map from the previous version but it seems to be working fine on that part.

Re: local folders - it's funny, but I've only played this game on servers. I think I've only tried to run it locally once and it scared the crap out of me, so I just play with friends. Even then, Day 1 or my first day in-game is always a nail-biter.... hehehe... I'm not ashamed to admit that those zombies are scary, and even scarier now with the updates.

Re: mods - the only mods I have locally in my Mods folder are the ones that are being used in conjunction with the server. I learned that if the mod has any other folders aside from "Config" then it has to be installed on the clients as well. We do have mods that are only on the server, and those are the ones that just have the "Config" folder.

A test might be to have a player log off the old world naked, with empty inventory/toolbelt, and see if a copy works. If it does work, then it's likely

a modded inventory item problem. If it doesn't work, then probably a modded skill, book read, or quest is at fault. Also maybe remove land

claims and bedrolls from the old server first.

Thanks for this idea!!! My buddy actually saw your reply and pinged me on our discord chat to try this. We'll probably check this out today and see if it works.

Hmmm... I was re-reading your statement about world generation and mods, and now you're making me think. Is there a difference when the game generates the map and when Nitrogen generates the map? Or is the process similar? If they're similar, then I'll have to grab the server-only mods and plop those into my Mods directory as well, and re-generate a new map. That would make sense...

Good stuff!! Thanks again for your help with this!!!

Okay to re-cap what we tried and finally ended up with:

*only copied over the ttp and ttp.bak files to new map\Players directory

**using Nitrogen to generate maps, moving from a 6k map to an 8k map

***have mods installed

- Everything (clothes, toolbar, inventory) - NO-GO - re-creates a lvl 1 char

- Only Clothes (made sure that I was only wearing regular armor that was available in-game, though they were lvl 6 and full of mods, which were also avail from in-game) - NO-GO - re-creates a lvl 1 char

- Naked - GO - ended up at the same location char logged off in old map, in the new map - so if new map is bigger, like in our case, then you should be sorta fine, if you're moving from large map to smaller map, try to log off closer to center (said "sorta fine" coz I spawned in the side of a steep mountain, snow biome, naked, and given my high lvl and game stage, approx. (8) zombies waiting for me... oh fun...)

- Special - sent the new map, mods, etc. to my buddy, and he installed and started it up on his pc, got a lvl 1 char - leveled it up and gave it equipment and then sent his char files over - I plopped it into the server's new map\Players directory and - GO - when he logged in, his char maintained its stats and inventory - so this might be another alternative to try if ever

Obviously we went with the "Naked" route. Everyone just did a "B" on the old map and took a screenshot, then unloaded everything and logged off. I copied over the char files afterwards. When I logged in, I tp'ed over to the new map's spawnpoint and created a small platform with boxes for equipment/supplies. And as everyone else logged in, I just tp'ed them over to me. Breaks some immersion, but it's a small price to pay to be able to "start" in a new place, but keep our lvl/stats.

Future stuff to consider, try-out:

- remove the clothing/weapon mods - maybe it just got too complex for the game to re-create the player char with all that

- go Naked - but put stuff in inventory instead

- copy my Naked char locally, start up the new map and verify I can join the new local map with high lvl/stats - then proceed to re-equip and fill up inventory with equipment/supplies needed by everyone else - so when everyone "travels" to the new land together, I can immediately dole out equipment and supplies - then venture from our "starting" spot to find a new base... *lol*

It's been a fun experiment and I hope our experience helps some other folks out there!! Thanks again to @Beelzybub for the collaboration, and help with pointing us in the right direction!!

Be safe all and Happy Zombie Hunting!!

Ynnos

Archived