Native Linux server (with management scripts)

Alloc

Hello friend... look this error: "/usr/local/lib/7dtd/common.sh: line 186: 9716 Killed nc 127.0.0.1 $TEL_PORT 0<&3" whats problem?

I had the same problem, because I was blind. There is another service on the choosen Port. So the connection is opened (no Connection refused) but get no correct respond. I had a HTTP server listening on the Port and it didnt gave me a reply :D

Sorry Alloc,

I ended up just doing the 7dtd.sh updatescripts before you responded and it broke the install again.. Should of waited :p

Redid everything and now I cant test till a new version is released, says its already up to date

Thanks for all your help! Will test again once new version is released

If you want to try it you can always add the --force parameter and it will "update" regardless of a new version ;)

Also, fixing the system is also possible by simply deleting the folder /etc/init.d and creating a symlink from /etc/init.d to /etc/rc.d/init.d.

hi, as i assume most of the posters here are hosting their own server, i wanted to ask for some experience values regarding performance.

I currently host a public server and sometimes even with just me on the server it is very laggy (Host has a quiet decent quadcore CPU and 8GB of ram)

Any suggested values to improve performance?

Nope, not yet.

For now you could only work around by using sudo and allow that single use to just run commands that start with "7dtd.sh start" (and "kill" respectively) as root. I.e. your control panel would run "sudo 7dtd.sh start <instance>" as the normal user.

Hello All,

I have been trying to add an admin to my server. When i update the admins.xml in the game directory '/home/sdtd/instances/gamename/admins.xml' and then restart the game server it reverts back to factory. is there a way to make it stick or is there a telnet command to add admins that will update the admins.xml file?

For editing the file manually you have to shutdown the server *first*, then edit the file and start the server again. The server always writes this file on shutdown so it overwrites your changes if you did them prior to shutdown.

A short explanation on managing the file by console (Telnet, Control Panel, in game): Console Commands: Managing permissions by commands

- Chris

Nope, not yet.

For now you could only work around by using sudo and allow that single use to just run commands that start with "7dtd.sh start" (and "kill" respectively) as root. I.e. your control panel would run "sudo 7dtd.sh start <instance>" as the normal user.

Worked Thanks!

Anyway to run the start/stop as a user?

Been trying to make this run with my gaming control panel but my problem is the start/stop has do be run as root

My gamecontrol panel doesnt allow that and will only start/stop as client/user

Thanks!

Hi, this would not be so much work, as far as i remember there is nothing which really needs to be executed as root.

I know a colleague which has rewritten the scripts to run as non root user.

Would you be interested in such thing?

The problem is less a matter of how much work rewriting it is but how to roll out an update so that people won't have to complain about stuff not working etc ;)

Also there aren't any *serious* security issues (the game runs as non-root anyway) but the hooks right now so it's just not top priority for myself.

I have a 2Gb server running debian 7 with 2GB of ram on an ssd 40Gb drive with 2vcpus. When I have 4 people log in my load goes to around 3.5 to 3.67 but I was wondering if that is normal or is there a way i can tweak it so i can have 4 people play on a 2Gb debian server?

I did notice the tdtd process was using 130-160% cpu of top. anything I can provide or help I would appreciate very much.

Thanks

Nope, that would break other things like FRTs server manager.

Makes more sense from a usability point of view lots of players have used minecraft, who wants to open a console to enter a command when its quicker to do it in chat. Hell even tab complete names and commands is something I'd like to see in the 7dtd chat when it starts getting better.

Farts server manager can just adapt to something that is better for everyone.

another thing is telnet seems to crash, well it doesn't respond anymore, server continues to work but connecting to telnet just stops. Works fine after restart, but seems to die off at some point.

2014.09.12 03:05:01: Telnet connection from: 127.0.0.1:50302

2014.09.12 03:05:02: Telnet executed "lpe" from: 127.0.0.1:50302

2014.09.12 03:05:03: Telnet executed "lpe" from: 127.0.0.1:50302

2014.09.12 03:05:05: Time: 22.51m FPS: 60.37 Heap: 414.0MB Max: 553.7MB Chunks: 462 CGO: 38 Ply: 1 Zom: 1 Ent: 8 (178) Items: 20

2014.09.12 03:05:05: STATS: 22.51,60.37,414.0,553.7,462,38,1,1,8,178,20

2014.09.12 03:05:05: Telnet connection interrupted: 127.0.0.1:50302

2014.09.12 03:05:05: Telnet connection interrupted: 127.0.0.1:50302

I have a 2Gb server running debian 7 with 2GB of ram on an ssd 40Gb drive with 2vcpus. When I have 4 people log in my load goes to around 3.5 to 3.67 but I was wondering if that is normal or is there a way i can tweak it so i can have 4 people play on a 2Gb debian server?

I did notice the tdtd process was using 130-160% cpu of top. anything I can provide or help I would appreciate very much.

Thanks

While I was playing with 2 of my friends on the vps which has 3vcpus, ssd drive and 4g ram, its load went around 0.8~1.2. When someone explored and entered many new chunks, it went more and more but we don't feel any serious problem during our play.

On the other hand, when I do the same with another vps (2vcpus, hdd, 2g ram. same company), it was always swapping. There was also considerably high latency and we got difficulty in picking up the items.

Though it depends on what parts (cpus, rams, and so on) my company is offering and how many people are sharing the original cpu (which I can't know), I dare say your situation is normal.

Have you tried running the 7dtd process with nice command? If you are running other processes it might help a little.

Maybe you could tweak sysctl variables, however, it won't change the things dramatically since these parameters are already optimized most of the time...

Sorry for not being very helpful and my EngRish. Good luck with it :)

i totally understand why you did not do it untill now ;) I was just offering to ask the guy i know to provide his assistance ;)

Yeah, I know, and I'm grateful for that ;)

I wouldn't mind looking at his solution. I won't promise to change anything soon though (primarily because of the aforementioned issues with rolling out such an update with the current update system).

Well, 2 GiB RAM in total is a bit scarce though it could work. I would assume for 4 players it should be fine. CPU depends on what it actually is and if the cores are shared with other virtual machines on the same host or not. Two cores should be ok for 4 players if they are neither shared nor to old (i.e. too low power).

Makes more sense from a usability point of view lots of players have used minecraft, who wants to open a console to enter a command when its quicker to do it in chat. Hell even tab complete names and commands is something I'd like to see in the 7dtd chat when it starts getting better.

There's lots of things people want to see, doesn't make it any better at interoperability if I change existing stuff to something completely different.

Farts server manager can just adapt to something that is better for everyone.

Not sure if that was on purpose but you might want to show a little bit more respect to others...

another thing is telnet seems to crash, well it doesn't respond anymore, server continues to work but connecting to telnet just stops. Works fine after restart, but seems to die off at some point.

Yeah, might have been a "bit" less stable in the new multithreaded design (especially when creating/closing new connections very often), should hopefully be stable now again.