Huge frame rate drops with RTX 2080 and Ryzen 7

aster56

Hello guys,

I have been playing this game since start of June and i know this subject is posted a lot on the forums so I apologise, but i don't know what to do!

I started off on the preset High settings at 2k res (Having known its a voxel game i figured this should be OK) to which i found around 70 fps with no zombies and around 50 fps with a few zombies. However, once a hoard rocks up to the house the fps takes a massive hit down to 20-30 fps on average.

So that was too annoying to play so i dropped to medium preset. which led to 120-130 fps with no zombies down to 60ish with few zombies and still at 30ish fps.

So i dropped to low preset just to see and i have only marginal fps improvements which during hoard day its still too far from 60 fps for me.

I have also tried changing to 1080p res and again got only slight improvements but even on low settings i still saw fps drops down to 30-40 fps during the hoard.

My Computer is:

Ryzen 7 2700

RTX 2080

16gb DDR4 Ram

windows 10 (up to date)

Game is stored on a HDD not my SSD

List of everything i've done so far:

All the changes had a restart.

Looked at the sticky thread aimed at helping with performance issues - didnt help.

Drivers up to date.

Check temps and % of usage for cpu + gpu and everything seems OK (usage is never above 50% cpu and GPU is often in 60-80% range)

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

// Update //

Read on a post that Geforce experience can cause issues, however uninstalled and it persists.

Hello guys,

I have been playing this game since start of June and i know this subject is posted a lot on the forums so I apologise, but i don't know what to do!

I started off on the preset High settings at 2k res (Having known its a voxel game i figured this should be OK) to which i found around 70 fps with no zombies and around 50 fps with a few zombies. However, once a hoard rocks up to the house the fps takes a massive hit down to 20-30 fps on average.

So that was too annoying to play so i dropped to medium preset. which led to 120-130 fps with no zombies down to 60ish with few zombies and still at 30ish fps.

So i dropped to low preset just to see and i have only marginal fps improvements which during hoard day its still too far from 60 fps for me.

I have also tried changing to 1080p res and again got only slight improvements but even on low settings i still saw fps drops down to 30-40 fps during the hoard.

My Computer is:

Ryzen 7 2700

RTX 2080

16gb DDR4 Ram

windows 10 (up to date)

Game is stored on a HDD not my SSD

List of everything i've done so far:

All the changes had a restart.

Looked at the sticky thread aimed at helping with performance issues - didnt help.

Drivers up to date.

Check temps and % of usage for cpu + gpu and everything seems OK (usage is never above 50% cpu and GPU is often in 60-80% range)

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

// Update //

Read on a post that Geforce experience can cause issues, however uninstalled and it persists.

Not sure this will help, but instead of using presets you might turn specific features off and check if that helps with the issue. I would specifically try Reflections off and Shadows off. Also try this (in 17.4): "If you are suffering from low FPS,please type "gfx pp enable 0" in console, to get a possible performance gain"

Are you sure you have all drivers for chipset up-to-date? If neither CPU nor GPU are at their limit, data transfer speed might be hampered somewhere. I don't think the HDD is the problem since I'm pretty sure zombies should not contribute to disk traffic.

1. Game is CPU bound. AMD doesn't handle multi-threading so great.

2. You want the game on a SSD, as that's going to be your weakest link in your setup. A lot of world data is pulled from your drive, and when it takes longer to load that data, it will tank your FPS. Again, because the game is bound on CPU/RAM/HDD, and not GPU like most other games.

3. This IS a Voxel game. Higher resolutions means a higher demand from your system. Playing with a resolution higher than 1080p is not recommended.

