Weather Conditons/Maybe Solving Food Issues

Jugginator

I slightly mentioned weather survival and Madmole did say weather needs a bit of love yet, but here are some shower thoughts I had.

Snow Biomes:

• No matter if under max hypothermal resistance or not, there's a constant (low) degradation of food since you're in blizzards unless you're

indoors and near a warmth source.

• Under xx< degrees, during the first "cold" debuff, you more rapidly lose food, with a chance of catching a cold, which you need to remain

over-filled of food for a small-time period.

*]Under xx< degrees, during the red freezing debuff, food rapidly depletes with a high chance of catching pneumonia, which degrades into death

if not taken care of. Must remain indoors near a fire and above full-food for whatever time deemed. Perhaps vitamins and teas can help the process (hot foods like stews as well)

Forrest Biomes:

•  
  • During nights, the first cold debuff can happen with the aforementioned effects.

• Medium chance of rain, which causes cold debuff, high chance of catching a cold, with aforementioned cold-sickness affects

Cold + Rainy + Cold sickness = chance of pneumonia, again with previously stated effects and death if not taken care of

Desert Biomes:

• Daytime rapidly drains water upon reaching "hot", which turns into "burning hot" or whatever it is, causing exponential water loss. Upon

recovery from either, a massive drop in food levels, needing to re-eat to gain strength back

• Nighttimes are cold, with Cold debuff/other things mentioned before.

Wasteland... I was thinking hot, but interestingly maybe it can have minor radiation to it. The longer you're in there without a full rad suit stacks minor radiation, leading to radiation sickness. The more is it, the faster both food and water degenerate. Need (rad pills?) vitamins, antibiotics, keep full food/water indoors to cure.

I think something along the lines of this (of course, not "Walk into snow biome and instantly catch a cold" etc.), with proper balancing, can finally bring back the non-zombie survival aspect of the game past the first week. Tbh, I haven't worried about food and water since I first started playing in A15 after I figured out how to actually play the game. The first week can be a nice struggle, but tbh, after that, it's just an afterthought you never worry about again. Adding vitamins, etc. into it also gives reason to use some of the stacks of them sitting in chests.

Of course, clothing helps prevent this stuff. Such as leather duster + other rain-resistant stuff reduces wetness and chance of colds in rain. That good stuff.

If they want to make weather meaningful, they will need to add more tools to handle it.

Right now the solution is "get your cold and heat resistance as high as possible in order to ignore it"

Sure there's a few workarounds early...carrying a torch, standing at a campfire....but for actually moving around the map, of which this game requires as a necessity (game design encouraging you to sit around for long periods of real life time to wait something out is bad), you have only "carry a torch" and "drink special drinks" (which are all early-mid to mid game - by which point most people will have full clothing)

Hmm, I like the idea of having more diversity in terms of weather survival, but IMO it should not be a prominent feature you constantly need to micro-manage. In A16 (or was it 15) our server used to turn weathersurvival off completely since it was tedious to carry multiple pieces of clothing with you, taking up valuable inventory space and very frequently change clothes even within a single biome.

Yes for slightly faster player food consumption in the snow areas unless indoors. Yes for frostbite. No for catching diseases.

Yes for slightly faster water consumption in the desert, though I guess the sweltering debuff does that already, or does it?

Yes for radiation (pockets?) in the wasteland, but there needs to be some sort of proper reward. Perhaps some high value wasteland specific POIs or a biome specific exp multiplier.

Glad I'm not the only one in this boat lol.

I like all of your suggestions Jugginator. I find the weather to be a lot less meaningful in the current version, especially with the newb-superpower weather-ignoring buff.

THanks Ive always wondered what/when/if they're going to do with weather. I think it'll help add value to survival and make medicine, clothing, mods and food something to think about again after the first week.

I just hope they will bring some diversity to it. I would also really like to see extreme weather conditions fit for a post-apocalyptic world like acid rain, radiation sandstorms, chemical fog and so on.

Me too, be pretty cool actually. Force you to stay in base for a while and live on whatever you have collected. I've actually sorta done that before for a challenge, not allowing myself to leave my base after a horde night until after the next horde night.

If they want to make weather meaningful, they will need to add more tools to handle it.

Right now the solution is "get your cold and heat resistance as high as possible in order to ignore it"

Sure there's a few workarounds early...carrying a torch, standing at a campfire....but for actually moving around the map, of which this game requires as a necessity (game design encouraging you to sit around for long periods of real life time to wait something out is bad), you have only "carry a torch" and "drink special drinks" (which are all early-mid to mid game - by which point most people will have full clothing)

Right lol, weather survival is nothing anyone thinks about after the first couple of days. With my suggestions, getting too cold or hot may or may not hinder you, they just turn into worse things if not taken care of. I def don't want a sitation like walk into a snow biome, instantly get cold which grants a cold sickness which after 3 mins tuns into pneumonia. Kinda like a random interval on it all, with perks/clothing/eating well/etc. effecting it.

Archived