A recommendation for the affliction system

Dimpy

I have a problem with the way the perk system is set up: it all seems way too optimistic. Every and attribute perk description I read contains the promise of eventually becoming a badass, whether it be a badass mma fighter, badass runner, badass cook, badass tinkerer, or badass flower arranger. I'm fine that this theme of empowerment exists, but without anything to balance it out, it makes the game feel like it isn't a horror game.

So that's where the affliction system comes in. I propose that under the skills tab, next to the perk book bonuses, the player gets a library of the different afflictions their character can get. In the same way that clicking on a perk shows all the levels it can be, clicking on an affliction shows all the possible stages, which can be clicked on to show a more in-depth description. The in-depth description shows stuff like how it gets cured/worsened, the status effects it gives, but most importantly, a short pessimistic description of how royally screwed the player could hypothetically be if they contracted the affliction.

TLDR: The perks and perk books seem well-written, but it would be nice to hear some more pessimistic stuff written in the same tone.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the entire system has been completely re-worked for a18 already.

Yeah, what I said about the perks was based off of dev diary and the recent Madmole videos. There hasn't been much said about how the debuffs have changed since A17 though.

I'm fine that this theme of empowerment exists, but without anything to balance it out, it makes the game feel like it isn't a horror game.

Maybe that's because it's not a horror game. It contains horror elements but it is not the same as a horror game.

Archived