1. Game is CPU bound. AMD doesn't handle multi-threading so great.

Can you please stop with that mis-information. AMD (especially Ryzen) handles this game just as well as Intel (all cores and threads get used in the exact same way and are only limited by the game engine). My first gen Ryzen 1600x with GTX 1060 runs this game on high settings at 1080p without a single fps related issue. Lowest I've seen mine drop to is about 45fps, and that was due to an intense moment in the game. The O.P. just doesn't have something set up correctly, that's all. Has nothing at all to do with the processor. Intel's very best (9900k?) is maybe only 5 - 10 fps difference to the 2700x, and that's because of the per core performance. That's it, and how many ppl here actually have a 9900k? Probably far less than the ones who own a Ryzen which is far more affordable. Gen3 cannot come soon enough to officially put an end to all this Intel fanboy-ism for this game.

I do however agree with the game being installed on SSD. This game constantly reads and writes to the drive, so SSD would help a lot in overall performance. I also agree with not playing on a resolution higher than 1080p, at least until the devs optimize the game more.

I also suggest making sure the BIOS is up-to-date and your overclock settings are set up correctly cuz things like Ram default to 2100 MHz which has an impact on overall computer performance (especially with Ryzen).

Might also help to make sure most of the Windows 10 garbage is not running in the background.

Also, don't use V-Sync... V-Sync is dumb in this game. Frame-rate limiters are far better to use anyways.

This is great, thanks for all the support guys.

OK so to start with I have reinstalled the game onto my SSD, changed my resolution to 1080p, set the game to medium settings (preset) and disabled shadows and reflections. Over all i did see huge improvements in load times (as expected), unfortunately though the same effect on the frame rate occurred during the first hoard (frame rate droped to around 30fps).

I then switched to low present once again to check the difference and its the same story as above, high frame rates so long as low amount of zombies are around (can just about hold onto 40fps during hoard).

I thought about updating BIOs before posting on the forum for help however, when reading the most recent update on the MSI website for my motherboard it states that it is simply a compatibility update for the new ryzen 3000 CPUs. Should i get it anyway?

I don't overcloack anything in the RAM past the XMP profiles which sets my corsair ram to 2966 (something like that). On that note now that i know this is a CPU heavy game i could enable the game boost in the BIOs or look into manual overclocking my CPU.

I don't use v-sync in this game so no problems there.

Thanks again for everyones help I will get to work on these changes and get back to you guys asap!

I thought about updating BIOs before posting on the forum for help however, when reading the most recent update on the MSI website for my motherboard it states that it is simply a compatibility update for the new ryzen 3000 CPUs. Should i get it anyway?

Nah... I didn't install that one either. As long as you have a somewhat recent bios version and not the old factory bios version, all is well.

Ram speed is fine, just as long as it isn't set to default 2100 MHz. CPU boost profiles aren't really good in my opinion. Having a constant frequency is better cuz there's no delay in the performance, just raw power. I got mine to 3.9 GHz cuz I don't like voltage tweaking, but I imagine you can probably get yours to 4 GHz or 4.1 GHz before voltage tweaking.

Also, according to my math, if your hyper-threaded cores are being utilized for the game as normal, the maximum overall CPU usage you should get with this game is 25% at any given time. So if you're getting higher than that, something else is running in the background consuming your CPU while you play or half your core threads are idling while you play which is very unlikely as that got fixed years ago.

Hello guys! Good news, i seem to have fixed the problem.

I went through a process of over clocking my 2700 manually (even took my aio cooler from another pc) and i got to 4.1 ghz which seemed great and made good progress with the game. However as usual i still had that, better, but still lower frame rate than i would like.

Just randomly i spotted an option in the windows 10 display settings to enable/disable HDR for games. I dont believe 7DTD supports HDR however, it makes a difference to the games colour ect (makes it look different). I disabled it and then tried it out and ive done two hoards with a strong 70-80 fps on medium preset at 1080p, which is perfectly fine with me!

Maybe it wasn't the underlying cause of my problem but it has made a large enough difference that the game plays at a nice frame rate now.

Has anyone ever seen this before? I guess windows is emulating HDR for the game in some way?

Anyways,

thanks for all the Help to everyone who replied!

Archived