Brainstorming: Melee Combat System

Jacoviz

Hi guys, i am a guy that really like the melee combat in all the games and i want to open a thread to discuss how the 7 days to die melee combat system need to be in your opinion to be cool, immersive and funny. Post your ideas and compare even with other games (dead Island, dying light for ex.). IMO we need new animations (that are coming in a17 hopefully) for the swings and new type of moves like parry, orizontal swings and Vertical, ecc.. the most important thing is that zombies have to react the best possibile realistically to our hits.

The best way to do this is to make the swinging animation a lot faster and increase the rate of the hits you can deal. Obviously the damage of the weapon have to be decreased. So we Have Now a fast attack and a heavy one.

I'd be happy to have secondary attacks depending on right/left click and having a shield.

Primary on weapon is normal attack secondary is slow and a special effect depending on weapon (bleeding/stun/whatever)

Primary on shield is blocking attack, shield would take damages, and secondary would bea knock back.

Holding a key (alt?) would be the shortcut for the shield.

that would make fights more dynamic :rapture:

I'm not a fan of over-complicating melee combat in this game. The zombie ai is fairly arcade-y, and combat with them is equally simple. 1 or 2 attacks might be ok, but zombies don't really need Witcher 3 melee mechanics to bash them. Same with ranged fighting, we don't really need CoD level gun mechanics to shoot a zombie in the head.

In short, I'm a fan of keeping things simple.

How would you do that with K&M?

Look at dying light, i know that this game it s an indie game but i Think that they can do it a little better. For ex.:

The best way to do this is to make the swinging animation a lot faster and increase the rate of the hits you can deal. Obviously the damage of the weapon have to be decreased.

- - - Updated - - -

What about being able to hold a shield in your left hand? And right clicking brings the shield up, blocking frontal attacks?

I don't Think shields Will fit this game but blocking with weapons Will be cool.

I think the best way to improve the melee and projectile system would be to change how the reticule functions. I would like to see an expanding and contracting tracking oval that dictates where your character is going to hit and tracks parts of zeds like the head. The reason I want to see this is because it helps simulate how your character reacts to the environment. It lets game design move away from damage and weapons stats and instead lets you focus on building a character's style of play.

Let me give you a scenario. You're a fresh spawn and need a wood club. It's going to break quick, but it'll get you a couple kills. With the reticule system, you're going to see that it doesn't expand very quick and contracts faster than an iron club. You could be out of breath and still accurately hit in the head with a (tiny) bit of patience. Yeah it isn't hitting hard, but normal zeds will go down with no issue. Let's say you're cold and kinda stiff. You're not going to be able to swing as accurately with frozen fingers. Or you're hot and sweaty and don't have a great grip on the club. There's tons of factors that could make it more interesting to swing the club at the head, and this makes the weapon skills better than just for damage.

Another scenario. Say we found a pistol and some ammo. Right now if you aim at the head, it's easy to miss because of the head bobbing that zombies have. If we had a reticule that bobbed with it as a sort of visible compensation based on skill, wellness (not that stat, but just general character wellness) and the kind of buffs you have (like coffee will be better for a gunslinger than alcohol unless you build your character that way), it could be a far more immersive system where our character has an effect on accuracy. It can also help reduce the frustration on wasting ammo because of head bob.

Again, back to the pistol, we get trapped in a corner by a sleeper we didn't see and are stunned. Our aim is going to be all over the place, but because out character knows to aim for the head, we can get a couple of shots off just because our reticule automatically tracks the head. Stuff like pistols and SMGs will get the most out of this at the early levels.

The best thing about this is we can override this as players by simply aiming in with weapons we can aim. Plenty of players can already aim better than you'd get at early levels so the tradeoff works out nicely.

Look at dying light, i know that this game it s an indie game but i Think that they can do it a little better. For ex.:

The best way to do this is to make the swinging animation a lot faster and increase the rate of the hits you can deal. Obviously the damage of the weapon have to be decreased.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't Think shields Will fit this game but blocking with weapons Will be cool.

I haven't played Dying Light. How does swinging the weapon faster give hits feedback?

We definitely could use some kind of blocking/kicking/shove defensive action. And I don't want "easy mode" block where you roll away or block and you're automatically safe. Make it directional and make it so you'd have to time it right. This way it won't work when you're surrounded and being hit from all sides - you need to be aware of your positioning the same as in a street fight...

The best system is one where you can always do something but you'd have to get skilled on using the abilities. When you get stunned and there is nothing you can do, it's not fun at all and drinking beer that just excludes the stun is a boring solution - just keep up your passive buff...

The zombie body should react to all' the hits that is different from what we Have Now.

That I can agree with, though, since I mostly use the knife perks, I don't think we need to swing our weapons any faster to do that. Knives are already pretty fast.

Archived