Die logout, die again log out again....

Hammerofheaven

So, with a full real-life hour for the death debuff, I find I am not really playing the game anymore.

I logged in last night to do a quest, I ran into some sort of boss hog and was killed by it. So, I failed the quest and had the full real life one-hour death debuff. I logged out because I have better things to do with my time than deal with this being castrated for an hour because I wanted to explore the game. Failing the quest and having to run back for my gear is a sufficient penality without not being able to craft the stuff I want to craft being gimped for a RL hour.

I logged in tonight, still have the death debuff... Climbed out of my base and immediately died because I evidently spawned back in with 9 health and there was a dog at the bottom. I logged out again.

I do not think I am going to play this game anymore until the death debuff is drastically changed. At the very least it needs to be a configuable option. My wife has been having a worse time of it than me, I do not think see has experienced the game at all without the debuff affecting her.

Neither of us really have all that much time to play games these days and it is demoralizing and not fun at all to be punished like this in a game which has marketed itself as a sandbox survival basebuilding game. It does not feel like there is any base building or sand box left in it. That is all hiding behind the survival.

I get the devs to have a real thing for this death debuff, but I don't like it, and I have plenty of things which compete for my time. I will check back in sometime later to see if the devs are going to do anything. However, I think I am going to shut down my server because most people have left it (death penality being sighted as a big reason) and it was mostly my wife and I left.

There are a lot of other things out there which are a lot more fun.

Alpha 17 looks like a great patch. I waited over a year for it. It is too bad most of it is hidden behind some bad design choices like the death debuff...

It's something that needs to be moved from the earlier difficulty levels into the harder difficulties honestly. The system is interesting but only for those that are more hardcore and would get value from such a thing. Those that are more casual and don't have time for such things would be better served as having it disabled when you choose one of the easier difficulties.

Those that love the penalty would still be able to find it in the harder difficulties.

Or make it so that the debuff lasts shorter for each step of difficulty that you go down with the full hour being only on insane.

If standing around doing nothing while you wait for a bar to fill up is what they're going for in terms of design then I think we're probably prepping for a mobile version? Because that's what we do in mobile games stand around for an hour while we wait for our stamina to go back to full so we can play for a short burst.

This is PC gaming and we don't need such things here.

I just logged back in (because... you know... I hate myself...) and died as soon as I came in. I do not even know what killed me this time. So, yeah, 3x stacked debuff... I guess I will just stay tabbed out and look at trying to give it a go once it is gone....

The pathetic thing is that I really really want to enjoy this game...

It doesn't help with the cop-out cheap kills the game pulls, like "SURPRISE DOGS". I literally just died to "Surprise wolves" while clearing a tent camp for to use an intact chem station. I damn near survived 'surprise zombie bears and dogs" as I came out of my mine in the desert. I climb out, check my six and there's a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥ing zombie bear and a half dozen dogs.

The only reason I got away from that and not the wolves was because the wolves put a bleed on me as I got on my bike. It's day 27. I can't do crap de-leveled on day 27.

Never mind the fact armor gimps the crap out of you.

I just logged back in (because... you know... I hate myself...) and died as soon as I came in. I do not even know what killed me this time. So, yeah, 3x stacked debuff... I guess I will just stay tabbed out and look at trying to give it a go once it is gone....

The pathetic thing is that I really really want to enjoy this game...

I've heard about the 1 hour long debuff. So you got 3x stacked debuff? Do you know if it's 3 hours total or does the timer all run concurrently? I've only died 2 times but I'm only level 4 so I don't think I've seen the debuff yet. Speaking of deaths, first time I kept becoming stuck on the furniture so I don't know what the heck was up with that. 2nd death I kept missing even though the animation weapon looked like it hit the target. Not sure about the new melee system. It is definitely not intuitive like in A16.

I agree that the 1 hour long debuff should be an option. Casual players could turn it off or reduce the timer while extreme/hardcore players can choose the longest time.

They should also change it that if you have the 1 hour debuff and you logoff for 1 hour or longer and then log back on, the debuff should be gone.

It shouldn't exist at all in the game. It's in the buffs.xml file, just mod it out. There is also a numeric value in there defining the amount of time that it lasts and you can lower it to 1 minute if you want. Eventually the Pimps will realize that players aren't going to deal with hobbling around for an hour of game play and they will most likely remove it or replace it with something less annoying. You will most likely have to do this after every update.

Yeah, I've had 'surprise' 3 Z's, 4 snakes and 2 vultures all on me in an instant. If your stamina is gone within 2 swipes of your club then what hope do you have?

Do I need to nerd-pole up above every site to scout it out before I enter? Realistic playing? Immersion breaking? Fun?

Archived