khzmusik's Modlets

khzmusik

Quick update.

My plans for  A19 and the repo, do not really go well with the Mod Launcher.

So, I'm going to create an entirely new repo for the A19 modlets. This has the beneficial side effect that the A18 versions will always be available in the Mod Launcher.

I will update the first post once things are close to stable.

Bad news for anyone wanting UMA zombies in A19...

The controller that UMA zombies use is broken in A19. I don't just mean that the zombies themselves don't work. If you try to include them in your game, they'll break the game. They produce so many null reference errors that the game itself won't function properly.

Oh, well, it was nice while it lasted.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

A19 UPDATE:

I don't see any way to edit the original post any more... probably too old?

In any case - I have a new repo for the A19 version of my modlets:

https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a19-modlets

Most of the modlets in the original post aren't updated. This is because most of them involve the human NPCs, and I haven't been keeping up with those, for various reasons. The UMA zombie modlet doesn't work in A19, for reasons I already mentioned.

This leaves the two "mostly dead" modlets - bedrolls aren't spawn points, and removing skill points on death - plus the very simple modlet that removes the enemy health bar enabled by default in the SphereII Core modlet.

All of these are really simple, and I didn't have to modify much to get them to work with A19. That is good news, since A19 is now reaching the end of its life, and I don't know how active I will be in modding once A20 rolls around. (As they say, life gets in the way.)

If anyone found these to be at all useful, please feel free to use them in your own mods/modlets, release your own versions, or just use them as learning tools.

Good news! Thanks to the community that worked on Snufkin's Server Size Z(S)ombies, I discovered how to make my own UMA zombies work again.

There is still the issue with ragdoll physics - if you hit the UMA zombies with a melee weapon and ragdoll them, they can go flying. I have not been able to fix this, and it also affects the updated Snufkin zombies, so I think it's endemic to UMA zombies in 7D2D.

Here's a link to the Snufkin zombies. Feel free to download it (there are some wild ones in it) and say thanks to everyone:

• 4 weeks later...

Good news, everyone!

I'm getting into DMT/Harmony modding now, and I have a couple of modlets ready that you might like.

More to come when (if) they're ready!

I have also added a couple of XML/XPath only modlets that some people might enjoy:

Hope at least some of y'all enjoy them.

Khz . . .  "Hope at least some of y'all enjoy them."

Thank you for this, Kkz!
I'm "ok" at xml, and probably like many other players here, have my own personal 7Days mod - some 546MB, building for a for a few years now, adding, combining, changing, splitting out the bits I like from the brilliant work of the "heroes" on this site: we all know who they are.  I just want to tell you that for me, you have become one of those "heroes".  I use some of your mods, and I appreciate the work that you do, and the interest that you maintain in continuing to improve and innovate.  Please - don't lose that interest. Just because there are not too many responses here - it doesn't mean that no-one cares or thinks your work is not important. It is - your mods are quite unique from many of the other mods on this site.
Thank you.
pj

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

On 1/24/2021 at 10:12 AM, paulj_3 said:

Khz . . .  "Hope at least some of y'all enjoy them."

Thank you for this, Kkz!
I'm "ok" at xml, and probably like many other players here, have my own personal 7Days mod - some 546MB, building for a for a few years now, adding, combining, changing, splitting out the bits I like from the brilliant work of the "heroes" on this site: we all know who they are.  I just want to tell you that for me, you have become one of those "heroes".  I use some of your mods, and I appreciate the work that you do, and the interest that you maintain in continuing to improve and innovate.  Please - don't lose that interest. Just because there are not too many responses here - it doesn't mean that no-one cares or thinks your work is not important. It is - your mods are quite unique from many of the other mods on this site.
Thank you.
pj

Thank you for the kind words! It means a lot to me.

And, on the subject of not losing interest...

I have created another DMT modlet:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 3:40 PM, khzmusik said:

Seasonal weather: adds seasons which affect the global temperature...

I see on the Github repo that you have this note:

"The seasonal year does not start until after a "weather grace period." The grace period is hard-coded in the game"

Do you know how long this "Grace Period" is/lasts?  I've been trying to find out more about the weather system ( that's getting some sort of an overhaul in a20 I hear) and I haven't heard of this info to date.  I just though the global weather updated slowly, like every few hours in game.

Also, this note: "The global temperature cannot go over 101 degrees, or below 70 degrees (Fahrenheit)...."

Do you know what the vanilla global temperature "average" is supposed to be? I thought it was 70 F (based on observation, not facts).  It would seem that it *should* be something like 85F given those numbers (like in the green forest). I'm looking to figure out what the "default" or "average" global temp is, or how much is swings/updates/etc.  Since you made a seasonal weather mod, I kinda was wondering if the vanilla global temp was "random" or followed some algorithm, like the phases of the moon, and your season mod was just extending this in game cycle, or overriding the randomness, etc.

3 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

I see on the Github repo that you have this note:

"The seasonal year does not start until after a "weather grace period." The grace period is hard-coded in the game"

Do you know how long this "Grace Period" is/lasts?  I've been trying to find out more about the weather system ( that's getting some sort of an overhaul in a20 I hear) and I haven't heard of this info to date.  I just though the global weather updated slowly, like every few hours in game.

