RWG Traders

ianlee74

Before starting our MP b240 game, I spent probably a full day generating seed previews to find a (high level) map that had the city & biome distribution near the center of the map that I thought would make for a good long-term game. After a couple weeks of playing now, we have found no traders other than the one that we all spawned near that was near the southern edge of the map. Tonight I finally gave in and (cheated) and explored the seed preview in detail to see if there was a trader anywhere near us. Some players were actually starting to miss quests...

1nfiniT3P0w3r_8K.jpg.861037cf7632ce3743648cc77d3629b1.jpg

(seed = 1nfiniT3P0w3r)

After spending an hour or so I found exactly 5 traders on the entire map and most of them were at extreme edges. I remember reading in another thread awhile back that someone else had pointed out that they weren't seeing more than 5 traders, also. I could live with this if they were evenly distributed around the map. However, as you can see their distribution means that a large portion of the map is unlivable if you wish to have traders as part of your game.

Is there a way to increase the number of traders generated? Is there a way to manually place a trader somewhere? Given that we have a good start in the game and everyone is a little tired of restarts at the moment, I have no moral objection to just manually placing a trader in a convenient location to add better distribution.

If the number of traders is fixed at 5 and the distribution is always this bad then the MP game is going to really be hindered on servers with lots of players. Also, in a16 it used to be alot of fun to discover a new trader during a long day of driving. Now the odds of that happening are painfully low. The nerfed commerce system in a17 is enough of a limiter for abuse that there's really no need to so severely limit the number of traders, also.

If you go to the 7 Days to Die folder, under SteamApps > Common, in Data > Worlds > yourworld and then open up the prefabs.xml file, so you can search for "trader" and get the count and coords for each easily. With that said, you can also edit the locations. Delete the region files found in appData > Roaming > 7DaysToDie > Saves > yourworld > yoursave > Region ... and then reload the game. Keep in mind though, you should probably make sure you have good places to move them to. It could take a few tries to get things the way you want. Sometimes you need to set things up better by editing the terrain first. For that, you could try this: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?96089-Editing-Height-Maps

If you go to the 7 Days to Die folder, under SteamApps > Common, in Data > Worlds > yourworld and then open up the prefabs.xml file, so you can search for "trader" and get the count and coords for each easily. With that said, you can also edit the locations. Delete the region files found in appData > Roaming > 7DaysToDie > Saves > yourworld > yoursave > Region ... and then reload the game. Keep in mind though, you should probably make sure you have good places to move them to. It could take a few tries to get things the way you want. Sometimes you need to set things up better by editing the terrain first. For that, you could try this: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?96089-Editing-Height-Maps

Why is the "Modify" always the first answer I see to every problem lately. Sure its a bandaid but do people always "Mod it" every time they see something they don't like? Like does no one have any pride as a gamer anymore? Whatever.

Like I understand for a server you're hosting, you want them to be in relative positions but for single player?

Why is the "Modify" always the first answer I see to every problem lately. Sure its a bandaid but do people always "Mod it" every time they see something they don't like? Like does no one have any pride as a gamer anymore? Whatever.

Like I understand for a server you're hosting, you want them to be in relative positions but for single player?

I see these things as Modding Opportunities.

Also RE your comment:

Pride as a gamer?

Is that really fair?

What makes your way of playing "better" than mine?

In A16 nearly every XML in my game was edited and the game I played wasn't anything like Vanilla.

Furthermore, after day 21 it became considerably harder than anything Vanilla had to offer.

So..... what makes you and your way better?

Same answer as what made my way better...... nothing.

So long as you're not hurting anyone, there's no such thing as having fun wrong.

For now, while the game is being balanced, tweaked, optimized, and outright changed....

... it's the Modding community that's coming to the rescue.

The best part is .... it's optional. No one is forcing you to accept these mods?

If you don't want to Mod then don't.

Just stop crapping on Modders for adjusting the game to their liking.

Just stop crapping on Modders for adjusting the game to their liking.

I don't think he was crapping on modders even though sometimes it may feel or come across that way.

I could be wrong though I just don't think he was doing that.

Modding is a good % of the answers currently because it is in development. I agree on what you are saying but I would like to add that even when it is a finished game people will still mod it for the likes of the individual as not everything they do will be what I like vs what you like vs what they like. So it will still be the answer at the end of it just for now more so.

The 5 traders seems to be somewhat reasonable, or at least when I put it on paper, it seems like it should suffice. Keep in mind also that 8k maps really only have around a 7600 x 7600 playable area due to the 300 meter radiation zone at the borders. I drew an 8 x 8 box and removed a half a unit at the edges. Now, if you give each trader a 2k radius and then fit them into your box, 5 does pretty well at covering the map. I say 2k because of their quests. You could probably squeeze in 9 without having 2k overlaps but then it just seems like there are too many... at least on paper.

@AtomicUs5000 - thanks for you advice. I'll discuss with the group and we'll likely give it a go. I agree with you that 5 traders would be sufficient if they were distributed evenly. However, in this seed 3 are near each other at the northern edge of the map and the other 2 are near each other at the southern edge of the map. This distribution makes a large portion of the map (including the center where we like to relocate) an unreasonable distance from any trader. Frankly, I'd love to see them put traders in cities. What business man with a monopoly on commerce would put his business far outside of where his customers are likely located???

@OnlyMeia - 2 Dukes for you... If you don't have anything useful to add to the original question please go mining instead of responding. You're wasting everyone's time including your own.

I'm thinking a couple of different trader classes would be good. Ones that trade in simple goods, and the others are the typical traders we have now with the large structures and quests. Random gen could place a minimal number of the better traders, and then squeeze in the simple ones in between them. Who knows... perhaps when bandits arrive, we will also get roaming traders.

I'm thinking a couple of different trader classes would be good. Ones that trade in simple goods, and the others are the typical traders we have now with the large structures and quests. Random gen could place a minimal number of the better traders, and then squeeze in the simple ones in between them. Who knows... perhaps when bandits arrive, we will also get roaming traders.

The works REALLY well.

It's exactly what I did in A16 with Mods.

I even made UMA models for new Traders [though they all had the same voice].

Also made each one a different POI.

It worked really well.

Especially if you're playing well past day 100 you kind of need these.

The works REALLY well.

It's exactly what I did in A16 with Mods.

I even made UMA models for new Traders [though they all had the same voice].

Also made each one a different POI.

It worked really well.

Especially if you're playing well past day 100 you kind of need these.

So you actually made a different class of trader? That's pretty cool.

I guess 17.1 or 17.2 will adress this

If you see as i do you can set a simple own rule

You can Spawn a own trader (Dm -> F6 (watch to me) permanent spawn, carefull hard to get rid of them)

But this has 2 needs

* Pay 200 000 Coins for the trader

* The trader expects a decent protection, means a safe spot in a Rconcrete/steel base

Archived