Can I run a game from a NAS hard drive?

tommymsw

Me and my brother both have legal copies of this game and play in LAN only. Is it possible to keep the "saves" folder for the world we play on a NAS device? So each of us can play alone if the other is not around? As it is now, I can't play without turning his game on and his guy will just starve while I play.

I know only ONE of us can run it at a time, i'd just like each of us to be able to play when the other is not home.

NAS hard drives are a bit slower than normal drives which are also slow too. So running the game on that kind of hard drive isn't recommended, but I'm not even sure you can host a game on a NAS device which is what I'm assuming you're referring to.

What I would recommend, is to host a dedicated game on a separate computer (anything quad core or better with 6GB of ram or better should handle it just fine, does not need fancy graphics card at all). This allows you and your brother to play any time separately or together and you can leave it active 24/7 if you wanted. I think you can have it LAN only, but if not, just password protect it and you'll be fine. Because it's just the 2 of you, you don't need a powerful computer to host the game. And by host the game, I don't mean load the game the normal way either, I mean there's an actual way of making a dedicated server. Simply go into Steam, click on Library / Tools, look up "7 Days to Die Dedicated Server", install it and run that on a separate computer. If you have a really powerful computer, you might be able to get away with hosting it on the same computer you play on, but it's not at all recommended, especially if you don't have it on an SSD.

NAS hard drives are a bit slower than normal drives which are also slow too. So running the game on that kind of hard drive isn't recommended, but I'm not even sure you can host a game on a NAS device which is what I'm assuming you're referring to.

What I would recommend, is to host a dedicated game on a separate computer (anything quad core or better with 6GB of ram or better should handle it just fine, does not need fancy graphics card at all). This allows you and your brother to play any time separately or together and you can leave it active 24/7 if you wanted. I think you can have it LAN only, but if not, just password protect it and you'll be fine. Because it's just the 2 of you, you don't need a powerful computer to host the game. And by host the game, I don't mean load the game the normal way either, I mean there's an actual way of making a dedicated server. Simply go into Steam, click on Library / Tools, look up "7 Days to Die Dedicated Server", install it and run that on a separate computer. If you have a really powerful computer, you might be able to get away with hosting it on the same computer you play on, but it's not at all recommended, especially if you don't have it on an SSD.

I know I can grab the save file off his PC and move it to mine when I play, but that is a pain. So if I only have the SAVE file on the NAS, that will slow down the game? I assumed the save file just gave the game the info to start it, I didn't think it played FROM the save file. I was just hoping I could load from the save file on the NAS and load THAT game. I m for sure not going to get another PC and run it to do this. :)

I don't think Fox was suggesting you buy a computer but was saying if you had lying one around. I myself had 2 older computers sitting around. One I actually use now as my own server for testing mods for 7 days and Ark.

Fox, I was wondering myself about if an old laptop (not real old of course :)) would work as a server. I am sure I have seen post of people saying they use them on here to play but they have to have everything turned down a notch or 2. So was wondering if as it didn't need fancy GC and such could it work as a server.

I know I can grab the save file off his PC and move it to mine when I play, but that is a pain. So if I only have the SAVE file on the NAS, that will slow down the game? I assumed the save file just gave the game the info to start it, I didn't think it played FROM the save file. I was just hoping I could load from the save file on the NAS and load THAT game. I m for sure not going to get another PC and run it to do this. :)

The game is constantly reading and writing to the save file, so it may affect performance quite a bit by having it on an external NAS server.

Out of curiosity, how powerful is your computer / brother's computer? What are the specs, cuz maybe one of you might be able to pull off hosting dedicated and playing on the same computer?

I don't think Fox was suggesting you buy a computer but was saying if you had lying one around. I myself had 2 older computers sitting around. One I actually use now as my own server for testing mods for 7 days and Ark.

Fox, I was wondering myself about if an old laptop (not real old of course :)) would work as a server. I am sure I have seen post of people saying they use them on here to play but they have to have everything turned down a notch or 2. So was wondering if as it didn't need fancy GC and such could it work as a server.

Yes, that is what I meant... it's definitely not worth buying a computer just to host a game once in a while. And yes, you can use an older laptop to host a game, I did it for a while until I built a wall mounted dedicated game server. Just keep in mind that the laptop will more than likely get really hot and possibly even overheat and crash... so maybe verify how hot it gets and/or invest in an external fan like the one I have (Opolar LC06) which works amazing for me. Those cooling pads with fans in them that go under the laptop are a joke in my opinion and do nothing at all in terms of cooling.

The game is constantly reading and writing to the save file, so it may affect performance quite a bit by having it on an external NAS server.

Out of curiosity, how powerful is your computer / brother's computer? What are the specs, cuz maybe one of you might be able to pull off hosting dedicated and playing on the same computer?

Yes, that is what I meant... it's definitely not worth buying a computer just to host a game once in a while. And yes, you can use an older laptop to host a game, I did it for a while until I built a wall mounted dedicated game server. Just keep in mind that the laptop will more than likely get really hot and possibly even overheat and crash... so maybe verify how hot it gets and/or invest in an external fan like the one I have (Opolar LC06) which works amazing for me. Those cooling pads with fans in them that go under the laptop are a joke in my opinion and do nothing at all in terms of cooling.

I guess maybe I could host it on mine 24/7. But we play so infrequently... Is it difficult to set up?

And can either of you help with THIS? https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?92723-Lost-my-clothes-backing-up-game

Archived