Also, this note: "The global temperature cannot go over 101 degrees, or below 70 degrees (Fahrenheit)...."

Do you know what the vanilla global temperature "average" is supposed to be? I thought it was 70 F (based on observation, not facts).  It would seem that it *should* be something like 85F given those numbers (like in the green forest). I'm looking to figure out what the "default" or "average" global temp is, or how much is swings/updates/etc.  Since you made a seasonal weather mod, I kinda was wondering if the vanilla global temp was "random" or followed some algorithm, like the phases of the moon, and your season mod was just extending this in game cycle, or overriding the randomness, etc.

In the A19 code, the weather grace period is 30000 "ticks." I'm about 99% certain that 1000 "ticks" equals one in-game hour, so the weather grace period lasts 30 hours. The code is in WeatherManager.UpdateTargetsBasedOnBiomes.

In the grace period, the global temperature is set to 70 degrees, but I'm pretty sure that's just a placeholder value (since it doesn't matter anyway). The medium is indeed 85 degrees.

After the grace period, in vanilla, the global temperature goes up or down by 0.01 degrees per tick. Whether it goes up or down is determined by a "temperatureGoingUp" variable, that changes direction every 3000 ticks (3 hours). But the method where this happens, does not seem to be invoked every tick, so there is some randomness to it. The same method is the one that clamps the global temperature between 70 and 101 degrees, inclusive. The method is WeatherManager.GenerateWeather.

My modlet creates a new method that runs on every game update, which sets the global temperature before GenerateWeather runs. It basically uses a sine wave, which is pretty close to what happens in the real world. The sine wave's amplitude (temperature variation), frequency (meteorological year length), and phase shift (starting season) can be set as custom properties in worldglobal.xml.

Keep in mind that the global temperature is not the same as the temperature felt by a player. Each biome has its own local temperature, and that is influenced by cloud thickness, precipitation, and sun angle (time of day). This is done in WeatherManager.CombineGlobalTemperature, which is called by BiomeWeather.Update. The min and max temperatures for the biomes are set in biomes.xml.

Also, players themselves have buffs that increase their core temperatures (e.g. standing near a campfire).

And, you heard right, the whole thing is being reworked. I asked Faatal about this in the A20 thread. Here's the last comment about it, you can follow the quotes back to see the details (such as they are): 

Edited by khzmusik
Inaccurate/unclear about what my modlet actually does (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

Each biome has its own local temperature....The min and max temperatures for the biomes are set in biomes.xml.

I have some mods that mess with the weather in biomes.xml.  It was always kinda a crapshoot/guesswork on what to set things to (to get what I wanted) as I never knew the limits/extremes of the global weather, or how far I could go with a setting ( e.g. set the burnt forest Temp = 10000000? I mean, will it actually work if I did...hmmm..  Apparently the answer is "no", and some of my early testing also said "yeah, you don't insta-death when you walk into this biome, something's up... maybe it just takes a loong time?".,,etc).  I've also had people tell me my weather mod(s) are broken (they may be in some situations!) but I never knew what global weather was supposed to act like to begin with. Maybe their issue was RNG?  etc...

Anyway, Thanks for the info!  It helps make more sense of things.

5 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

I have some mods that mess with the weather in biomes.xml.  It was always kinda a crapshoot/guesswork on what to set things to (to get what I wanted) as I never knew the limits/extremes of the global weather, or how far I could go with a setting ( e.g. set the burnt forest Temp = 10000000? I mean, will it actually work if I did...hmmm..  Apparently the answer is "no", and some of my early testing also said "yeah, you don't insta-death when you walk into this biome, something's up... maybe it just takes a loong time?".,,etc).  I've also had people tell me my weather mod(s) are broken (they may be in some situations!) but I never knew what global weather was supposed to act like to begin with. Maybe their issue was RNG?  etc...

Anyway, Thanks for the info!  It helps make more sense of things.

Oh, yeah, I didn't describe the biome settings well in the last post. I might also be wrong about what they do - I discovered it through testing.

Basically, the "max" and "min" are added to the global temperature max and min. So, since the desert biome has a min of 20 and max of 50, the actual in-game temperatures in that biome have a min of 90 (70 + 20) and a max of 151 (101 + 50).

From the code, I think the most you can set the max temperature is 50 degrees. I could easily be misunderstanding the code though.

If you want to mess around with my modlet, you could experiment with it yourself - you can set a seasonal year to something like four days, crank up the max temp in the biome's XML, and see what happens. You can see the (biome) temperature if you use the "weather" command without arguments. (EDIT: which I guess you know, seeing as you have your own weather modlet... D'oh!)

• 3 weeks later...

As I wrote before! -
I really want a mod that (as in one of the old mods) changed the season! Today is summer, tomorrow it is snowing, everything is turning white, it is also getting cold and you need to change your clothes!
But you have been smart, you have programmed everything so difficult that it is even difficult to understand the first time!
We need to make it easier to access!
For instance:
Two days Summer and summer temperatures respectively.
Two days Winter, the snow falls all white and the temperature is, respectively, winter!

