A17 from a console players perspective

sandman2838

I have been a console player of this game since late 2016, and have ridden through the changes, stuck with it even though I was on xbox and the MD5 was about as game breaking a bug as has ever existed. After the announcement of Telltale's closing, and the obvious lack of progress since then, I finally decided to try the computer version. Heck, I even used it as an excuse to by a gaming computer (Ryzen 7-16gb, 4gb graphics) and was amazed when the game first fired up. I was so impressed I almost kicked myself for waiting so long to try the PC version.

I have now played approx. 50 hours in 4 different games, two hosted by another player, one I hosted, and one solo. I got really excited in the first game when I managed to raid a tent camp and found a level 1 hunting rifle. Now this was on my first day, though the game was already on day 8. I put it down to dumb luck, then I found aa pistol in a toilet, a rifle and a shotgun along with enough ammo for a hard day in a farm house.

That game ended for the week and I fired up a solo game. I spawned less than a hundred yards from a military base. Once I finished my intro stuff, I nerd poled up over the fence, sniped the z's then set about scavenging. Now, I admit I did die once due to an "invisible sleeper z" but the actual sleepers are no surprise. I walked out of there with enough guns and ammo to arm a small party, including a sniper lvl2, not to mention the other gear that I would expect to spend a day or two finding.

Now, I'm an old school zombie guy, so I had the zombies set to never run (walk/walk) but that being said, in all four games I had a level 1 or better rifle, a level 1 or better shotgun, a sniper rifle, and an smg before the end of the first day, plus I was level 10 (or better in the multi-player with shared xp).

Now, I understand this is a different game. The skill progression is way different, there are no parts for guns, animals are more scarce, the crafting system is more of a challenge, but really? I find a lot about the PC version I love, like the graphics, and the slower skill progression, but the weapons are way too common in my opinion. I understand the game still needs tweaking, but if your plan with the rework of the skills was to slow down progression to make it tougher, you might want to look at the loot rate for weapons. Personally I preferred finding the schematics, finding the parts and putting them together. True survival, with making do with what you find.

Anyway, this is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions!

The idea about the weapons IS that you find lots of them, but they all suck profoundly without any mods.

Have you tried the marksman aka sniper rifle? Without a scope mod attached it pretty much is not much use as a sniper rifle. The damage without mods might be ok for basic zombies, but if you really want to kill advanced zombies with it you will have to use a lot of ammo.

Each mod you insert into a weapon gives you additional damage (even if it's just a coloring mod). That is additional to the function the mod adds, like a scope or faster targeting.

It is debatable whether weapons should be making even less damage without mods and the damage buff of mods made bigger. I can't really answer that without playing much longer games than I have done yet.

EDIT: Wait until you find a level 4 gun and compare the gun filled with mods to a lvl1 gun of the same type. Compare handling and damage of both guns. Then ask yourself if you are still satisfied with using lvl1 guns.

I understand what you are saying and how the game has gone from putting together a gun to improving it with mods. I am referring to the abundance of guns. So far, I am running with a compound bow, at day 9 with a sledge and machete for backup. My own preference. SBD!

What about it? If we ignore the ammo in them, 1 lvl1 gun is as good as 50 lvl1 guns when fighting a zombie. And one lvl2 gun with a mod installed is better than 50 lvl1 guns.

I play a co-op game with 3 friends and we find lots of lvl1 guns, most of which we immediately scrap. I have a lvl4 SMG, a lvl5 pistol and lvl4 hunting rifles are available, but no ak or marksman rifle above lvl2. And I use the lvl4 SMG because it is the better deal with mods installed (and the lvl4(?) compound bow, with mods installed). I don't care for lvl1 weapons anymore, shooting with them would waste ammo needlessly

And yes, more balancing is needed, but in principle the system works. Having a lvl1 sniper rifle doesn't mean you have progressed very far. It might look that way to you because you look at that weapon with the eyes of an A14 player.

I highly recommend changing the zombies to jog or run. Even run seems like more of a fast walk but it puts a bit more pressure on you when exploring POIs.

I wonder if the game was changed so that guns don’t work at all until all their mod slots are filled that would help people make the transition from assembling parts to assembling mods...

I wonder if the game was changed so that guns don’t work at all until all their mod slots are filled that would help people make the transition from assembling parts to assembling mods...

Would certainly make for some good forum reading while I'm at work lmao

If it was changed that level one guns need at least one mod too (possibly two), that would be a pretty interesting change imo :)

Without that it wouldn't really make a difference as lvl 1 guns would work as soon as you find them.

I highly recommend changing the zombies to jog or run. Even run seems like more of a fast walk but it puts a bit more pressure on you when exploring POIs.

I am giving in and upping the zombie's speed tonight. The fact that there are options other than walk or run is a good change.

As for the gun mods being required, it would keep things a bit more interesting early game. Doesn't much matter to me as early game I am content with SBD, bows seem to work well, but that's my style of play.

Right now, I just trade the guns for meat cause deer are pretty scarce, even the no-hump camel ones :smile-new:

Archived