AMD GPU compatibility?

rhud1979

So I'm getting ready to finally put together a new gaming rig... and I wanted to get some input. I remember reading some threads a long while back about there being compatibility issues with 7d2d and AMD graphics cards/drivers, but haven't noticed any such posts lately. Is that because everyone finally wised up and stopped using them, or have the issues maybe been resolved?

Just want to know what my options are... I have no problem sticking with Nvidia, but if the driver issues with my favorite game have been resolved then that opens up some other possibilities when picking up equipment. I'm not interested in a general AMD vs Nvidia debate, just whether or not the specific issues within this game have been resolved. Thanks

AMD GPU's, and CPU's have a history of driver compatibility problems. I'm not saying Nvidia hasn't either, but the difference between number of issues is pretty great. I typically hear about driver issues with AMD CPU's about once every year, and with GPU's about every third update. Never hear about issues with Intel CPU's unless it's the old mobile platform before the quad-core CPU's. I forget the name of it now. Nvidia's drivers have an issue with a "Game Ready" update about once a year. I don't personally consider those stable releases anyway since they're mostly just hot patches to streamline specific game titles. In the past 5 years, I've run into a major compatibility issue about 3 times.

Also, Intel/Nvidia chipsets are designed to be powerhouses. AMD has always been faster, but it cannot take a heavy load. So really, it all depends on what you want to do.

If you aren't going to be playing with bleeding edge stuff that is pushing the limits of resources, AMD is a fine choice and is often cheaper.

However, if you require something more meaty, I strongly recommend going with Intel and Nvidia.

I always use cars for comparison. AMD is like a corvette. Fast, and seats two comfortably. Intel is like a Dodge Magnum. Nearly as fast, but has the room/overhead to take the whole family and some luggage.

Keep in mind, this is all my own opinion. It is however based on experience building, designing, and troubleshooting systems for the past 30 years. I've also been Alpha testing games and working with developers since roughly 1995.

CPUs both AMD and Intel have NEVER had a driver issue with any game EVER. Hell, they both use the exact same AMDx64 driver. Only the GPUs are able to have driver issues with games. The graphics part of APUs are no exception either which is why I avoid those. It's also part of why I avoid Intel too, since all Intel CPUs are APUs except for Xeons which are server CPUs which cost more for less gaming performance.

Also, AMD generally has much higher cores than Intel... so I think you're getting your "luggage" mixed up. Also, the per core speed differences between Intel and AMD are almost negligible now. And with the news of Intel taking steps back in CPU development and refusing to make any improvements for the next 2 years is causing AMD's market share to skyrocket while Intel's market share drop drastically. AMD is already planning for 7nm CPUs while Intel is stubbornly sticking to 14nm which is twice the size and half the potential.

Anyways, I think the devs have resolved most if not all the driver related issues with AMD graphics cards as I too don't remember seeing any topics relating to it in years. That said, I'd still stick with Nvidia just because they have the dominance in gaming support and likely always will. So if you find a new Alpha based game to play, you know Nvidia is likely to not let you down, whereas AMD graphics has a much higher chance to have issues.

since all Intel CPUs are APUs except for Xeons

Saying an Intel chipset is like an APU is like saying that an APU is like a GPU. I played 7 Days for a year on my AMD A8-3870 APU and had fair-to-decent performance. Then I got an older GPU with 352 CUDA cores and 1GB VRAM and got a huge performance gain.

I would agree with the gist of a CPU is a CPU, and a GPU is a GPU. From reading on the forums I mainly see problems with NVidia drivers, that are easily solved by rolling back to the previous version or getting the driver without GeForce Experience.

Brass tacks: Get your GPU based on specs vs cost rather than brand, because software(drivers) can be changed for free.

Saying an Intel chipset is like an APU is like saying that an APU is like a GPU. I played 7 Days for a year on my AMD A8-3870 APU and had fair-to-decent performance. Then I got an older GPU with 352 CUDA cores and 1GB VRAM and got a huge performance gain.

I would agree with the gist of a CPU is a CPU, and a GPU is a GPU. From reading on the forums I mainly see problems with NVidia drivers, that are easily solved by rolling back to the previous version or getting the driver without GeForce Experience.

Brass tacks: Get your GPU based on specs vs cost rather than brand, because software(drivers) can be changed for free.

It is what it is. An APU is a CPU and GPU combined. I don't invent the language. Some APUs are slightly better than others, but in my opinion, they're all more of a hassle than they're worth.

And yes, GeForce Experience has never really been that good. I myself never use it and never recommend others to use it either. I do like Precision XOC though.

And true... but in the case of games, unfortunately, the popular brand GPU usually wins at receiving better support. If you're a patient person, then you'll probably eventually be able to play as well as the others... but not everyone wants to wait. MSI vs Zotac vs EVGA may be meaningless for the most part, but Nvidia vs AMD does actually matter to a lot of ppl.

It is what it is. An APU is a CPU and GPU combined. I don't invent the language. Some APUs are slightly better than others, but in my opinion, they're all more of a hassle than they're worth.

And yes, GeForce Experience has never really been that good. I myself never use it and never recommend others to use it either. I do like Precision XOC though.

And true... but in the case of games, unfortunately, the popular brand GPU usually wins at receiving better support. If you're a patient person, then you'll probably eventually be able to play as well as the others... but not everyone wants to wait. MSI vs Zotac vs EVGA may be meaningless for the most part, but Nvidia vs AMD does actually matter to a lot of ppl.

Price becomes more of a factor now due to the amount of people wasting GPU's on crypto-mining. If a person can save a few hundred bucks for a meager drop in specs, I would think most people would go for the bargain. Not because of support, or the fact they might have to roll back a driver for a month, but because n00bs are buying the priciest, name-brand GPUs, just like they have been spending $100+ for a pair of jeans for decades.

Kind of like how human's don't see in 4k at 240MHz, or how liquid cooling is crap. People do dumb crap just to seem cool or show off expensive junk.

Price becomes more of a factor now due to the amount of people wasting GPU's on crypto-mining. If a person can save a few hundred bucks for a meager drop in specs, I would think most people would go for the bargain. Not because of support, or the fact they might have to roll back a driver for a month, but because n00bs are buying the priciest, name-brand GPUs, just like they have been spending $100+ for a pair of jeans for decades.

Kind of like how human's don't see in 4k at 240MHz, or how liquid cooling is crap. People do dumb crap just to seem cool or show off expensive junk.

lol, I don't know how to respond to all that... so I'll just walk away from this one and hope everyone else knows better.

100% agree with this comment. That is some of the worst bloat I have ever seen, and half the time it doesn't even put the settings correct for your system specs. Usually it over-shoots and you end up with 30FPS.

Archived