Horde Lore + New SI

Avelon

Zombies aren't just stupid shambling undead in this game. We can tell for example that due to them being virus type zeds, they can and do still feel pain and have some awareness of their own bodies. Beginning to crawl immediately after losing a leg, for example, or searching for the source of an attack from the direction it came from.

I think that the existence of screamers also proves an important and usable point: the zed share a rudimentary hivemind. It isn't merely that she attracts zed with her scream; if that were the case they would investigate her first and be greatly distracted by her as she continued to scream. No, they are responding to a directive that she is sending: "target is there."

Cops can still shoot and footballers can still tackle. Muscle memory does not account for that, but nor does it seem that the zed have memories. They have instinct and coordinate semi-intelligently with one another. Which brings me to my idea.

A new Feral Zed type with a higher degree of intelligence, capable of giving other Zed directives. This is rather basic; little more than 'attack here' and 'go there', but that is enough for this 'general' to direct the horde toward the door 5 blocks to the side rather than the 3 blocks deep of concrete they are banging on. It allows one Zed to find more complex pathing and then bring the horde with him up several flights of stairs. It allows the horde to focus on a 2x2 area to dig straight down for underground bunkers - and it allows the player to eliminate this threat of advanced intelligence.

The General will act like a normal zed when out in the open - if the player is nearby and can be reached he will shamble/run toward you. If however the player cannot be reached, he will keep his distance and circle the player location, searching for a way to get to the player. If none can be found, he will actually leave... But if this happens, he is GUARANTEED to spawn on the next horde night. Similarly if the player is in a fortified position, he will not attack alone. He is aware of static defenses that are visible and will not plough into them like normal zed. And if he is low on health, he will attempt to escape.

Only 1 general can spawn per wave on horde night, in case several of them scouted your base then left during the week.

This takes care of:

- spike trap mazes that aren't too complex

- underground bases, without creating the Swiss cheese effect

- hordes running in circles directly below you (he will set them to task attacking walls and support structures after getting as close to you as possible)

It also means that a horde is more likely to focus on one spot, minimizing their casualties from spike traps before getting to the wall.

What do you guys think of this?

Yes? Excellent. If that is the case, this 'general' could then serve a slightly different purpose:

- increases horde coherency, zeds will split into groups and focus on 2 or 3 points, but will attack the same blocks as the rest of the zed in their own group.

- possibly slightly increase limit on how many zed are spawned in and alive at any given time on horde night.

- becomes the new leader of the traveling horde when it is comprised of zed rather than wolves/dogs.

- enables zed to use their fast attack that is typically reserved for when players are very close by (ever notice they break things down faster as you approach, even if you are undetected?) to target a structure

Any other ideas on how a leader type zombie might increase the effectiveness of his hordemates short of actually boosting stats? I don't think I'd be down for a stat boost.

Maybe 'Horde Leader' could have some rudimentary ability to recognize a trap? Once ten/five/three zombies (depending) have died to the same static object like spikes or a blade trap, that block has a lower attack priority than surrounding blocks if there is a Leader present. If there are no approaches without spikes/blades it just picks the weakest one and directs an attack against it until it's destroyed.

• 4 weeks later...

I would disagree with this suggestion. This makes the game too much "any-non-zombie-game-where-lots-of-people-attack". I'm all in for some zombies with, say, better pathfinding, better concrete penetration or ability to crouch and temporarily crawl through 1 tile high holes. But zombie general is something that feels very alien in the game I like and play. If you want an opponent that targets your weak spots on sight, play pvp ;)

Archived