Mining, The final experience. 17.4

ARRANOX

Concerning low amount of variety for tools and weapons - wait for performance and RWG improvements, then perhaps we'll see some more content. Even so, this is no Terraria, where you can build tools, weapons and armor from any type of wood, any type of ore, but also from a few additional materials.

I miss the "Biome X has X resource" also. Main reason why it was worth exploring other biomes, because i knew only some places had specific resources. In that sense, the progression is a bit broken. I could build my base anywhere, because with luck i would find everything i needed, even in the forest biome.

So in regards to actually finding the right ore, you need to dig up gravel. You get sand and stone and 1 resource. The resource you get is whats buried a bit deeper under the gravel.

Certain biomes yield specific resources more commonly. So oil shale for the desert, coal for the burnt forest for example.

But you can find all the resources in every biome it just takes a little bit of time.

And if you're grinding iron to upgrade your base then i can tell you now, you are playing the game wrong and you're wasting your time.

Don't build out of wood and upgrade to iron.

Build you base out of flag stone. There are blue boxes of cobble and bags of cement in and around most POI's.

The early game should be spent leveling up, scavenging, doing quests and picking up cobble and cement from these bags.

If you're lucky you can get iron and steel tools very early from the quest rewards.

My most recent world i did this and had a 13x13 reinforced cement base by day 7. Its that easy.

I miss the "Biome X has X resource" also. Main reason why it was worth exploring other biomes, because i knew only some places had specific resources. In that sense, the progression is a bit broken. I could build my base anywhere, because with luck i would find everything i needed, even in the forest biome.

I miss when mining was faster and gave you less resources per block, so that way you could really create tunnels, and find alot more smaller veins.

this also made it possible to mine wider tunnels and add wood poles and everything to make it look like a real mine.

i loved when i got to the point where one hit with the pickaxe was enough to destroy a stone block.آ¨

the overall mining experience was better.

Apologies if you knew this already, OP, but the other ores are usually below the iron layer and closer to bedrock. You will often hit iron before getting to them.

i actually didn`t know this, so i followed these instructions. i drove around trying to find a lead mine, and when found some gravel pointing to it i started digging diagonally down and had to switch direction 3 times to not stray to far from where i started i hit iron 4 times on my way down and had the shovel picaxe shovel pickaxe shovel etc experience, until i found a really big lead deposit. i got what i needed but i did not have fun doing it.

im glad mining is in for a change in A18

Glad i wasn't the only one making my tunnels supported by wooden poles to look like a real mine... :D

mining 101 back in the old days we had to do it. remember tunneling under a poi only to have a hell of a headache for not putting up supports... :)

One option might be to treat underground rocks like surface rocks where instead of finding a tiny amount of iron you have a chance to find a tiny amount of the minerals in surface rocks.

Perhaps change the distribution of veins too? Instead of an iron vain containing just iron, make it 80% of the blocks iron and 5% for the others (oil shale is just fine being found only in the desert.)

The surface gravel is a great help and if what I'm hearing is correct that gravel in veins will be removed that would certainly be nice. Maybe tinkering with block health and resource output could help

Perhaps change the distribution of veins too? Instead of an iron vain containing just iron, make it 80% of the blocks iron and 5% for the others (oil shale is just fine being found only in the desert.)

having many of these different blocks nekst to each other always messes with the textures though, working my way through a mine with iron stone and lead f.eks moldes the textures togheter making it hard to decide what is what. might be easier if they remove the gravel and then have a pure vein.

in my opinion oil shale and every other material should be found in every biome there is.

thats becouse i want every biome to be optional without having to mod the game.

lets say you want a desert only map,

or you want to an all snow world.

or you want to combine just two biomes.

now thats something that would greatly improve replayability.

Having some resources in specific biomes and snow only biome wouldn't be a bad idea. Remember that regular gameplay focuses on a multi biome map, where you can explore every type and find every resource. If you want to play a special map where you have only snow biome (remember that some POIs won't appear there) then it's a challenge map, rather than a regular one. You shouldn't be able to have everything as in regular game with every biome on map.

That being said, a mixed vein with resources wouldn't be too bad, but the counter point would be that finding some specific resource like lead (which you don't have enough and are seeking) would lower the yield in exchange of something you already have. So you want 100% lead, but get 80% lead and 20% carbon.

Archived