Blood moon Z count - what's the highest for decent FPS?

FailFailWin

So, let's assume singleplayer for now, obviously multiplying this by multiplayer will cause more issues.

I currently have a pretty solid rig with a 4790k and 1080ti, no OC, SSD, 16gb ram. not the best, but pretty solid, and I'm planning upgraded everything once intel gen 9/nvidia gen 11 launch.

What kind of blood moon count starts causing people problems with FPS? I'm assuming I might get a bit more leeway than the average rig, but could I be wrong on that? What are people's experiences?

As with (I'm imagining) most people I'd prefer to increase the zombie count than the bullet spongy-ness...

CPU and RAM are going to be your major FPS killers there, and your texture/UMA/Video settings are going to play a large factor as well.

More detailed information is needed.

Fair enough, as I said, the processor/ram will be updated soon, probably to the top end i7 plus 16gb 3000/3200ghz ram, more if that'd help. It'd be good to know how many cores/how much ram the game can actually take advantage of?

Any more info needed on the current processor/ram?

graphic settings:

36969642_10214075136807173_8347372727660707840_n.thumb.jpg.a23829e4ffcb4f76d5531ce196b5e5dc.jpg

I usually max out graphics where possible, though if it's a less noticeable setting and it gets more Z on screen then I could probably drop them down...

- - - Updated - - -

well failfail i ran max 64 zombie count and my rig handled that barely tho and i run a potato just ask any1 here :)

Awesome :) what kind of fps did you get if you don't mind me asking?

I run a pretty stable 60 with the periodic drop into the mid-50's. I could run it up into the 90's but it's annoying having it jump up and down all the time.

Shadows and reflections are going to tank your FPS more than any other setting because they haven't been optimized at all yet.

For more details on what I run, look here. Currently my i7-3930k only falls about 10 points short of a 7700k, and I could easily clock it to close that gap. Seriously though, a difference of almost 1GHz in the core clock speed netted an FPS gain of about 15 on the low end.

Note that I only OC'ed my CPU to 4.2Ghz. I can push it to 4.5 without issues, but I'm trying to make it last a bit longer so I don't run that regularly.

CPU is absolutely going to help the most. I had the same CPU as Sylen and went to a 6800K (and then OC'd to 4.4ghz) and it made a pretty huge difference in regards to FPS dips.

As for RAM, I've had the game use almost all of my 32GB due to a bug. :D But 16GB just for the game is more normal for large mods (like Ravenhearst and Starvation).

My biggest problem isn't FPS - that's typically okay. It's server comms. Anything more than 8 absolutely tanks my ability to open containers, and I've been as far as 2-3 real-time minutes behind the host and what they're seeing in game. It made horde night unplayable.

My biggest problem isn't FPS - that's typically okay. It's server comms. Anything more than 8 absolutely tanks my ability to open containers, and I've been as far as 2-3 real-time minutes behind the host and what they're seeing in game. It made horde night unplayable.

This is something that typically happens when you have a high ping to the server, did not exclude the client from security software and is causing local latency, or you're on a network connection that has very limited bandwidth, like Wifi. The added latency causes you to de-sync from the server.

Can totally be fixed, but will need you to open a thread in the support section with the information I require. Check the Sticky FAQ thread for tips also.

This is something that typically happens when you have a high ping to the server, did not exclude the client from security software and is causing local latency, or you're on a network connection that has very limited bandwidth, like Wifi. The added latency causes you to de-sync from the server.

Can totally be fixed, but will need you to open a thread in the support section with the information I require. Check the Sticky FAQ thread for tips also.

It's almost definitely the server's connection. My friend is hosting (not dedicated) on a DSL connection that's supposed to be 6 Mb, but can be as low as 3, so he can play relatively low-latency with his wife, and I join from halfway across the country. I suppose I could check on security software exclusions, but I think that would be about the only possible improvement that hasn't already been tried. Thanks for the info.

Related question: If I have a 100 Mb down/20 Mb up connection, and host with both of them joining, is it likely to work better for everyone?

I'll look at the support section and post there when I'm at my home machine.

I run a pretty stable 60 with the periodic drop into the mid-50's. I could run it up into the 90's but it's annoying having it jump up and down all the time.

Shadows and reflections are going to tank your FPS more than any other setting because they haven't been optimized at all yet.

For more details on what I run, look here. Currently my i7-3930k only falls about 10 points short of a 7700k, and I could easily clock it to close that gap. Seriously though, a difference of almost 1GHz in the core clock speed netted an FPS gain of about 15 on the low end.

Note that I only OC'ed my CPU to 4.2Ghz. I can push it to 4.5 without issues, but I'm trying to make it last a bit longer so I don't run that regularly.

ok, so, ran a little test last night, set my gamestage to 3500 and set blood moon count to 64 per player, and console'd max allowed zombies to 200.

Seemed to work, I got a pretty big horde spawning they wouldn't exactly stay still to be counted, but it certainly looked to be somewhere over 100 at least, but even on my graphics settings (max shadows/reflections etc) I managed to get 20-30 fps at the low end, which was more than playable. So I guess I could either enjoy 40-60 fps with my upgrade, or push it to 300 zombies :D

What's the largest number people have managed? I looked into the gamestage xml and it looks like the max alive for even the highest blood moon is 256, is that a hard cap?

I would imagine it is a hard cap, just like the hard cap was once 16, and then 32. As the abilities of the engine have expanded, and the code supports it, they have been increasing the cap as they can. Which is pretty nice.

I haven't tested it fully, but on an initial run the max number of Z's on the server hovered around 250-260 until we started adding screamer hordes.

I would imagine it is a hard cap, just like the hard cap was once 16, and then 32. As the abilities of the engine have expanded, and the code supports it, they have been increasing the cap as they can. Which is pretty nice.

I haven't tested it fully, but on an initial run the max number of Z's on the server hovered around 250-260 until we started adding screamer hordes.

sounds about right, and would match with the BM horde limits in the xml.

as far as I can tell, the factors effecting it are:

gamestage maxalive (increasing to around 100 at a time at 1000 or so GS, and maxing out at 256 alive at about 2300 GS)

server maxalive (which I believe is set at 60 default, I cranked it up to 200 without difficulty through console though)

BM count per player (seems to act as a performance limit, rather than a multiplier of how many spawn?)

So overall, so long as your BM count per player and server max alive allow it, the gamestage will spawn up to its max number. which is a little weird as I'm sure I had more than 64 spawning for me during my test (where I set sg MaxSpawnedZombies 200 in console). Maybe console overriding the maxspawn also overrides the per player limit

EDIT:

ok, so, after a little more testing and realising the debug menu helpfully counts zombies for you, every previous time I'm assuming I had 64 zombies max. Once my GF gets her computer back and I can test multiple players I'll see how many it takes to frag a pc :D

Archived