Need Help: Creating new Items using existing Icons/Meshes

Guest Rassilon

Guest Rassilon

Hello Fellow Players.

Short Summary:

I want to create tiered Versions of the existing Magazine Extender. Each Tier with more Rounds as the one before.

I had success in creating: The Item, its recipe and its shematic, solely via XML Edits

I have Problems with: Connecting the allready existing Icon of the vanilla Extender with my new tiered ones, aswell as writing Custom Descriptions for the recipe aswell as the Item itself. Right now they are blank (text and Icon)

Question: Is it possible? Or do i need to create a Modlet/Xpath?

Im fairly new to modding and want to avoid that players have to download anything from the Server.

(At least until i created something that is worth creating a real Modlet/Mod for)

Sure, descriptions are in Localization.txt

If you want to reuse the magazine extender's icon but change the color, you can use:

<property name="CustomIcon" value="modGunMagazineExtender"/>
<property name="CustomIconTint" value="255,0,255"/> (RBG values)

Guest Rassilon

i kind of feel retarded right now.

Last Fall i allready tried to do it, but couldt get the icon done, nor the descriptions.

Not with your help, i got both in like 5 minutes

Thank you very much!

Maybe one last thing: Is there a List of Icons i can use with Names or something, or is it just always the itemname?

I think any vanilla item, it's just the same as the item name. Even in modlets, you don't need the CustomIcon line if the icon is the exact same name as the item. I still use it that way if I change something, I don't have to worry. Lol.

Guest Rassilon

so, i had success. Created a new Version of the Magazine Extender

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1823504805

custom color, Icon from the Magazine Extender, altered Description and the test values of the Mod works too.

Problem:

It only works for me. i invited a friend for testing to my game ( hosted on my computer for testing ) but he only gets empty icon and empty decription.

We both Restarted the Clients, didnt help.

Any Ideas?

The Plan is to publish the finished mod ( around 50 mods) on the Clan Server in A18.

Guest Rassilon

I was afraid so.

A Modlet via Xpath cant fix that, right? It would only edit XML Files too.

Seems i cant avoid learning to do a proper mod ^^

If the mod contains any folders other than /config then it requires a client install.

Localization pushing should come soon, but word on the street is that it requires more code to avoid the server pushing something malicious that could screw over a client.

...like the exit button going straight to my PayPal donation page. :)

Guest Rassilon

thanks for clearing that up Guppy.

Im really new to this, but as our Server is aimed for newbie Players i dont want to confront them with Download-Mods or something like that.

We have a lot of XML Tweaks and stuff, but seem to be limited for now, creating new Items etc without additional Files.

So i better wait till the Devs enable this as you said and hope that they fix your Donate button^^

Guest Rassilon

So last update to my Thread:

Got it working and have a semi-optimal Solution: Uploaded Localization File in Discord, have interested Players downloading it.

Since its not needed (blank space is the result) for the actual item Mods to work, i can live with that, until TFP got a solution.

One last question, slightly offtopic.

I Read that with XPath you can manipulate the specific XML Files via "Nodes" etc ( only read a bit so far)

If i use the XPath Variant, have players to download something, or does it work just like the Normal XML Edits?

Since i plan to add roughly 180 Item Mods, this would mean a ♥♥♥♥load of work, and what i see of Xpath it would help me a lot.

Just dont want Players to Download stuff (at least at this Moment)

Thanks Fellas.

Think of Xpath as live editing of the vanilla xmls during game load.

The disadvantage is there is a slight learning curve to using it.

The advantage is when the game updates you do not need to hunt through the new XML's and make all of your changes all over again. Additionally, you can use multiple XPath mods as long as they do not edit the same portions of the xmls.

Hands down XPath wins.

Guest Rassilon

Thanks i guess i will give it a try once my "framework" works^^

ok but does this work completly server side, or need the Clients to download this ?

Similar to the Problem with the localization file, that gets not pushed server side.

Archived