Things I'd like in A17, or more likely A17.x

Scyris

1: Skill's locked behind books being buyable with skill points, and also scrapping skill books gives an item that when you get 5 of them, it can be crafted into an item to award 1 skill point, this way scrapping books you don't need gives something more useful than 1 measly piece of paper.

2: A silencer for the shotgun, they do exist. Actually I'd like the shotgun to be made better in general, Its headshot mult is currently too low.

3: A volume slider for non-player voices, so I can mute the damn zombies that screech as they swing at nothing or the wall. Seriously in A16 I hate waking up sleepers in a poi as the slightest sound will wake them up 2 floors above, and then they make such a racket and they never seem to stop. Might be less of an issue in A17 as they might actually be smart enough now to dig down 2 floors down to get to you.

4: A volume slider for player sound effects, as many of them are way to loud for what they are.

5: Expanded options in general, like the mentioned volume sliders, but for world gen, Ark survival evolved for example has a large number of sliders to modify the world in ways when you start a new game. Idea's for what could go there: grass density, spawn amount, lots of other settings.

6: Proper mod support, so we can put files in a override folder that matches the file paths the archvies used to replace that for example: sound in game. Simmlar to how bethesda games do it.

7: I hope the game is better at loading stuff, like, if you use some of the bigger mods like ravenhearst or war of the walkers, for some reason the game feels the need to load literally everything into memory, when it should only be loading it what it needs, and loading on the fly in what is needed when new things are encountered. I feel this is probally one of the biggest performance hurdles the game has, as it just loads so much junk into memory that is not needed at that time. I'm no programmer though, its just what i've noticed.

8: Release it for everyone insted of for the streamers first then everyone else a few days later. Really pisses me and others off when a company pulls a stunt like this. Why should some idiot on twitch get special early access to it.

1: Why not instead have traders offer all kinds of recipes at a very high price? 100k or so. You'd still need a long time to get them all, but it is a lot more immersive than the abstract mechanic of unlocking recipes with skill points, and the recipes you go for have no particular control over the way you play.

2: Shotgun is fine when the skill is max level and the quality of the weapon is good. Low quality shotguns combined with low skill are absurdely weak, though. The progression curve should set in at a higher damage.

3: Don't need it personally.

4: See 3

5: Been suggesting that for ages, add a new page in the menu "Advanced option", sliders for all kinds of things you can only control with XML edits atm. First and foremost: Zombie speed, zombie damage, zombie health. Zombie speed somewhere in the middle between vanilla's walk and run makes such a big difference, and increasing zombie damage without increasing zombie health is also a great way to reasonably increase difficulty.

6: Absolutely.

7: Got no issue with loading times, don't play other mods much, though. Better performance is obviously "agreeable".

8: It's a publicity stunt, but yeah, it's questionable because it actually only works because people, who already have the game, are hyped because the update took so damn long. It's like the loyal fans get punished for being excited. PR simply isn't the company's strong suit.

• 2 weeks later...

For #8 streamers reach tens of thousands of people, many whom don't own the game. It's just free advertising, and they are only getting it 3 days before everyone else.

Plus the streamers are not getting the final version we are. They are getting the internal build while they finish working on the bugs. So if the streamers weren't getting it on Friday, you STILL wouldn't get it on Monday until the bugs are fixed and they are ready to release it. So streamers getting it early isn't effecting when everyone else gets it.

For #8 streamers reach tens of thousands of people, many whom don't own the game. It's just free advertising, and they are only getting it 3 days before everyone else.
Would it be a bad idea to give it to everybody at the same day, particularly when the streamers are only getting it 3 days early? If so, how?

Plus the streamers are not getting the final version we are. They are getting the internal build while they finish working on the bugs. So if the streamers weren't getting it on Friday, you STILL wouldn't get it on Monday until the bugs are fixed and they are ready to release it. So streamers getting it early isn't effecting when everyone else gets it.
My information is that the version the streamers get is the same version the players get, cept that Roland said some devs might kinda like "voluntarily" fix bugs they might see on streams. But the official reason players get the game 3 days later is that the company's employees don't work over the weekend, and they want to be available to fix bugs when the reports flood in. Cuz the fans, who actually download the buggy experimental are also free bug testers. A privilege we earned somehow, I guess. :-D

Would it be a bad idea to give it to everybody at the same day, particularly when the streamers are only getting it 3 days early? If so, how?

My information is that the version the streamers get is the same version the players get, cept that Roland said some devs might kinda like "voluntarily" fix bugs they might see on streams. But the official reason players get the game 3 days later is that the company's employees don't work over the weekend, and they want to be available to fix bugs when the reports flood in. Cuz the fans, who actually download the buggy experimental are also free bug testers. A privilege we earned somehow, I guess. :-D

It's been said repeatedly they are getting the internal build that they are still fixing bugs on. Same as it happened for A16. When streamers got A16 there were still major bugs they were working on, many restarts by the streamers were required, etc. However even if the only reason is they aren't available to fix bugs on the weekend it's still a good reason and proof again that when we get to play is unaffected by the streamers.

Also again, streamers are providing a service by providing visibility. In exchange they are given the game a whole 3 days earlier as incentive to stream 7 days to die over other games they might be streaming instead. The build they are playing is very buggy, so it would be a nightmare if tens of thousands of people got that build while they still had a big list of known issues to fix, thats why.