After you have installed your mod, only a message about the coming of the new season gives out the work of the mod! :

On 3/2/2021 at 2:04 PM, user2010 said:

As I wrote before! -
I really want a mod that (as in one of the old mods) changed the season! Today is summer, tomorrow it is snowing, everything is turning white, it is also getting cold and you need to change your clothes!
But you have been smart, you have programmed everything so difficult that it is even difficult to understand the first time!
We need to make it easier to access!
For instance:
Two days Summer and summer temperatures respectively.
Two days Winter, the snow falls all white and the temperature is, respectively, winter!

After you have installed your mod, only a message about the coming of the new season gives out the work of the mod! :

I think it's probably a language barrier, but I'm not sure what you're asking.

It is possible to configure this modlet, and it is all done in XML. That is about as easy as I can make it.

There are detailed instructions in the README.md file. But, if you don't want to read it, here are the values you want (I think):

• To shorten the meteorological year (the time it takes to pass through all four seasons), set the "DaysPerMeteorologicalYear" value in the modlet's worldglobal.xml file. For example, if you want each season to be two days long, set the value to 8 (4 seasons x 2 days each).
  • If you want to make the temperature variations more extreme, set the "TemperatureVariation" value to a high number. BUT, the game is hard-coded to a temperature range of 31 degrees Fahrenheit. If you set it to a higher number, the temperature will "clip" at the high and low values. This will be perceived as a radical change in temperature between seasons. (It is not realistic, but might be what you want.)

There are other limitations due to the game itself. For example: out of necessity, the global temperature is set on the server. The messaging that you see is the only way the server can send a message to the client(s). (I asked others about this, and they all concurred.) Also, things other than global temperature (like rain/snow) are hard-coded, and are not possible for me to change (or at least, I don't know how I could do it).

I hope all of that makes sense.

While I'm here, I might as well announce a couple of other modlets I created.

I've been spending most of my time focusing on the NPCs, so I will probably have another modlet or two coming that adds new features to them. My plans include: NPC POIs, different quests, dynamic factions, and deep dialog options. (We'll see how much of that I actually get done. :) )

It would be excellent that the bandits with automatic weapons shoot in bursts or automatic mode and reduce the damage a little bit, as for example the macbee npc he shots m60 autmatic fire, I tried to compare the xml to achieve it but I could not ... if you made this, I would be eternally grateful.

sorry for my english i am using google translator

2 hours ago, Souhank said:

It would be excellent that the bandits with automatic weapons shoot in bursts or automatic mode and reduce the damage a little bit, as for example the macbee npc he shots m60 autmatic fire, I tried to compare the xml to achieve it but I could not ... if you made this, I would be eternally grateful.

sorry for my english i am using google translator

Just so you know, I am only modifying the excellent work done by Xyth and company.

I did ask Xyth about the NPC rate of fire, and how it could be modified. He did not know. Apparently that code is from vanilla 7D2D, and it works in mysterious ways.

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2020 at 3:56 PM, khzmusik said:

Good news! Thanks to the community that worked on Snufkin's Server Size Z(S)ombies, I discovered how to make my own UMA zombies work again.

There is still the issue with ragdoll physics - if you hit the UMA zombies with a melee weapon and ragdoll them, they can go flying. I have not been able to fix this, and it also affects the updated Snufkin zombies, so I think it's endemic to UMA zombies in 7D2D.

Here's a link to the Snufkin zombies. Feel free to download it (there are some wild ones in it) and say thanks to everyone:

Did you upload that working version anywhere? I've been working on a server side overhaul mod I'd love to include these in, and I can't seem to figure out what's causing the NRE's when I spawn in zombieChang. I'm already using the Snufkins Zombies, and MikePewPew's Server Side Zombies, and a couple of random remixes from Doughphungus, but I'd like to use these as well. 

8 hours ago, magejosh said:

Did you upload that working version anywhere? I've been working on a server side overhaul mod I'd love to include these in, and I can't seem to figure out what's causing the NRE's when I spawn in zombieChang. I'm already using the Snufkins Zombies, and MikePewPew's Server Side Zombies, and a couple of random remixes from Doughphungus, but I'd like to use these as well. 

The version in my A19 repo should be working: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a19-modlets/-/tree/master/khzmusik_UMA_Zombies

(EDIT: ignore the fact that it says "A18" in the README, that's my stupidity.)

This is the first I've heard of any NREs when using those zombies in A19. However, it's possible that my non-DMT test installation is still on version A19.3.

If you are using the version from the A19 repo, and run across those NREs again, could you upload logs here?

Apparently I am in fact a potato and was using an outdated download earlier. That link works like a charm, already seeing a nice infusion of your uma zombies without having them overload the spawning ratios with the vanilla and bosses. I can't thank you enough for everything you do. I'm also using the no bedrolls and reset skills on death mods. They really help make the theme of Purgatory come through in the playthroughs i've had while testing. 

• 1 month later...

It is not surprising that people have been downloading the old A18 versions of the modlets, since I can't update the original post.

I created a new topic for the A19 modlets, so we should probably move any new discussions to that thread.