Shotgun perk is lame

zombo

yes... I spent 5 points on this perk tree today, hoping it would be the secret weapon against the GREEN threat... I want my points back!

At max level it says shots to the legs cripple enemies, but in actual use it doesn't seem any better then any gun to the leg. It made no difference on regular or green. I guess it makes them do the leg grab animation more often? But even that I am not sure.

I just know it was underwhelming and hardly deserving of the name "Shotgun Messiah" cause shotguns ain't saving my ass in this apocalypse!

Maybe change the perk to instead have a strong chance to violently throw them back into ragdoll! A way to hold the swarms at bay?

Does the explosive perk actually work? 100% chance to dismember? Does that work on greens? I don't want to waste more points if it doesn't =,(

Alot of the perks seem disappointing and in some cases downright broken, as you noted.

I have noticed a lot of skills that have "100% chance to do X" ... don't actually have a 100% chance to do so as claimed.

And the rocket launcher is the biggest waste of time / joke ever.

What the heck did they do to it? AFAIK, in A16 it was good. Now it's trash. It used to have great spread and high damage. Now it can barely damage anything even with a direct hit.

Please, make the rocket launcher like the RL in the resident evil series (AKA, deadly) like it should be. Make ammo even more rare if necessary, I want/need a weapon that can just destroy a whole bunch of zombies at once :p

If you want another example of rocket launchers done right, try the RL in killing floor. I'll never forget the first time I ever shot that thing. I was a good 50 ft away and thought hey, this should be far enough away. NOPE. LOL

Anyway, I think the main problem of the RL is that while it technically is the highest damage weapon in the game, it can not take advantage of such things like headshot bonus damage (Unless you manage to land a rocket to a zombies' head) so actually it's kind of weak. RL perks should probably increase its spread and damage. I don't care about crippling, they should be DEAD not crippled lol

As of A17.0 the Explosive Weapons perk doesn't seem to be working for any of the items I tested and I've never seen any updates on the patch notes suggesting its been addressed. I thought it might be fun since I found the XML showed Molotovs as being flagged for the Exp.Weapons perk and don't require gunpowder, but sadly all my tests at the time didn't find any zombies getting stunned or crippled.

(Pipe Bombs, Dynamite and Explosive Crossbow Bolts and Moltovs)

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?103108-Molotov-Cocktails-not-benefitting-from-Explosive-Weapons-perk

Cirion

Yeah I know right? And the worst part is it makes huge holes in the ground, so using it on horde night at base isn't even a good idea. Using it in pio's is bad to because it destroys all the loot containers. And the game can't even do big swarms of enemies, so It's just nearly worthless.

Thank you Gen-Eric (which is a funny name) for telling me not to waste points on explosives! WHY ARE ALL THE WEAPON PERKS SO LAME!? =,(

Cirion

Yeah I know right? And the worst part is it makes huge holes in the ground, so using it on horde night at base isn't even a good idea. Using it in pio's is bad to because it destroys all the loot containers. And the game can't even do big swarms of enemies, so It's just nearly worthless.

Thank you Gen-Eric (which is a funny name) for telling me not to waste points on explosives! WHY ARE ALL THE WEAPON PERKS SO LAME!? =,(

Because unlike what people think, the Perk system was only added in the last few months of development. People think it took the pimps 16 months to write the Perk system but its not. The added a lot of changes to the XML files but never tested out the perk system. This is also why the first Perks that got released all looked so "generic". 10% more, 20% more, 30% more ...

They may have had a idea how the Perk system was supposed to look like with S, A, I ... and how the limits worked. But they never wrote out a full perk tree. Most real RPG games build a total perk tree in advance on paper and try to see how each item interacts on their game before committing on writing the thing. This is why they tend to be balanced from the game release. You can tell from the design and generic nature this did not happen here.

I am a developer by trade and i spend one or even two years in advance to concept design features for any big system. Just from the way the first screenshots came out, i already knew that most of this was only put together a few months before A17E. Because if this was a system that really took them a year and half to develop, my god... not going to hire any Pimp staff in the future :)

Because unlike what people think, the Perk system was only added in the last few months of development. People think it took the pimps 16 months to write the Perk system but its not. The added a lot of changes to the XML files but never tested out the perk system. This is also why the first Perks that got released all looked so "generic". 10% more, 20% more, 30% more ...

They may have had a idea how the Perk system was supposed to look like with S, A, I ... and how the limits worked. But they never wrote out a full perk tree. Most real RPG games build a total perk tree in advance on paper and try to see how each item interacts on their game before committing on writing the thing. This is why they tend to be balanced from the game release. You can tell from the design and generic nature this did not happen here.

I am a developer by trade and i spend one or even two years in advance to concept design features for any big system. Just from the way the first screenshots came out, i already knew that most of this was only put together a few months before A17E. Because if this was a system that really took them a year and half to develop, my god... not going to hire any Pimp staff in the future :)

Yeah I agree with this.

Even some of the seemingly simple ideas that my brother and I have implemented took nearly two years to get right.

It's a slow process.

I don't see these perks working well any time soon.

We're just going to have to be patient.

Also agree with you that TFP seem to have put a lot of focus on getting the system itself to work but haven't done any testing in functionality and certainly didn't spend as much time developing things on paper as others might have.

That's what we're here for though isn't it?

Guinea-Pigs helping them tweak and balance this whole new system.

It's not a bad way to design.

I kind of like being a part of that process.

Just give it a little time for TFP to balance everything out, A17 is still very fresh in development, giving them proper feedback instead of hatespeech is far more effective.

I do try not to give hatespeech, I'm just saying, and countless others here are also saying, that A16's perk system had many great things to it that it's a shame to completely delete from the game. If there's a way to integrate that system with A17's system I think we should do it. Merge the best of both systems together. I'd wager a bet that a good 50% of people disliked A16's system and 50% of people dislike the new system, so this seems to be the only way to appease the majority. Same with gun parts.

If anyone ever played resonance of fate on the PS3 that game was fun to mess around with gun customization. Granted that game was almost entirely about guns, so there is that, but still. We could pretty much have that with this game though if they bring back gun parts and keep the gun mods as well. It's things like that, which are keeping this game from being GREAT (in my opinion). No hate speech, just my opinion. Please don't misunderstand, even for all A17's flaws (IMO) I still enjoy the game, but it could go from GOOD to GREAT with a few tweaks.

Archived