Your information is 100% wrong.

It is actually 100% right, Brian.

It's been said repeatedly they are getting the internal build that they are still fixing bugs on. Same as it happened for A16. When streamers got A16 there were still major bugs they were working on, many restarts by the streamers were required, etc.

I gotta assume that it's been said repeatedly by Brians. Or do you have any links to provide, where staff says what you claim? I got my information from the FAQ of the stream-event post:

Q: If the game is good enough for streamers to show it, isn’t it good enough for players to play it?

A: The version the streamers will be playing will be the same release candidate we plan for the whole community (who wish to test experimental) to get. But we have found that releasing an experimental version on a Monday is much better for us to be able to respond quickly and effectively with hotfixes and get new builds out to you that play better. The whole team isn’t always available on the weekend to address showstoppers but on that Monday we’ll be ready.

Richard "The Fun Pimp" is the other Huenink brother, right..? It also kinda makes sense, I mean, if they don't set a release date and a version on some random Friday still has "major bugs", why not wait another week? Fix the major bugs, so the stream event, that's supposed to advertise the game, doesn't make it look like the game is a buggy mess.

Also again, streamers are providing a service by providing visibility. In exchange they are given the game a whole 3 days earlier as incentive to stream 7 days to die over other games they might be streaming instead. The build they are playing is very buggy, so it would be a nightmare if tens of thousands of people got that build while they still had a big list of known issues to fix, thats why.

If the build is so buggy, yet the bugs can be fixed over the weekend (without having "the whole team [...] available"), why not postpone a big advertisement event for another week? It is improbable that "major bugs" and a "big list of known issues" can actually be fixed within three days. So if the devs wanted to release a build without those bugs and without those issues, they would fix these things before a stream event. Which would be no problem, because they do not provide a date for the event. My information, on top of it all, says that the whole team isn't available on the weekend. If such a large number of bugs needed fixing within such a discrete time window, working with less than a full team would be "unwise".

I'll be happy to post links later tonight. Roland and several others said so repeatedly so clearly there is some conflicting info which is why I edited my post.

However in the end it doesn't matter. TFP see a value in giving streamers a 3 day headstart, you don't. Clearly your opinion isn't going to be changed .

In the end however no matter what you wouldn't be able to play till the Monday as they won't release the update to everyone on a Friday

I'll be happy to post links later tonight. Roland and several others said so repeatedly so clearly there is some conflicting info which is why I edited my post.

Don't bother if those posts say something along the lines of

Roland said some devs might kinda like "voluntarily" fix bugs they might see on streams
I'm aware of that.

However in the end it doesn't matter. TFP see a value in giving streamers a 3 day headstart, you don't. Clearly your opinion isn't going to be changed .

I do see the value. For the company and the streamers. There is no benefit for the players. They're getting that short end of the stick, which isn't very nice. It is also just a theory that a stream event with the game being released to everybody would not work. Most players would find the time to watch their favorite streamer playing, free keys are a nice incentive. Maybe "even" spend a couple bucks to get bigger streamers involved. On the other hand, I heard a couple people say they won't watch streams because they don't want to get spoilered. Probably not a particularly prominent reason, though.

something that hasn't been done so far.

In the end however no matter what you wouldn't be able to play till the Monday as they won't release the update to everyone on a Friday

It's not "no matter what". It's a company decision to hold the game back till Monday, not a cosmic law. And it is a decision that is bad for the players. Even if noone would work over the weekend, no bug would be fixed until Monday, you, me, that guy over there and his mother would love to get the experimental on a Friday. Besides that, as I said before, it would be perfectly reasonable for the company to ask of it's employees to work that one release weekend.

Except again they aren't holding the game back. They are choosing to release on a Monday when everyone will be in the office to fix bugs.

The date has nothing to do at all with streamers and is normal for development. No one likes to release major updates before holidays.

Some people such as yourself get annoyed by it. Many others such as myself shrug our shoulders because 3 days isn't exactly a big deal.

Except again they aren't holding the game back. They are choosing to release on a Monday when everyone will be in the office to fix bugs.
When the game is ready to go on a Friday, then it is held back until Monday. I mean... I find it fascinating how people can actually argue against that.

The date has nothing to do at all with streamers and is normal for development. No one likes to release major updates before holidays.
Except the players, because then they have time to play. After the holidays, they have to go to work.

Some people such as yourself get annoyed by it. Many others such as myself shrug our shoulders because 3 days isn't exactly a big deal.
It doesn't annoy me 1 bit, but if I decide to discuss the issue, I apply logic, reason and stick to the truth. Many others don't. I often wonder why these decide to discuss at all. What do you think?

Hello, i am a dedicated 7d2d player. And with my time playing the teams great game, I noticed some stuff that i'd like to address.

-can you please add more vehicles that can spawn? (Like vans and trucks etc.)

-can you also update the cook time for the pipe bombs, their range, and their physics in general. (For a Friend)

-maybe even integrating ride able vehicles as well, that would be very interesting. That would in my opinion give the game a wider spectrum of creativity and play-ability.

Thanks, Message back if you want.

Use this link to post your dreams:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=10

Archived