A17 Build 221 stamina increased usage?

pwnzor17

Stamina for the power attack was increased and the primary attack was buffed, but now certain melee perks have changed so once you get them you do extra damage to knocked down enemies with the power attack. The primary attack is much better now so I'd recommend mostly using that and the now actually good bows and guns and then once you get the perks use the power attack as a finishing hit so to speak.

The old problem:

- regular swing was completely pointless in B208 and earlier. it used only a bit more stamina, it did a LOT more damage, and block damage scaling from miner69er only worked on power attacks. left click just wasn't work using...for anything.

The changes:

- stamina cost for power attacks was increased to 50 for most (haven't tried sledge, so dunno if that is higher)

- stamina regen is paused for a second or two after doing a power attack.

- miner69er was changed to apply to all block damage

- basic swing damage was buffed

- several of the strength perks now apply HUGE damage bonuses to power attacks on stunned targets

The apparent intention:

- feels like TFP wants us to use left click for most everything.

- we will basic attack blocks with only an extremely rare power attack (because the stamina freeze and stamina cost will seriously hinder your ability to do anything for a few seconds after)

- combat seems to encourage mostly basic attacks with a power attack as an opener or finisher - but at a risk of not having enough stamina to finish the fight if you aren't careful.

- if you perk melee, power attacks are tactical finishers, to kill a zombie after you knock it down

IMO the changes are a good, sensible direction....not 100% better or worse (some tradeoff both ways).

I'm a bit worried what will happen when i run into an irradiated wight or two in a POI....previously i could sledge power attack it in the head and that almost always knocked it down, allowing me to finish it off without taking the brutal hits it dishes out.

My first playthru of B221, i'm actually playing a strength/endurance/intelligence setup (SP) and skipping agility entirely...something i NEVER felt i could do before this build, because you just needed that reserve stamina. But basic attacks and SexTrex mean stamina feels manageable again.

Yeah just invest in Sexual T-Rex perk and Agility (to up Max Stamina) and you should eventually be able minimize the negative stamina effects of the power attack

Even with SexTrex, that stamina regen PAUSE is brutal. Stamina never stopped regenerating in B208, so a 30-cost power attack regenerated about 12 of its cost back by the time you could swing again. Now the cost is 50 (ish?) AND there is a regen delay for a good 2-4 ticks of regen afterwards, so the cost is 20 higher AND you're missing out on 12-30 stamina regen.

Even with stamina 120 and SexTrex 2, you're not getting 3 (initially) 50-cost power attacks in without a big pause to wait for some regen.

I think no one will be able to play like they did in b208 and spam power attacks. The new direction seems to be that you HAVE to use them judiciously (though I'm wondering how a Stamina 190, Sextrex 5, ergonomic grip melee attacker at level 100 will hold up....they still won't have endless power attacks like in b208 due to paused regen, but I'd imagine they can get in quite a large amount of swings...and weaving in an occasional 2 reg attacks in a row or a brief turn-and-walk for space might let them power attack indefinitely)

Yes, I have also noticed that power attacks now take up half of your stamina bar or better and pause your stamina regen for several seconds. I do believe it remains paused unless you cease all attacking, or at least that has been my experience.

It's just too many random changes. The base complains about one thing so the pimps nerf it out of existence or try to nudge us in a different direction.

I do agree with Lin that the pimps seem to want us to primarily use left click attacks. The good news is that we can always play on 16 until they figure out what direction they want alpha 17 to take. With over 2200 hours I kind of just want to play, not start over every week and have to learn yet another new game. But that's experimental, right?

Archived